Please help - Green cheek is acting strange.

KiwiNDucky

Mar 6, 2022
Parrots
Two green cheek conures.
One of my green cheeks is acting off, as written.

He has been shaking his head repeatedly, clicking and moving his tongue, and it sounds like he is trying to get something out of his throat or mouth with a suction sound or puff sound.

This has been going on for about 30 minutes now.

Still continuing other normal functions as being able to make noises, breathing normally (it seems), and other behaviors except for eating and drinking, and does seem to be closing his eyes a bit, which I assume may be due to him being tired from this.

Any idea on what this could be? He is young (2 years old) and hasn't had anything like this happen to him previously.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Honestly, none of us here are vets so trying to diagnose something is not the best. WHat is the best advice any of can give you - if you have doubts about how your parrot is acting , get him/her looked at ASAP by a Certified Avian Vet, not a dog/cat vet. Parrots hide illness right up to the point where they are REALLY sick. Often it is too late by then, or makes the cure very difficult.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Birds hide their illness until it's too late, so the moment you have ONE SINGLE CONCERN, go see a CAV immediately.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This sounds very serious, as above will need help from avian veterinarian quickly.

Keep warm and stress free with favorite foods till you can get him in

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know this is several days old-didn’t see it before. The head shaking and beak movements make me think your conure is or was vomiting. How is he doing now?

Most Reactions

Latest posts