Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I need help with Snowy.

I was on holiday recently, and when I asked for some pics of the birds, the person who was caring for them sent me a video, and I couldn't help but notice that Snowy's face is red. I asked if she had veggies recently, and the answer was yes. The thing is, their chop is mainly green.

So I just came home and saw her face was still red. Whatever the substance is, it's red. I saw on one of the perches that there is dried blood. It is likely Snowy's, because the other budgies have no injuries whatsoever or dried blood on them.

My parents think there is nothing wrong and I should just keep an eye on it. What do you guys think? Is it serious? I will share a pic in the next post.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
20221009_165300.jpg

20221009_165355.jpg

20221009_165241.jpg

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
I had what may be a similar incident very recently. My Senegal, Charlie, had blood all over his face. I took him to my avian vet yesterday, and it was just a cut on his toe, which was clotted and healing nicely. He had transferred the blood to his face from his toe.

It looked pretty bad to see his face and beak covered in blood. You can see in the photo his toe is bloody.

1665328091616.png

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I think you should just keeping an eye too - maybe there was just a single big argument finished with an attack - at least I'm writing from my experience with Fela and Jaś - they are bonded and I have no idea why they fighted once time... but it was just once time

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I was thinking maybe there is an injury. Will have to check if there is.

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
In my case, I inadvertently frightened Charlie, walking past him with a big cage tray that I had just lined with fresh, white butcher paper. He flew off, out of his aviary and landed on a perch. Georgia is the female Senegal I got for Charlie. He landed on "her" perch, and she instantly tried to displace him, landing at the same place. They were in a ball for seconds, and both looked fine when I examined them. (They both step up quite willingly.) A couple of minutes later, I saw Charlie's toe weeping blood, barely any at all.

About 5 to 10 minutes later, he turned and I saw his one side was all bloody! I could not find a head injury, and his toe was already clotted. I got the first-available avian-vet appointment, just to be safe.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I would also suggest keeping an eye on it, just to be on the safe side.
Is Snowy acting normally? If so, I'd bet that it was either from a feather or a nail. Our cockatiel had blood on his face one morning and I could never figure out where it came from.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
She is acting mostly normal, but for some reason she is a bit fearful of me. A bit lethargic too, but she's usually like that.

Overall snowy doesn't really have good health. She has so many problems, and vets don't seem to know what to do :(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
She is acting mostly normal, but for some reason she is a bit fearful of me. A bit lethargic too, but she's usually like that.

Overall snowy doesn't really have good health. She has so many problems, and vets don't seem to know what to do :(
I'm so sorry, I hope she will be okay. At least she didn't lose a lot of blood, no matter how it happened. That's always a good thing.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
If so, I'd bet that it was either from a feather or a nail.
Oh, yeah! From a blood feather? I had not even thought of that.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Oh, yeah! From a blood feather? I had not even thought of that.
Sadly my Ekkie is prone to breaking his blood feathers so it's always my first thought:(

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Sadly my Ekkie is prone to breaking his blood feathers so it's always my first thought:(
Wow, I have had multiple parrots for 3 1/2 years now, and I have yet to even see a blood feather. Surely they've had some. It is weirdly customary for parrots to molt several months after I get them. I suspect good nutrition, liberty, natural light, circadian schedule (skylights), etc. add up to signal their bodies to take advantage of good times and make a new "coat". 🤔

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
Ohhhhh
I had what may be a similar incident very recently. My Senegal, Charlie, had blood all over his face. I took him to my avian vet yesterday, and it was just a cut on his toe, which was clotted and healing nicely. He had transferred the blood to his face from his toe.

It looked pretty bad to see his face and beak covered in blood. You can see in the photo his toe is bloody.

View attachment 44845
Ohhhh nooo🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
S

View attachment 44845
She is really in pain 🥺🥺🥺🥺

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
S

She is really in pain 🥺🥺🥺🥺
Charlie acted perfectly normal as soon as the incident ended. He even ate with that bloody face, getting a bit of blood in his food. He is normally really sensitive to anything unusual in his food; yet, his own blood did not phase him. It was all just a little slice on his toe. It sure looked bad on his face though. I was worried at first.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Wow, I have had multiple parrots for 3 1/2 years now, and I have yet to even see a blood feather. Surely they've had some. It is weirdly customary for parrots to molt several months after I get them. I suspect good nutrition, liberty, natural light, circadian schedule (skylights), etc. add up to signal their bodies to take advantage of good times and make a new "coat". 🤔
Our poor flock...during the winter there are many days where we don't even get 8 hours of daylight, and we have a long winter.

Kriss

Oct 7, 2022
Los Angeles
Parrots
Lorie
Charlie acted perfectly normal as soon as the incident ended. He even ate with that bloody face, getting a bit of blood in his food. He is normally really sensitive to anything unusual in his food; yet, his own blood did not phase him. It was all just a little slice on his toe. It sure looked bad on his face though. I was worried at first.
Sorry about that . Things gonna be okay . I will probably pray for it . Good luck with Charlie

Most Reactions

Latest posts