PLEASE HELP ME URGENT

Moheba996

Oct 13, 2020
i came home from work and saw that my birds right feathers were bleeding, she can move, but she cannot fly. im in tears and i cannot understand whats wrong with her. please help me.
053481B2-6F50-4AB3-9CD9-816753C73BFA.jpeg

Attachments

• CE69D7D4-ED13-40FE-AF4A-799A000780EB.jpeg
    CE69D7D4-ED13-40FE-AF4A-799A000780EB.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 76

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It sounds like your little one may have broken a blood feather. This is not uncommon but can escalate and become dangerous quite quickly. Are you able to determine if the bleeding has stopped? If it hasn't you can staunch the flow by applying corn starch, plain flour or styptic powder.

Last edited:
OP
M

Moheba996

Oct 13, 2020
It sounds like your little one may have broken a blood feather. This is not uncommon but can escalate and become dangerous quite quickly. Are you able to determine if the bleeding has stopped? If it hasn't you can staunch the flow by applying corn starch, plain flour or styptic powder.
hi she has stopped bleeding. but keeps itching the place.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ok, that's encouraging, but you'll need to keep a very close eye to make sure the bleeding doesn't start up again. If she's scratching at it, it may start bleeding again, so ideally the feather should be extracted by an avian vet - I'm not sure if you have one near you but the following link may help you to locate one...

Corn starch or flour works well but if it is a very serious bleed you can also use styptic powder - styptic powder can sting but that is better than them continuing to lose blood in an emergency. If you are able to get your bird to the vet they will pull the feather out to prevent the bleeding from starting again, but you'll have to watch her closely until then and get more flour on it if it starts bleeding, particularly if she's scratching at the spot.

Most Reactions

Latest posts