Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We Mods need your help in creating a Bird Rescue database.

It is a sad fact of life that not all rescues are created equal. Some in fact, are quite terrible.
We would like to give some recognition to the wonderful Rescues out there.

We don't want rescues found from Google. We want rescues that you would recommend based on your own experiences or someone you trust recommends them.
They must be legitimate rescues who adopt out their birds.
We would like this database to be helpful not only to people wanting to adopt a bird, but for those who find themselves in a position that they must surrender their bird.

Please keep that in mind when adding a rescue. Think about whether you would surrender your own bird to a rescue you are thinking of mentioning.

As always we appreciate your help!

This thread will remain open for people to suggest rescues, and the rescues will be listed by location on another thread, along with your reviews of the rescue you are recommending.
Please give us enough information to find the rescue, including a link.

Here is the link to the rescues recommended: Bird Rescues recommended by Members

As always, thank you all for your help!
~The Mod Team

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Xb TALK.jpg

"This is Xanderbird I like you,
you like me? The Terry is the
best rescue in whole world.
She has great big place, lots
of birdz, great big husban,
they loves alll birds. I like you,
you like me? Send all birdzs
to Terry, I live there toO! I like

you, you like me?"

Sorry!

(lol)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
View attachment 36901
"This is Xanderbird I like you,
you like me? The Terry is the
best rescue in whole world.
She has great big place, lots
of birdz, great big husban,
they loves alll birds. I like you,
you like me? Send all birdzs
to Terry, I live there toO! I like

you, you like me?"

Sorry!

(lol)
OMG, what are you trying to do to me?!?LOL

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
We Mods need your help in creating a Bird Rescue database.

It is a sad fact of life that not all rescues are created equal. Some in fact, are quite terrible.
We would like to give some recognition to the wonderful Rescues out there.

We don't want rescues found from Google. We want rescues that you would recommend based on your own experiences or someone you trust recommends them.
They must be legitimate rescues who adopt out their birds.
We would like this database to be helpful not only to people wanting to adopt a bird, but for those who find themselves in a position that they must surrender their bird.

Please keep that in mind when adding a rescue. Think about whether you would surrender your own bird to a rescue you are thinking of mentioning.

As always we appreciate your help!

This thread will remain open for people to suggest rescues, and the rescues will be listed by location on another thread, along with your reviews of the rescue you are recommending.
Please give us enough information to find the rescue, including a link.

Here is the link to the rescues recommended: Bird Rescues recommended by Members

As always, thank you all for your help!
~The Mod Team
Does it have to be a rescue you use(d), or just one you've donated to or support?

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Does it have to be a rescue you use(d), or just one you've donated to or support?
Basically, it should be one that you would trust to surrender your birds to if necessary.
I'm assuming that if one donates to and supports a rescue that you would feel comfortable with them taking care of your birds:)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Basically, it should be one that you would trust to surrender your birds to if necessary.
I'm assuming that if one donates to and supports a rescue that you would feel comfortable with them taking care of your birds:)
Ok! Then I'd recommend Cheeky Beak Parrot Rescue. They're one of the few rescues in South Africa, and they have birds all over the country. They're a little different than most rescues. By that, I mean they work using fosters, and don't have a physical location where all birds are housed. They also work mainly on birds being surrendered to them and less of going out and saving the,

In order to adopt a bird you fill out an online application for a specific bird(s), and if they think you are a match they'll let you meet the bird in person and decide from there whether you should be allowed to adopt or not.

I really like the rescue. I once went to a foster's house and I really enjoyed seeing the birds but it was also sad because one of the birds, a cockatiel named Pikachu, came from a really bad home. When I saw him/her, (s)he was half the size a cockatiel should be! ;( The poor lil' guy's feathers were so terrible because of the diet (s)he used to have, (s)he didn't even have down feathers!(and no, it wasn't PBFD, they had multiple tests done for him) That's what happens to birds who eat only sunflower seeds and millet :(

This is the rescue:

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok! Then I'd recommend Cheeky Beak Parrot Rescue. They're one of the few rescues in South Africa, and they have birds all over the country. They're a little different than most rescues. By that, I mean they work using fosters, and don't have a physical location where all birds are housed. They also work mainly on birds being surrendered to them and less of going out and saving the,

In order to adopt a bird you fill out an online application for a specific bird(s), and if they think you are a match they'll let you meet the bird in person and decide from there whether you should be allowed to adopt or not.

I really like the rescue. I once went to a foster's house and I really enjoyed seeing the birds but it was also sad because one of the birds, a cockatiel named Pikachu, came from a really bad home. When I saw him/her, (s)he was half the size a cockatiel should be! ;( The poor lil' guy's feathers were so terrible because of the diet (s)he used to have, (s)he didn't even have down feathers!(and no, it wasn't PBFD, they had multiple tests done for him) That's what happens to birds who eat only sunflower seeds and millet :(

This is the rescue:
If I had to(for any reason) rehome my birds, I'd use them!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
This project is a win for two big reasons.
A list of worldwide rescues is so needed!
But! The method used to keep the information in the same format is pure genius!
Loveland Colorado.

I have to do some more snooping on the Clearwater site before I recommend them!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
This project is a win for two big reasons.
A list of worldwide rescues is so needed!
But! The method used to keep the information in the same format is pure genius!
Loveland Colorado.

I have to do some more snooping on the Clearwater site before I recommend them!
Thank you, David!
I'm not sure what "information in the same format" means, but thank you!lol

Can you please write a review for the rescue in Colorado as to why you recommend them pretty please?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey, these guys may very well not qualify as they are not a rescue - they are a parrot store that also does boarding, hand raises babies, etc, so they are not non-profit. They’re called β€œInca’s Secret” and they’re located in Kent, WA.

However, they take in birds that need rehoming on consignment. The cost, last I checked, to β€œadopt” these birds is rarely anywhere near what they’d β€œretail” for as babies, but still high enough to deter someone casually looking for an exotic pet. I know they call it β€œconsignment” but I am not certain if all of the birds they take in are consigned or if some are simply surrendered; I’ve never had reason to ask. These birds are seen by a vet and are cared for as you might care for your own bird at home. They arrange to allow the public (I’ve visited their birds many times :) ) to see the birds and say hello, and are always happy to introduce you to whichever birds are in their semi-permanent boarding. I’ve inquired about adopting before, and if you’re interested in adopting a bird, you have to come visit multiple times and the bird must show interest in you before you can talk about taking them home, which sounded about right to me. They don’t just take the β€œpretty” birds either; I’ve seen feather pluckers all the way up to an extremely large scarlet macaw who was sweet to me, but had been abused by her former owner who was male, to the point that she was not considered very safe around men.

Furthermore, Lisa & Jeff & all of the employees have always been wonderful about answering any questions I’ve ever had about my own birds, reccomending local (avian certified) vets as well as providing grooming services on the weekends at a low cost and requiring proof of CBC/yearly exam to bring in pet birds - they have the most stringent disease testing I’ve seen locally for boarding; we had to have a slew of tests sent off before ours could stay. The birds in their care are offered a balanced diet of chop made locally or in house & pellets, with some healthy treats depending on the bird. There is almost always someone hanging out in the β€œbird room” watching tv or cleaning or playing with the parrots also.

Again, they are not purely a rescue, so they might not meet the criteria for your list, and if so I apologize! If something terrible happened and we were no longer able to care for Kirby, they would be the first folks I’d call. They already know him well from his visits for nail trims & boarding, and they handled him with ease (he really seemed to like them). Also, important to me anyway, they know their resources and limits and will turn you down if they don’t have the capacity for another bird, which ensures the ones in their care receive adequate attention. I have seen too many rescues in my time volunteering with cats/dogs that chronically overextend themselves, and in the end it’s always the animals that pay.

I am aware that WA state, the Seattle area in particular, is fairly blessed to have other rescues as well as a no-kill city shelter equipped to handle smaller bird species like budgies and cockatiels, but I don’t have any experience with the other rescues like I do these guys.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hey, these guys may very well not qualify as they are not a rescue - they are a parrot store that also does boarding, hand raises babies, etc, so they are not non-profit. They’re called β€œInca’s Secret” and they’re located in Kent, WA.

However, they take in birds that need rehoming on consignment. The cost, last I checked, to β€œadopt” these birds is rarely anywhere near what they’d β€œretail” for as babies, but still high enough to deter someone casually looking for an exotic pet. I know they call it β€œconsignment” but I am not certain if all of the birds they take in are consigned or if some are simply surrendered; I’ve never had reason to ask. These birds are seen by a vet and are cared for as you might care for your own bird at home. They arrange to allow the public (I’ve visited their birds many times :) ) to see the birds and say hello, and are always happy to introduce you to whichever birds are in their semi-permanent boarding. I’ve inquired about adopting before, and if you’re interested in adopting a bird, you have to come visit multiple times and the bird must show interest in you before you can talk about taking them home, which sounded about right to me. They don’t just take the β€œpretty” birds either; I’ve seen feather pluckers all the way up to an extremely large scarlet macaw who was sweet to me, but had been abused by her former owner who was male, to the point that she was not considered very safe around men.

Furthermore, Lisa & Jeff & all of the employees have always been wonderful about answering any questions I’ve ever had about my own birds, reccomending local (avian certified) vets as well as providing grooming services on the weekends at a low cost and requiring proof of CBC/yearly exam to bring in pet birds - they have the most stringent disease testing I’ve seen locally for boarding; we had to have a slew of tests sent off before ours could stay. The birds in their care are offered a balanced diet of chop made locally or in house & pellets, with some healthy treats depending on the bird. There is almost always someone hanging out in the β€œbird room” watching tv or cleaning or playing with the parrots also.

Again, they are not purely a rescue, so they might not meet the criteria for your list, and if so I apologize! If something terrible happened and we were no longer able to care for Kirby, they would be the first folks I’d call. They already know him well from his visits for nail trims & boarding, and they handled him with ease (he really seemed to like them). Also, important to me anyway, they know their resources and limits and will turn you down if they don’t have the capacity for another bird, which ensures the ones in their care receive adequate attention. I have seen too many rescues in my time volunteering with cats/dogs that chronically overextend themselves, and in the end it’s always the animals that pay.

I am aware that WA state, the Seattle area in particular, is fairly blessed to have other rescues as well as a no-kill city shelter equipped to handle smaller bird species like budgies and cockatiels, but I don’t have any experience with the other rescues like I do these guys.
They certainly tick many of the boxes. Let me check with the other Mods and I'll get back to you:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

You vouching for them makes them eligible to add here. I just added them, along with your review:)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Thank you, David!
I'm not sure what "information in the same format" means, but thank you!lol

Can you please write a review for the rescue in Colorado as to why you recommend them pretty please?
Sorry! Missed the obviously needed part about a review! On it’s way! Soon-ish!

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Parrot hope rescue in Mantua ohio

Just got my fid from there. They offer classes open house events foster to adopt and ongoing support after adoption. Nice people and nice website too

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Parrot hope rescue in Mantua ohio

Just got my fid from there. They offer classes open house events foster to adopt and ongoing support after adoption. Nice people and nice website too
Thank you! I added it:)

Squeeing_Onion

Oct 10, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
"Bongo" - Green Cheek Conure
β€œEcho” - Indian Ringneck
"Chicken" - Sun Conure, rest in peace, my precious friend.
PAEP in Forest Lake, Minnesota. It's run by a mother/daughter.

I wouldn't call them as strict a rescue as one that does in-home checks and such, but my impression has always been that they do their darndest to do right by the birds, and they genuinely look for good owners and want to see that the parrot likes the people. They're not afraid to translate bird language, including the answers some people don't want to hear!

I adopted my very first parrot from them, and I board my parrots there. They do boarding, discounted toys and perches and such, and offer some classes for learning how to make toys I think maybe a few on parrot behavior. They're willing to trim nails, and they're actually the only people besides myself I trust to touch my parrot's claws after some bad veterinarian experiences.

They also sell cages at extremely discounted prices, when available -- I picked up my Indian Ringneck's big one for only $75.00

They've taken in birds from the tiny finches and budgies rescued from hoarders, to a macaw who was so heinously abused, he stayed at their rescue for seven years before finally finding a forever home. His past owner used to light his feathers on fire whenever he made noise! He was a quiet bird because of it, and very willing and very ready at any second to snap someone's finger off. He was, hands-down, the most 'dangerous' parrot I have ever met. They didn't even bat an eye, just kept on caring for him and keeping him as happy as they could in his massive cage, and respecting his space.

They feed all the birds, both adoptees and boarders (unless an owner has specific diet requirements for their own birdies) a good mix of pellets and chop, and change the water. I've liked the volunteers I meet there, particularly the ones who have been with the rescue for several years.

They also like to keep in touch with adopters, and if anything goes wrong with the bird's placement, they take them right back. I've met a few birds there who had tried a few homes that didn't fit for one reason or another (usually on the people's part), until finally finding their forever home.

This is more of a side personal note, but Renee (the owner of the rescue) collects many of the molted feathers when they do cage cleanings. (The trays all get washed every day instead of bothering with papers, they've got an awesome little table-shower nook for doing just that!) She then gives me the feathers, and I match them in pairs, clean them up, and then make earrings from them. Any profit I donate right back to the rescue, and I get to have fun playing with hundreds of pretty colored feathers!

I can't even bear the thought of such a situation, but if crap hit the fan, I would trust PAEP to find good homes for my birdie babies.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Manchester Animal Shelter, Manchester VT

We adopted a guinea pig from them, and based off PetFinder Pages, they keep all their budgies (and they only really get budgies) in large flight cages with plenty of toys!

Most Reactions

Latest posts