Please help with cage choices

Hapsmo911

Jun 4, 2017
So I just got my new best buddy this week, a little Cinnamon Conure (pics to follow). I haven't named him/her yet but I keep calling him BooBoo for whatever reason. So that may end up as the name. He/She is so amazing I cannot put into words how much I love this little guy.

I am in need of a good cage for him. I am at work for 8 hours and he will most likely be in the cage most days until I get home. I have three family members that are home full time so he does get some attention while I am gone.

I wanted to get a cage that I could live with myself for putting him in. Everyone is different and I am not saying that people with smaller cages are cruel or birds are suffering, but for me I would feel better with as large of a cage I can afford. I see this as a super long term investment. I would rather buy once or twice in the life of the bird, then make a mistake at something I would regret or want to upgrade in a year or two.

So I have narrowed my choices to three cages. I am just not sure that a smaller cage with maybe two or three toys would be enough for his busy little brain? I am out of my mind with these cages? If you could give me any input I would appreciate it.

large-cage-for-small-birds-550x650.jpg

HQ Large Cage for Small Birds HQ36432-3-5
Bar thicknes 3.0 mm
Wide 64"
Bar spacing 1/2 in
Inside height 60"

CH3528-DOME.jpg

Centurion CH3528 DOME
35" X 28"

GC14022.jpg

Kings Cage GC14022
54" inches wide from right corner to left corner
42.5" inches front to Back Corner
60"inches inside height

jdlehman76

Apr 20, 2016
Lexington, OH
Parrots
Bella - Congo African Grey
The best advice I can give you is to buy the biggest cage in your budget that you can fit in your house/apartment. Regardless of the size of your bird the larger the cage the better. Even conures benefit from a walk in aviary if you have the space and the money. Larger cages offer more room for toys and foraging options which help occupy the bird when you aren't around. They also allow the bird to move around more which benefits them physically and mentally.

OP
H

Hapsmo911

Jun 4, 2017
thanks for the reply.

sorry looks like double post... mods please delete at your will....

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
All 3 are nice, if space/money is not an issue the first one would be best, people use that for macaws and I think it's the only one were he would be able to fly somewhat comfortably, I have never seen a conure in one before, he would be lucky bird for sure!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
That first one is amazing - my conures would love that cage! I may just have to order that one. I think that a conure could flap around and play quite happily in that wide of a home!

OP
H

Hapsmo911

Jun 4, 2017
All 3 are nice, if space/money is not an issue the first one would be best, people use that for macaws and I think it's the only one were he would be able to fly somewhat comfortably, I have never seen a conure in one before, he would be lucky bird for sure!

Well I ordered it. I like the Kings cage its massive aswell, but they have NO warranty at all. That kinda threw me off, that and the fact HQ and Kings come out of the same factory in China.

Ill post some pics when it comes...

OP
H

Hapsmo911

Jun 4, 2017
That first one is amazing - my conures would love that cage! I may just have to order that one. I think that a conure could flap around and play quite happily in that wide of a home!

Yeah I think the space is awesome. I had to get the tape measure out and its pretty close to 4 medium sized cages.

I feel like I took responsibility for this little guy so I sold some other hobby equipment to fund this. His quality of life means a lot to me.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Excellent choice and a very lucky bird indeed! You'll really have a lot of options for perches/toys etc... in that cage for a single bird of that size.

SassiBird

May 10, 2016
Media
Albums
Minnesota
Parrots
Black Capped Conure - Sassafras - 2015; GCC Rosalita - 2018; GCC Apple Blossom - 2018
Love! If reincarnation is a thing, I want to come back as your bird!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel

Yeah I think the space is awesome. I had to get the tape measure out and its pretty close to 4 medium sized cages.

I feel like I took responsibility for this little guy so I sold some other hobby equipment to fund this. His quality of life means a lot to me.

After seeing your post, I went and found that exact cage online. It's currently sitting in a tab on my browser until I figure out how to explain to hubby why the birds need a bigger cage :04:

OP
H

Hapsmo911

Jun 4, 2017

After seeing your post, I went and found that exact cage online. It's currently sitting in a tab on my browser until I figure out how to explain to hubby why the birds need a bigger cage :04:

shipping is a killer depending on where you live.....

Most Reactions

Latest posts