Please help with 1 & 2 days old ringneck parrots 😭

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
SilverSage is an expert!!! Bless her!!
Print out this thread if you can, print out everything she shares with you, and follow the link I shared and print that out so you have it sbd us easier to go through and reference.

We all care here very much. But myself abd most if the rest of us don't have the experience to help you. SilverSage has the expertise.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I’m not an expert but I do have a lot of experience in this area. Right now I specialize in IRNs but my dream is to work with critically endangered species. Right now I’m working on the building blocks. It’s exhausting but worth every moment. It will be quite a few years before my husband retires and we stop moving so much, and the I’ll be able to settle down and really get to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
I wish you all the best and may your dreams come true��

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thank you! And I wish all the best for these two babies you are trying to save!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
SilverSage,
Would help when adding the chick back to mom, to add a boiled chicken egg shell ( with contents removed) next to the chick? To kinda make mom think it just hatched? ( boiled shell to kill germs)

I have done this with a Mississippi crane, to hsve her except a chick.......

But I have no idea with parrots, or if that's safe or a good idea?

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I highly discourage adding anything foreign to the nest

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good luck, hope you are able to save the two chicks with Dani's (SilverSage) assistance and insight from Laura.

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
Thank you to everyone who are wishing the babies to do good 😊
I did not feed them since 10 hours ago and their crops are empty now..
They have been reunited with the mom and my neighbor is keeping an eye pn the mother to see if she will interact with the babies... whish them luck 😊

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I do wish very hard that her mom instincts kick in and the babies from into beautiful adults!!
I'm hanging on your every post!.so keep us updated

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Thank you for taking such close interest in these two babies. Dearly hoping the parents will take charge and continue feeding.

I must relate a cautionary story: My goffins cockatoo pair are good layers and incubators, but abandoned their babies after less than a week of feeding. My mom had to hand feed them for weeks around the clock until capable of overnight stretches without formula. This happened three times! With luck your situation will be far easier. Please keep us updated!!

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
@Scott Thank you very much and i'm glad that yours are doing well ��

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
So the mother did not interact with the babies and my neighbor keep them for only a couple of hours but because it was getting colder, he feared that they will get cold so he took them out to warmth and of course, he hand feed them although i told him not to �� one of them is doing good (the older one) the the other one that was bloated is who i am scared for �� but yesterday my neighbor told me that it was much less bloated because it stayed for a long time without food i guess.. I really hope both will make it but they are at my neighbor now.. i told him all the instructions that silversage told me though...
Please pray for them espically the little one ☹☹☹

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
@Laurasea i wished that the mother would take them but she did not and it was getting cold so my nieghbor remove them from thier nest ☹
Sadly he is a newbie in this just like me and those babies have to pay for our ignorence... i wished if i posted here earlier but i thought i was doing good 😭

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry. You showed great heart. You kept searching for answers and trying to help. you have met us now, if you need us again.
Maybe SilverSage will have more ideas. I think she is being modest as she is an expert, and I hope she reaches her next goals.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I’m sorry to hear that. Please follow the instructions I gave above.

One of the things we take on when we set out to raise living creatures is the responsibility for their lives and suffering. Please encourage your neighbor not to use this hen again in the future. Let him know that IRNs do it mate for life so he doesn’t need a whole new pair if he’s still trying to breed them (which I am not suggesting he do), but that at the very least this female needs to be retired.

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
Sad news.. the little bloated baby died yesterday at night. I'm so sorry.
My neighbor told me that the first 2 that hatched and died after few hours in their nest were bigger in size, and so is the last one who passed yesterday. But the one who survived (the 3rd one) is smaller in size than the others. Could it be a kind of illness that make those babies hatch bigger than usual and not make it?
I'm extremely sad that I could not post about this yesterday.
BTW the 3rd baby is doing great and it started to left its head and eating normally.

I ordered a couple of days ago a warming light from the pet store and it should arrive tomorrow.

Will update you on the baby soon.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Very sorry to hear one of the two survivors passed. I know you are doing the very best for them in a difficult situation. Difficult to know if illness is cause, or simply the parents don't know how to take care of them.

I dearly hope the remaining chick survives and thrives.

OP
A

Amal

Mar 29, 2021
Hi again 😊 I just wanted to drop a big thank you to everyone in here and to silversage for your great help and wishes 😊 the survivor baby chick is doing great and thanks god it made it 😃
So thank you very very much :40:

Most Reactions