Please help - from a Daughter for her Mum x

Stephmol

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Golden Blue Macaw
Hello everyone,

I'm so glad I've found this forum and I am hoping I've found the right community of people to help ..

My family Golden Blue Macaw, Mickey, suddenly and unexpectantly passed away on Saturday and my poor mum, Lisa, is in bits. Having a parrot for over twenty years is like having a child and he was a real part of the family as he was 23 - and we thought he was going to outlive all of us!

I was hoping, as you are all like-minded parrot lovers that you understand her sorrow and help her understand that Mickey will always be remembered - maybe even share photos and funny stories of your birds as well.

I'm sorry if this isn't allowed or the right place to post, I just feel so helpless at the minute and I think having a nice forum of well-wishes and nice posts will lift her spirits and help her grieve. I think unless you have a parrot, you know how special and like a little person they are.

A huge, huge thank you from a Daughter just trying to cheer her mum up xxx

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 19.21.42.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 19.21.42.png
    376.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 19.22.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 19.22.29.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 19.22.52.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 19.22.52.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 132

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so very sorry for your loss of Mickey, he was such a beautiful boy. This is the perfect place to post, we all understand the heartbreak of losing a feathered family member. Please give your Mom my deepest condolences. Mickey will always be remembered, and it's so obvious how much he was loved. Please feel free to share stories about him if you would like to.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums Stephmol, I’m so sorry for the circumstances but so glad you found us.

Birds like Mickey very quickly carve out very special places in our hearts and leave such an awful, aching void in our lives when they are gone. As you yourself have mentioned, they are not merely pets, they most definitely are family, as every member of this community well understands. Please pass on my sincere condolences to your mum, I’m so sorry for the loss of Mickey.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, darling boy, until we all meet again.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Stephmol,

I was moved by your message and may I add you have my admiration for what you are doing for your mother. As a son, I have just recently lost my mother but I was blessed to be able to be in charge of her care on her last two years and stood by her until the very end.

Please receive my condolences for the loss of Mickey, when they go so sudden and unexpectedly it always leaves a sense of helplessness and a painful void. Your mother and your family have my respects for taking so good care of Mickey that is one of the most challenging parrot species to take responsibility.

I think that sharing stories and pictures is a very nice idea to support your mother at this moment. I will share a happy story.

I will tell you about my Sam a pacific parrotlet (the smallest of all parrots). He came to me with 17 days old, still in the hand feeding phase and his first reaction to my hand was to prepare an attack and open his beak! I thought, "come on! You are still a baby!" A brave baby, he won my heart at that very moment for showing so much spirit. He is now with 4 months and is a wonderful companion, very sweet and patient, a real character. Today I opened his cage to let him out for sometime and usually he is eager to get out. Not today...he was eating and looked me as saying.."can you wait a moment please". I laugh and let the door open, when he finnished he stepped up in the door and waited for my hand to pick him up... :) :)

Here is a pic of a pacific parrotlet:

6a6871f79eaa80de433e55d48f59bd4e.jpg

OP
Stephmol

Stephmol

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Golden Blue Macaw
I am so very sorry for your loss of Mickey, he was such a beautiful boy. This is the perfect place to post, we all understand the heartbreak of losing a feathered family member. Please give your Mom my deepest condolences. Mickey will always be remembered, and it's so obvious how much he was loved. Please feel free to share stories about him if you would like to.
Thank you so much Terry for taking the time to respond, I know when I show my Mum these forums she will take comfort knowing how special he was xxx

OP
Stephmol

Stephmol

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Golden Blue Macaw
Hi Stephmol,

I was moved by your message and may I add you have my admiration for what you are doing for your mother. As a son, I have just recently lost my mother but I was blessed to be able to be in charge of her care on her last two years and stood by her until the very end.

Please receive my condolences for the loss of Mickey, when they go so sudden and unexpectedly it always leaves a sense of helplessness and a painful void. Your mother and your family have my respects for taking so good care of Mickey that is one of the most challenging parrot species to take responsibility.

I think that sharing stories and pictures is a very nice idea to support your mother at this moment. I will share a happy story.

I will tell you about my Sam a pacific parrotlet (the smallest of all parrots). He came to me with 17 days old, still in the hand feeding phase and his first reaction to my hand was to prepare an attack and open his beak! I thought, "come on! You are still a baby!" A brave baby, he won my heart at that very moment for showing so much spirit. He is now with 4 months and is a wonderful companion, very sweet and patient, a real character. Today I opened his cage to let him out for sometime and usually he is eager to get out. Not today...he was eating and looked me as saying.."can you wait a moment please". I laugh and let the door open, when he finnished he stepped up in the door and waited for my hand to pick him up... :) :)

Here is a pic of a pacific parrotlet:

6a6871f79eaa80de433e55d48f59bd4e.jpg
First of all, thank you so much for your heartwarming and response and my deepest condolences for your Mum. Very blessed to have a son like you to look after her and please know she is always with you.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, I love finding out how they all have their own little personalities - most of them are all very sassy! xx

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Stephmol, a perfectly placed touching tribute to Mickey.

Please convey my deepest condolences for the loss of Mickey to your mum. He was a gorgeous, beloved family member. I hope in time Mickey's treasured memories outshine the despair and disappointment of his passing.

OP
Stephmol

Stephmol

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Golden Blue Macaw
Welcome Stephmol, a perfectly placed touching tribute to Mickey.

Please convey my deepest condolences for the loss of Mickey to your mum. He was a gorgeous, beloved family member. I hope in time Mickey's treasured memories outshine the despair and disappointment of his passing.
Scott, thank you for your lovely message it means a lot xx

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thank you for sharing this. It's very brave.
I will almost surely be in Mum's shoes, maybe sooner, maybe later... The Rb will be 38 next year!
I'm so glad you're here.
May I share a thought that's precious to me?
When one of our birds passes, it passes while LOVED.
And that is a treasure, and an honor, and a great thing. So many animals and people die without that.
But not our darlings. Not ours, never ever ever.
I believe they take that into Eternity with them.
xo

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I too share our other members sentiments at your mom's loss. I lost my little Max after 6 years. So sudden, fine at 3:00PM and he passed somewhere around 6. I'm a pretty stern person, accused of being too much so sometimes. I bawled like a baby, and even now writing this my eyes are kinda getting watery. parrots are so much more than pets, they become family, literally. The only thing that helps me is to remember all the great times and things Maxie did with the whole family. Tiny parrot, BIG personality. I believe your Mom will meet Mikey one day again, as he swoops in to say "Hello, where ya been, let's play, Mom! ".

OP
Stephmol

Stephmol

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Golden Blue Macaw
Thank you for sharing this. It's very brave.
I will almost surely be in Mum's shoes, maybe sooner, maybe later... The Rb will be 38 next year!
I'm so glad you're here.
May I share a thought that's precious to me?
When one of our birds passes, it passes while LOVED.
And that is a treasure, and an honor, and a great thing. So many animals and people die without that.
But not our darlings. Not ours, never ever ever.
I believe they take that into Eternity with them.
xo
Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt sentiment, it means the world to hear how all of our feathery friends are so loved! 🥰 xx

OP
Stephmol

Stephmol

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
Golden Blue Macaw
I too share our other members sentiments at your mom's loss. I lost my little Max after 6 years. So sudden, fine at 3:00PM and he passed somewhere around 6. I'm a pretty stern person, accused of being too much so sometimes. I bawled like a baby, and even now writing this my eyes are kinda getting watery. parrots are so much more than pets, they become family, literally. The only thing that helps me is to remember all the great times and things Maxie did with the whole family. Tiny parrot, BIG personality. I believe your Mom will meet Mikey one day again, as he swoops in to say "Hello, where ya been, let's play, Mom! ".
I'm so sorry to hear about Max, like you said they are truly part of the family. I love the idea of Mickey and my Mum reunited one day together, thank you so much for your comment xx

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm so sorry for your loss. You have come to the right place! My baby just passed away as well and even though I've never met anyone( ok just one person)on the forum,everyone here is very loving and supportive.
Sending you and your mum feathered hugs

Most Reactions

Latest posts