PLEASE HELP šŸšØ Cockatiel in discomfort

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I have a 2-3 month old male cockatiel named Kiko :)

We got him from a breeder, with his wings clipped. Now, they are slowly starting to grow back and he is now starting to fly a greater length.

Kiko is a very rough baby. Heā€™s rough and breaks his own feathers sometimes. Heā€™s sweet with us and letā€™s us kiss and pet him, but bites if we try to grab or wrap our Hands around him. Like 2 weeks ago, Kiko pulled a blood feather. He was in pain in his right wing, and started to bleed so we took him to a friend who has been raising birds for a long time. She pulled out the blood feather completely and he stoped bleeding and was no longer in pain.

now that he has started to fly, every time he flies a great length, his right wing (where he hurt himself) bothers him. He moves it in a flipping way and sometimes makes a little painful sound. But, after a couple of minutes it goes away and heā€™s back to normal.

he does NOT appear to be sick, and his wing does not look broken or severely injured. I think it bothers him where he pulled that blood feather from every time he flies too much

MY QUESTION: should I clip or trim his wings so he canā€™t fly a great length, until his wing is fully recovered? I donā€™t like to see him bothered or in pain and I canā€™t go to a vet at the moment (I also donā€™t think I need to go to one because he appears to be not ill) Iā€™m also scared he will bump into something and get hurt since he canā€™t fly very well and is a baby.

below is a pic of where our friend pulled the feather And where he was bleeding from (the place is healing slowly, it looks a lot better than before.) and also a vid of him doing the wing thing.

Please help me :(
CA73768E-00F3-48C5-9721-9FB6C20F8F3B.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum, SafamirzašŸ¤.
Sadly, it sounds like the breeder may have clipped his wings before he fledged. That would explain how rough he is on his feathers.
None of my cockatiels liked being held around their body, and they would have panicked at being grabbed. I think he will calm down if you let him sit on your hand rather than try to hold him in your hand.

I have had a few birds who broke a blood feather, and when it was pulled out it was sore for a couple of days, but not for weeks. If there was trouble removing the blood feather I think the pain could last longer, until it heals.

Personally, I would not clip the other feathers. It will not help with the pain of the pulled feather, and you would have to keep him clipped until the pulled feather finally comes in again.

I wasn't able to view your video, here are instructions to help:

https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/how-to-post-videos.90717/

I'm so glad you joined us and I'm sure you will get more advice to help your sweet baby.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Sadly, it sounds like the breeder may have clipped his wings before he fledged. That would explain how rough he is on his feathers.
None of my cockatiels liked being held around their body, and they would have panicked at being grabbed. I think he will calm down if you let him sit on your hand rather than try to hold him in your hand.

I have had a few birds who broke a blood feather, and when it was pulled out it was sore for a couple of days, but not for weeks. If there was trouble removing the blood feather I think the pain could last longer, until it heals.

Personally, I would not clip the other feathers. It will not help with the pain of the pulled feather, and you would have to keep him clipped until the pulled feather finally comes in again.

I'm so glad you joined us and I'm sure you will get more advice to help your sweet baby.

Thanks so much for your quick reply and warm welcome!

My main concern was that it hurts him for a little bit after he flies a great length. But I guess it won't hurt him, once his wing is fully healed. As for the crashes, he bumps into things sometimes (never crashed seriously into anything so far!) So, is that ok? will he learn on his own? I don't want him to have a major injury while learning!

If you are still there, Terry, or for anyone interested in looking at the video, it is linked below (hopefully it works this time.) there are 2 links, let me know what works!

file:///home/chronos/u-be4f9284578a9c1ce48886e2e976734e8a736053/MyFiles/Downloads/kiko's%20wing.pdf

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I requested access so I can see:)
For babies who were clipped before they fledge, they should learn to fly safely but it takes them longer.
Once his wing is healed I think he will do much better.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have heard of people letting young birds climb around and fly a little bit in their bedroom. They have it set up so the birds mostly stay on the bed. Other things are covered with sheets or something so their clumsy young bird wonā€™t fly into it.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts