Please help

Peggyc

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
I adopted a GCC and she will be 2 on February 21st. First couple of days she was a sweetheart. And then all of a sudden she had decided to start biting to the point of drawing blood! Once she is on the shoulder she will bite very hard once if I need to take her off my shoulder. I will open cage and leave room and she will fly through house until she finds me. Previous owner got her from a breeder and gave her toe along with all of her cage and accessories. Her cage is a kings cage with a playground on top. She will rub her head on me when on my shoulder and preen my hair and kind of flick her wings a little. But sometimes she will come down and bite my feet if I'm in my recli er or go after my fingers. I can get her off my shoulder with a stick but sometimes she will go after my hand holding the stick. Please help, maybe that's why she was rehomed?
1000003476.jpg

Attachments

• 17081930130207957799821714343858.jpg
    17081930130207957799821714343858.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 11

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Conures ate "bitey" birds by nature..as are all birds. But conures especially GG are one of the most well known. It doesn't seem like it's an "attack" bite. But an excitement bite.. Never the less you shouldn't condone this behavior. And also when we get Bit we can't forget it's not them it's us.. it seems if she moved, she probably..wasn't trained..just someone thinking owning a bird, would be a simple task..the best advice I can give is work with a training habit, to teach her this is not "ok". When she bites don't yell. Or scream. Just give a firm no or "no bites" sit her down. Not on her cage or somewhere she's familiar. And turn your back. With no attention. For about 1 minute..It may take a bit, But birds pick up things very quickly. this is the BEST training method. Also Toys, Parrots have energy like a wild bear. They need to get that aggression out sometimes lol. Best of luck! She seems very cuddly. Just needs a bit of training ❤️ 💙

Last edited:
OP
P

Peggyc

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
Conures ate "bitey" birds by nature..as are all birds. But conures especially GG are one of the most well known. It doesn't seem like it's an "attack" bite. But an excitement bite.. Never the less you shouldn't condone this behavior. And also when we get Bit we can't forget it's not them it's us.. it seems if she moved, she probably..wasn't trained..just someone thinking owning a bird, would be a simple task..the best advice I can give is work with a training habit, to teach her this is not "ok". When she bites don't yell. Or scream. Just give a firm no or "no bites" sit her down. Not on her cage or somewhere she's familiar. And turn your back. With no attention. For about 1 minute..It may take a bit, But birds pick up things very quickly. this is the BEST training method. Also Toys, Parrots have energy like a wild bear. They need to get that aggression out sometimes lol. Best of luck! She seems very cuddly. Just needs a bit of training ❤️ 💙
Thank you so much. So do not put her in cage when she bites as it will cause her resent cage?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Thank you so much. So do not put her in cage when she bites as it will cause her resent cage?
Or she'll start biting every time she wants to go back to her cage. You don't want to accidentally train the wrong behaviors.

OP
P

Peggyc

Sep 2, 2023
Parrots
Sun conure
I do set her down and leave room but in seconds she flues right back to my shoulder.
Or she'll start biting every time she wants to go back to her cage. You don't want to accidentally train the wrong behaviors.
I also do put her down and leave room bit she flies right back to me in seconds!!!

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
Grab a chair. And a room With no cage. Sit the chair in the room with just you and her. Id do this for 30 mins a day. Pick her up hold her and talk to her set a timer for 45 seconds, if she makes it past 45 secs without a "hard bite or nip". Give her a treat and let her know she did good. when she bites. Say "no bites" in a firm manner but don't yell. sit her down *dont* leave the room. Turn your back to her for a minute and that means no attention what so ever. If she flys on your shoulder put her back and re set that minute and then repeat. She will eventually pick up. "OK, Maybe what im doing isnt a good thing because everytime i do that..she..puts me down..and turns away" that's the goal. You don't wanna condone the behavior. But you always probably won't fully rid a small nip that doesn't hurt which comes from excitement. Not meaning to really hurt you. Teeko had the same issue, this trick worked very well for me and him. When it's just you and your bird, in a silent room. That bond will be stronger and the understanding. Hope this helps!! 😃

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts