Please help, i think my bird is sick.

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I had noticed today that my one parrot started sleeping directly while it played, her behavior was normal but she just got tired from nowhere, i have so much panic i dont want her to die ... she is now sleeping in her cage under her blanket.

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
I don't really
I had noticed today that my one parrot started sleeping directly while it played, her behavior was normal but she just got tired from nowhere, i have so much panic i dont want her to die ... she is now sleeping in her cage under her blanket.
I don't think she is sick. Maybe she took something that is making her to behave strange . I the parrot a female . If yes . She's probably carrying some furniture babies . How ever if the behavior those not change I advice you to contact a vect
I don't think she is sick. Maybe she took something that is making her to behave strange . Is the parrot a female . If yes . She's probably carrying some furniture babies . How ever if the behavior those not change I advice you to contact a vet .

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I don't really
I don't think she is sick. Maybe she took something that is making her to behave strange . I the parrot a female . If yes . She's probably carrying some furniture babies . How ever if the behavior those not change I advice you to contact a vect
I don't think she is sick. Maybe she took something that is making her to behave strange . Is the parrot a female . If yes . She's probably carrying some furniture babies . How ever if the behavior those not change I advice you to contact
She is still sleepy but she is eating, is it a good sign?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Actually a new behavior like sleeping more is a red flag, do you have a gram scale? You should weigh her.
Waiting a day can be a big mistake, I know firsthand.
When I first adopted my male cockatiel he started sleeping more and just not wanting to socialize, turns out he had a severe respiratory infection and would've died without antibiotics most likely.
Is her tail bobbing when she breathes even if she didn't just recently exert herself?
Is she puffy even though its not cold?

If she's still eating that's a good sign.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Just give her a day . If they is no change . Before you think of calling a vet
I have to disagree. You know your bird better than any of us can. If you have the option, ANYTIME you feel like something is wrong or notice a change in behavior that might indicate illness, contact your vet. They're much better equipped to decide if your bird needs to be seen. Bear in mind, as prey animals, parrots will do everything in their power to hide illness until they are no longer able. By the time we see those symptoms, they're very sick and as we've seen so many times, it may be too late. This is not meant to scare everyone into running to the vet all the time, but to just pay attention to your birds and follow your gut. Better safe than sorry, right?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I would be really concerned too, if my parrot started acting sleepy at an unusual time. I know it's the weekend and I don't know if any avian vets near you are available today but I would call them anyway - my emergency vet has someone on call and leaves their mobile nimber on their voicemail.

For a sick parrot, warmth can also be helpful. If there's a spot in the cage she spends a lot of time, you could make a hot water bottle with a ziptop bag, wrap in a light towel and put it next to or on top of the cage to provide a spot that's a little warmer.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Actually a new behavior like sleeping more is a red flag, do you have a gram scale? You should weigh her.
Waiting a day can be a big mistake, I know firsthand.
When I first adopted my male cockatiel he started sleeping more and just not wanting to socialize, turns out he had a severe respiratory infection and would've died without antibiotics most likely.
Is her tail bobbing when she breathes even if she didn't just recently exert herself?
Is she puffy even though its not cold?

If she's still eating that's a good sign.
She has been puffy, but now she stopped dig her head in the back, her droppings are watery but she ate eggs an cucumber, but no she doosent have trouble breathing and if she is weird tomorrow we Will bring her to a vet !

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I have to disagree. You know your bird better than any of us can. If you have the option, ANYTIME you feel like something is wrong or notice a change in behavior that might indicate illness, contact your vet. They're much better equipped to decide if your bird needs to be seen. Bear in mind, as prey animals, parrots will do everything in their power to hide illness until they are no longer able. By the time we see those symptoms, they're very sick and as we've seen so many times, it may be too late. This is not meant to scare everyone into running to the vet all the time, but to just pay attention to your birds and follow your gut. Better safe than sorry, right?
Yes ofc ive been worried but we Will call a vet tomorrow! She seems a little better but i want to be on the safe side all the way!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
She has been puffy, but now she stopped dig her head in the back, her droppings are watery but she ate eggs an cucumber, but no she doosent have trouble breathing and if she is weird tomorrow we Will bring her to a vet !
But uptade on this situation, i just want her to be okay, now she stopped dig her head in her back and now looks less puffy, her eyes are open and alert and shiny. I had gave her some foods that she liked and she ate very good. But my last question is if she is okay now would it be still be okay if i took her to a vet? Want to do a right thing in case?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
If you're able to take her to a vet, I myself still would. They can check things on just an exam like feeling her weight and checking inside her mouth to make sure she doesn't have signs of anything wrong in her crop, feeling for any eggs present. Some illnesses they would need bloodwork for, and if she's acting normally a lot of vets might wait on bloodwork for small birds, but they can still get a good amount of information by doing a full exam on her. I'm so glad she's doing better now though :)

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
If you're able to take her to a vet, I myself still would. They can check things on just an exam like feeling her weight and checking inside her mouth to make sure she doesn't have signs of anything wrong in her crop, feeling for any eggs present. Some illnesses they would need bloodwork for, and if she's acting normally a lot of vets might wait on bloodwork for small birds, but they can still get a good amount of information by doing a full exam on her. I'm so glad she's doing better now though :)
Yeah me too! I will call a vet tomorrow and hope to get a visit! Thankyou so much for helping in this situation!!πŸ˜„

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I will always advocate for a vet visit when you have any suspicion of heath related behavior. As noted above, parrots will try to hide any outward signs of sickness as much as they can - sick parrots are easy pickings for predators. In the future, get in the habit of weighing your parrot often, with a suitable kitchen scale that reads out in grams. A drop of more than 4 or 5%, along with a change in outward behavior, would send me to a visit to my Certified Avian Vet - very important that. A regular dog and cat doctor is not trained or equipped to diagnose avian health issues. A CAV is.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I will always advocate for a vet visit when you have any suspicion of heath related behavior. As noted above, parrots will try to hide any outward signs of sickness as much as they can - sick parrots are easy pickings for predators. In the future, get in the habit of weighing your parrot often, with a suitable kitchen scale that reads out in grams. A drop of more than 4 or 5%, along with a change in outward behavior, would send me to a visit to my Certified Avian Vet - very important that. A regular dog and cat doctor is not trained or equipped to diagnose avian health issues. A CAV is.
Ive tried to call every exotic vet, and the only vet that is avalibele is a cat and dog vet if she is worse, they said they Will only check on her or give her antibiotics. I dont know if its dangerous to give them antibiotics when they dont know the real issue. The only certified vets are avilbele on monday.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, giving antibiotics when they are not called for is not a good idea. Wait for a real CAV on Monday. Keep the lil guy warm, hydrated and relatively calm and collected until then.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Right, giving antibiotics when they are not called for is not a good idea. Wait for a real CAV on Monday. Keep the lil guy warm, hydrated and relatively calm and collected until then.
Yes!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s good, but now you are saying your bird has loose stool. If you can get her checked it would be good for her.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
That’s good, but now you are saying your bird has loose stool. If you can get her checked it would be good for her.
Yes but she just got loose stool after eating eggs , otherwise her poop is normal and her colour has not changed, my other bird had loose stool also after eating eggs

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Yes but she just got loose stool after eating eggs , otherwise her poop is normal and her colour has not changed, my other bird had loose stool also after eating eggs
Ive searched a little and found out that boiled can cuase loose stool. So i think she i fine

Most Reactions