Please Help!!! My little lovebird is losing her feathers.

Bucello

Mar 2, 2020
I have two little lovebirds. One of them is a male and the other is a female, I know this because they have had viable offspring in the past. The female lovebird is losing her feathers around her lower abdomen. She seems healthy and she's still eating, however, I'm concerned that she might get worst and I don't know if I should take her to a vet. Please let me know what you all think and any advice is welcome :).

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With some Parrots, loss of feathers in this region occurs prior to her laying eggs. This allows for nest building and heat transfer from her body to the eggs.

If you are not interested in breeding, you should strongly consider separating them into their own cages.

You should consider a visit to an Avail Professional to determine if she is with eggs. Being egg bound can be deadly. Diet becomes very important.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
It’s probably time for a visit to the vet. Unfortunately sudden feather plucking like this is sometimes (but not always) symptomatic of internal pain. Hopefully I’m wrong but a good once-over at the vet should tell you one way or another.

Welcome to the forum and I wish you a good outcome for your lovebird.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure

Most Reactions

Latest posts