Please Help!

Tiko92

Sep 11, 2021
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
I donā€™t know if my little friend is sick or this is a normal behavior? He Bobs his head and seems like he wants to throw up. kinda reminds me of a cat that wants to throw up a hair ball. He seems perfectly fine right now, for example, Heā€™s just eating right now and looks totally fine while I type this, but heā€™s been doing this lately. Any clue why, Iā€™m a little concerned. šŸ™

Attachments

• IMG_0007.MOV
    9.2 MB

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
How old is he? This is regurgitation behavior (in all liklihood) but you do NOT want to encourage it. If this is an an adult bird, this is a sexual behavior and often means that certain environmental factors make it more likely to occur. It could be vomiting, but that is usually less controlled and less specific to one person's presence etc.

As humans, we often inadvertently sexually stimulate birds (providing shadowy spaces, boxes, tents etc= not good). Pet on the head and neck only and also ensure that your parrot gets a bare minimum of 10 solid hours sleep per-night. You don't want your bird to see you as its mate (as this is how they feed their mates). I am not saying it will never happen (even with the best of hormonal controls), but it's not something you want to encourage...Even though it is a compliment, it can get complicated very quickly when they see you as their mate and other factors are not controlled.

OP
T

Tiko92

Sep 11, 2021
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
How old is he? This is regurgitation behavior (in all liklihood) but you do NOT want to encourage it. If this is an an adult bird, this is a sexual behavior and often means that certain environmental factors make it more likely to occur. It could be vomiting, but that is usually less controlled and less specific to one person's presence etc.

As humans, we often inadvertently sexually stimulate birds (providing shadowy spaces, boxes, tents etc= not good). Pet on the head and neck only and also ensure that your parrot gets a bare minimum of 10 solid hours sleep per-night. You don't want your bird to see you as its mate (as this is how they feed their mates). I am not saying it will never happen (even with the best of hormonal controls), but it's not something you want to encourage...Even though it is a compliment, it can get complicated very quickly when they see you as their mate and other factors are not controlled.
He is 1 years old. Yes, heā€™s always trying to mate every time he perches on my finger. I do scratch his head a lot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Some of it is practice, part if growing up and learning behavior. Also some of that is just flock bonds. Yes it can be sex behavior or mate bond behavior. But I have 3 quakers, a GCC and 3 budgie, they do this to each other as a flock thing. Sometimes they try with me.
To them this is a sensitive and profound bond. So be careful how you handle it, don't make them feel rejected. For me I say thank you I love you too, them I calmly redirect, maybe I take them to look out a window, or over to their cage play top for a snack.

Quakers seem to need a lot of snuggle and head scratches. Just don't pet their back, that's turns them on and makes them think mating. I love smooch and cuddle mine tons. Without sexy time ideas. Right now is fall breeding season, and its the first hormones rush for your kid. Spring is a stronger time. But this obsession with wanting to have six with you should calm down. Be aware, redirect, don't do what turns them on.

Have a kitchen digital scale. Weigh your bird weekly. If this is a heakth issue he will start dropping weight. But of course if anything makes you think your bird is sick get it checked out. Usually a 3% body mass lost or greater us a sign of a health issue. Getting that checked while Wright loss is the only symptoms saves lives, by the time more symptoms happen the bird is very sick. So let's say your bird is 100 grams, to make it easy, if looses 3 grams or more get a vet check. First weight in morning after poop is true weight, they can go up and down during the day in weight depending on what and when they ate.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
He is 1 years old. Yes, heā€™s always trying to mate every time he perches on my finger. I do scratch his head a lot.
head and neck are fine if you stick to them only and if it isn't causing a reaction, but NOT if it is causing this behavior. You may need to chill with the touching for a while..You can still pick him up, but spend more time on shared activities and less touching. Train, etc.

Put him down and walk away or change the subject when he tries to mate. I know it seems mean, but it will eventually show him that you are not interested (at least...temporarily...kind of lol)

When mine is super hormonal, sometimes even looking at me will set her vibrating (she's not a quaker and she vibrates in a sexual way), and in those cases, I walk out of the room or distract immediately with something to get her off that topic. So, generally head and neck are the only safe places to bet, but during a very hormonal period, even those can be too much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts