Please help my girlfriend and me!

ranga

Jun 5, 2020
Hello everyone it’s with a very heavy heart I’m writing this today I have woken up to my girlfriends love bird face down at the bottom of the cage after only 4 days!!! As you can imagine we are shattered because we got this love bird cause he was one of five at the pet shop(aviary bird) and wasn’t getting along with the other four what makes this worse is that about two months ago my own bird (gcc) was found dead in the exact same way they both have used the same cage and toys but everything has been cleaned thoroughly since the death of my bird the only thing we can think of that hasn’t changed is the seed we fed our birds please help this is heartbreaking for me and my girlfriend cause we love our birds and always made sure they were getting the attention they needed and now we are thinking maybe owning isnt for us

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello everyone it’s with a very heavy heart I’m writing this today I have woken up to my girlfriends love bird face down at the bottom of the cage after only 4 days!!! As you can imagine we are shattered because we got this love bird cause he was one of five at the pet shop(aviary bird) and wasn’t getting along with the other four what makes this worse is that about two months ago my own bird (gcc) was found dead in the exact same way they both have used the same cage and toys but everything has been cleaned thoroughly since the death of my bird the only thing we can think of that hasn’t changed is the seed we fed our birds please help this is heartbreaking for me and my girlfriend cause we love our birds and always made sure they were getting the attention they needed and now we are thinking maybe owning isnt for us

I am so sorry for your loss, truly.

Please, consider getting a necroscopy (you can put the bird in the fridge in a bag and take him to an avian vet to determine the cause...). I know that sounds harsh, but it seems there is something going on...

I would be more inclined to say Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFC use (or some other fume) than a disease..that having been said, disease can live in carpets etc--again though, the sudden nature makes me think fumes...cleaners, air fresheners, candles, non-stick pans or coatings found in (but not limited to): griddles, irons, hair straighteners, blow dryers, air fryers, popcorn poppers, self cleaning ovens, drip trays, ironing board covers, toasters, heat lamps....and then new furniture that is coated in Scotch Guard (even at room temp)...essential oils are also harmful...The Ptfe/pfoa/teflon/pfc thing is one of the most likely causes of death in pet birds.

Last edited:
OP
R

ranga

Jun 5, 2020

Please, consider getting a necroscopy (you can put the bird in the fridge in a bag and take him to an avian vet to determine the cause...). I know that sounds harsh, but it seems there is something going on...

I would be more inclined to say Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFC use (or some other fume) than a disease..that having been said, disease can live in carpets etc--again though, the sudden nature makes me think fumes...cleaners, air fresheners, candles, non-stick pans or coatings found in (but not limited to): griddles, irons, hair straighteners, blow dryers, air fryers, popcorn poppers, self cleaning ovens, drip trays, ironing board covers, toasters, heat lamps....and then new furniture that is coated in Scotch Guard (even at room temp)...essential oils are also harmful...The Ptfe/pfoa/teflon/pfc thing is one of the most likely causes of death in pet birds.

The only thing besides the seed is that we used that same perches that my bird used as far a fumes/smells go I’ve known about this for a long time and for that reason I don’t use non stick pans me and my girlfriend don’t light candles or spray perfumes/deodorants we don’t have air fresheners or even any types of chemicals that are even close to the bird at all we don’t even eat certain aromatic foods near the birds cause we were so cautious.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I too am truly sorry for your loss. The only thing more devastating than one loss is another in quick succession. Do you know how or why your GCC passed?

If you've already ruled out the possibilities that noodles has mentioned then the next best thing may be to have a necropsy done, even though at this early stage it may break your heart all over again to have to do it. But it may provide some insight and some closure for you.

You mention the other birds at the pet shop appeared to be picking on him - that might even be an indicator that there was something wrong and that the other birds sensed it. Bless you for trying to provide him with a loving home!

If you do get another bird in future it may be well worth your while having him checked for wellness by your certified avian vet so that you can be aware of any potential problems right off the bat.

My thoughts and deepest condolences are with you at this very difficult time.

OP
R

ranga

Jun 5, 2020
I too am truly sorry for your loss. The only thing more devastating than one loss is another in quick succession. Do you know how or why your GCC passed?

If you've already ruled out the possibilities that noodles has mentioned then the next best thing may be to have a necropsy done, even though at this early stage it may break your heart all over again to have to do it. But it may provide some insight and some closure for you.

You mention the other birds at the pet shop appeared to be picking on him - that might even be an indicator that there was something wrong and that the other birds sensed it. Bless you for trying to provide him with a loving home!

If you do get another bird in future it may be well worth your while having him checked for wellness by your certified avian vet so that you can be aware of any potential problems right off the bat.

My thoughts and deepest condolences are with you at this very difficult time.

At the time I got my gcc I was adopting him from another family at a young age (barely one year old) and he said that they were re homing because they didn’t have the time and he was very bitey (he was) and things seemed to be fine I was scheduled to take him to the vet for a check up and then a day or two before was when we found him and he had his eyes only half shut and there was saliva remains on his beak and one of his toys at the time I asked a family friend and the vet what it could have been and they both said he could have choked(checked down his throat and no paper) or he was just sick because birds definitely don’t die that young without many reason most of the time as far as the love bird I haven’t been home and she has since buried him in the yard and thrown out all of our seed perches toys that both birds used and is wondering is it worth disinfecting the cage or just throwing it out

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

The only thing besides the seed is that we used that same perches that my bird used as far a fumes/smells go I’ve known about this for a long time and for that reason I don’t use non stick pans me and my girlfriend don’t light candles or spray perfumes/deodorants we don’t have air fresheners or even any types of chemicals that are even close to the bird at all we don’t even eat certain aromatic foods near the birds cause we were so cautious.

Do you use things that contain strong chemicals in the house though? For instance, Teflon products can kill through closed doors/separate floors etc.
Vaping is also very bad around birds--as is smoke or food cooked in oils at high temperatures (like deep frying or roasting at high temperatures for long periods..browning butter etc).
Do you have any new furniture--especially couches/chairs/matresses etc? They can off-gas VOCs as well--- my parents' living room set caused serious issues for my bird when visiting.
Perches cannot be cleaned between birds and should be disposed of--- anything porous is not safe to reuse, but it seems unlikely that a virus or something could have killed your new bird in as little as 4 days...I mean, it is possible, but a pre-existing condition or environmental hazard seems more probable...

What are the food dishes made of?
What about the water dish?
What is the cage made out of?

I still think a necroscopy is 500% your best option at this point, but just throwing things out there...again, I am so sorry and I am very glad that you are trying to get to the bottom of this. I wish you weren't having to deal with all the heartache.

Last edited:
OP
R

ranga

Jun 5, 2020

Do you use things that contain strong chemicals in the house though? For instance, Teflon products can kill through closed doors/separate floors etc.
Vaping is also very bad around birds--as is smoke or food cooked in oils at high temperatures.
Do you have any new furniture--especially couches/chairs/matresses etc? They can off-gas VOCs as well--- my parents' living room set caused serious issues for my bird when visiting.
Perches cannot be cleaned between birds and should be disposed of--- anything porous is not safe to reuse, but it seems unlikely that a virus or something could have killed your new bird in as little as 4 days...I mean, it is possible, but a pre-existing condition or environmental hazard seems more probable...

I still think a necroscopy is 500% your best option at this point, but just throwing things out there...again, I am so sorry and I am very glad that you are trying to get to the bottom of this. I wish you weren't having to deal with all the heartache.

No no stick pans are used at our house at all they are all steel and all of our furniture is well past 8 years old no one in the house smokes or vapes all of the stuff in our house is not new at all the newest things we have are the two bird cages the food dish and water dish are plastic and the cages are made of aluminium I’m pretty sure I really hope that we were just unlucky and got two sick birds because at this point I really don’t want to adopt birds anymore especially when I know I wasn’t the cause of the birds death and have taken the proper measures to ensure it’s safety

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Vaping is also very bad around birds--as is smoke or food cooked in oils at high temperatures.

No no stick pans are used at our house at all they are all steel and all of our furniture is well past 8 years old no one in the house smokes or vapes all of the stuff in our house is not new at all the newest things we have are the two bird cages the food dish and water dish are plastic and the cages are made of aluminium I’m pretty sure I really hope that we were just unlucky and got two sick birds because at this point I really don’t want to adopt birds anymore especially when I know I wasn’t the cause of the birds death and have taken the proper measures to ensure it’s safety

I'm sorry :( That is very stressful and they are so fragile that it can be really hard to know. If you do get another, I would make sure that everyone in the house understands the importance of a necroscopy (in the event of an unexpected death).
Are you covering the cage with anything at night? A strongly scented laundry detergent could be problematic, as could too thick of a cage cover...

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Firstly Sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find out what has been the issue.

I'm just wondering if you had one of those "snuggle hut" bird toys in with your bird? Or any fleecy blankets or similar as covers? Some birds will chew the fleece off and swallow it. If they do this there is potential for impaction of the gut. This can lead to death with no outward signs very quickly. Where is your bird located in the house? Is it close to a window or a door? At night a chill breeze can cause problems. If the temp drops too low it can kill off your birds.

I'm sure that other members would be able to add to all the myriad of possibilities of things that can lead to the untimely demise of your birds. As noodles123 has suggested a necropsy is your best bet to find the cause as there are so many possibilities.

OP
R

ranga

Jun 5, 2020

I'm sorry :( That is very stressful and they are so fragile that it can be really hard to know. If you do get another, I would make sure that everyone in the house understands the importance of a necroscopy (in the event of an unexpected death).
Are you covering the cage with anything at night? A strongly scented laundry detergent could be problematic, as could too thick of a cage cover...

Yes we cover the cage with a kin size sheet that’s folded over so I covers all the cage but it was washed weeks ago(only just used four days ago for the bird) and was cleaned for some time it’s not like we just got it out of the wash

OP
R

ranga

Jun 5, 2020
Firstly Sorry for your loss. I hope you are able to find out what has been the issue.

I'm just wondering if you had one of those "snuggle hut" bird toys in with your bird? Or any fleecy blankets or similar as covers? Some birds will chew the fleece off and swallow it. If they do this there is potential for impaction of the gut. This can lead to death with no outward signs very quickly. Where is your bird located in the house? Is it close to a window or a door? At night a chill breeze can cause problems. If the temp drops too low it can kill off your birds.

I'm sure that other members would be able to add to all the myriad of possibilities of things that can lead to the untimely demise of your birds. As noodles123 has suggested a necropsy is your best bet to find the cause as there are so many possibilities.

The bird doesn’t have any snuggle huts or anything I knew not to get them as far as location he is in with one of the two rooms that are the least cold and the most hot during the day(my house and area of Australia where I live does get very cold tho but last night wasn’t especially cold

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
did the temperature change more than 10 degrees from what he was used to and then stay that way for an hour or more? They can't regulate body temperature like we can, so this is a possibility...Drafts are especially hard for them, but even just temperature changes that happen quickly are not easy for them to handle. I am not saying that a temperature change is what cause your bird's death, but temperature changes can---and they definitely can have an impact, especially in an already stressed or sick bird (but even in a healthy one).

If you double-folded the sheet, are you sure enough air was getting in? I know that is a stretch, but they can be too thick (depending on the fabric)..again, it seems unlikely that this would have been the cause, but it has happened in the past.

Last edited:

Most Reactions