Please help me avoid an expensive DNA if possible....I rather buy a toy!

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I'll do a DNA if there's no possibility of at least 95% certainty.

Here is a picture of my new Lutino Budgie...breeder think it's female, but I can't tell from the Cere coz he or she is Lutino...I'm a bit color challenged (lol), so what do you think?

A few observations:

He surprisingly tried to dominate my male Bourke (who never fights back), but so far gives into my Turquiosine female even if she tries to peck him/her. Bird is only few weeks old and half English Budgie and half the regular American Budgie. So far, he or she is quiet, no mating displays, but according to the breeder one of his male budgies tried to mount this bird.

Any thoughts?

What do

Attachments

• PXL_20221114_231818087.jpg
    PXL_20221114_231818087.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 53

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would bet girl... but if you're willing to wait, once she hits puberty (around a year old) itll become a lot more apparent.

Also just because a male bird mounted this one, doesnt clarify anything. Females will mount females. males males. females mount males. etc.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
There cere is blue....I'd bet a boy.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
really, it does have hints of blue from what I can fathom...but then I heard with Lutinos blue can be female too....arghhh...lol

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
There cere is blue....I'd bet a boy.
Nope, young females have light blue ceres. Adult males only have deep blue ceres, while young males have pink ceres:

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Nope, young females have light blue ceres. Adult males only have deep blue ceres, while young males have pink ceres:
So you think it's a female then? Coz I read that...https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-lutino-albino-budgies.686619/

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
So you think it's a female then? Coz I read that...https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sexing-lutino-albino-budgies.686619/
Can you specifically say what you read that makes you think young female's ceres aren't white/light blue? I don't see anything in the thread that says young male's ceres are white/blue...

If your bird has a light pink cere, it is probably a male, however the picture is much too blurry for me to be certain of the sex, so I'm going off what I see and your description :)

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi, sorry for the confusion.

I meant this article: https://www.budgiecentral.com/what-is-a-lutino-budgie/

The problem lies is that I'm quite color blind for subtle colors and limited to simple color scales...lol...if it's not pink as the pink panther and not blue as the sky, I get confused...lol

here are more pictures of him or her..hope this helps...he or she is again between 8-10 weeks

Attachments

• PXL_20221115_223544058.jpg
    PXL_20221115_223544058.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20221115_223536360.jpg
    PXL_20221115_223536360.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 44
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Hi, sorry for the confusion.

I meant this article: https://www.budgiecentral.com/what-is-a-lutino-budgie/

The problem lies is that I'm quite color blind for subtle colors and limited to simple color scales...lol...if it's not pink as the pink panther and not blue as the sky, I get confused...lol

here are more pictures of him or her..hope this helps...he or she is again between 8-10 weeks
Well, good news, she's definitely a girl! I love female budgies, they have so much personality for a small bird!

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Thank you so much! I was just also thrown off from her personality. The past female budgies I've had (had maybe up to 4) were bullies and quite rambunctious, especially the non-hand fed ones. I was just surprised that this one is relatively calm, not sure if anything to do with the fact that she's half English Budgie and half the regular one...what do you think? Or she's just young...lol

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Thank you so much! I was just also thrown off from her personality. The past female budgies I've had (had maybe up to 4) were bullies and quite rambunctious, especially the non-hand fed ones. I was just surprised that this one is relatively calm, not sure if anything to do with the fact that she's half English Budgie and half the regular one...what do you think? Or she's just young...lol
Well, I thought Picasso was a boy when she was younger because she sang all the time, but she's not! Behavior isn't really a good indicator of sex in budgies, since their personalities and behaviors can vary, especially before they mature.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
English budgies tend to be calm. I own a female Australian budgie, and she isn't very rambunctious. Though she is sometimes a bit of a bully. My female show budgie, Sunny, is very friendly towards other birds. She also has a calm demeanor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts