Please help

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Hi everyone. My first post. I have a Congo African Gray who is approximately 24 years old. I got him when he was 6. He is an extremely picky eater...and calcium has been a major problem. Upon seizures early on, I took him to the Vet who prescribed calcium supplements. This bird is our (my wife and I's) third child. I adore him. But I CANNOT get him to eat the things he should. Currently he is on ZuPreem and some fruits, but refusing veggies, etc. He is now having seizures again and it's killing us. Taking him to the Vet again is a risk too because the stress sends him into seizures. I am giving him powdered and liquid supplements, but I have to mix the powder with things like peanut butter or small amounts of vanilla ice cream. I need help finding healthy alternatives to mix his vitamins with. He can't do this forever. If you can help...please...give me some ideas. Applesauce was my first try, but he refuses it (even though he loves apples)...baby food has suspect ingredients....he hates yogurt (which isn't good for him either). Thank you so much in advance...I need to help my friend. Finally, if anything I wrote reveals that I'm an idiot, I beg you to just try to help the bird rather than make me feel worse. I'm doing the best I can, and this is about HIM. Thank you.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome! I hope you'll find there is no judgment here but there is a ton of experience and support. I recently adopted a bird that presents a lot of challenges for a new bird owner and this forum has been so kind!

I'm sorry your boy is not as willing to take meds as he needs to be! If he likes apple, is it possible to inject the liquid medication into small slices of apple? Or any other foods he would take, like a small piece of bread?

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
No need to apologize for these circumstances it's completely understandable!
I hope some African grey owners or people with picky birds jump into this topic too!
Although I'd hate to say it, if you must get his medication and vitamins into his system some way or another, then don't be too afraid to restrain and provide those supplements by syringe or any other way you'd like. I'd go with syringe if it applies.
Be careful when restraining if you do decide to take this route. A bird can easily be suffocated because of their soft and sensitive chest muscles being too tightly grasped, which can restrict their breathing.
Do so with a towel and some desensitization tactics if possible for best results on your birds part and preventing immense fear of the experience.
Again, just something I'd consider if you're really struggling and I can't imagine the worries you're having right now.
As for healthier food, I've heard it does take tons of time for a bird and especially picky ones to actually eat anything healthy.
Start off with what your bird already eats and try to find veggies that kind of mimic or sort of look like the food he does eat whether that be his pellets or a fruit he likes. Resort to veggies that you think are his favorite color like green or red.
This whole process takes time. And it could even be years but it is really worth it.
Gradually increase the veggie intake when ready and monitor their weight while doing so.
Hope this could be of some help to you!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey, I hope that you and your birds circumstances shall improve.
Have you heard of bird bread? There are several great recipes for it on this forum for making it and it is a great way to sneak in veggies and supplements without him knowing.
Other things you could try are mixing it into coconut oil, but they should only have it every 2-3 weeks, my birds get so excited when they see the jar. Almond butter is also safe and many birds like it.
Have you offered him boiled or scrambled eggs? Eggs have lots of calcium in them, also you could grind the egg shells into powder or use ground cuttlebone and sprinkle it on the fruits he eats.
Almonds are another great source of calcium.
With my birds I use a hand held cheese grater and grate cuttlebone onto their chop once a week because you can overdo calcium and other vitamins.
What about calcium perches? Some birds love to chew on them.
I hope something I said helps, I know it's hard to deal with watching a family member go through this, best of luck.

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Welcome! I hope you'll find there is no judgment here but there is a ton of experience and support. I recently adopted a bird that presents a lot of challenges for a new bird owner and this forum has been so kind!

I'm sorry your boy is not as willing to take meds as he needs to be! If he likes apple, is it possible to inject the liquid medication into small slices of apple? Or any other foods he would take, like a small piece of bread?
I will try!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome!!!
Long term med hiding for parrots us always a struggle!!!

Calcium and the sunshine vitamin D are linked. So taking him outside in a travel carrier, or secure all parrots and doors and bottom tray and roll his cage outside. Light shade is perfect they don't have to be on full sun to get the benefits. 15 minutes or longer a day is ideal. But what you can manage will be helpful.

Cooked warm sweet potatoes( msybe csn hide meds), are liked by many, great source of vitamin A, as are any of tge peppers , especially ones in yellow-red colors.

You can get baby burd formula, and mix thicker than you do for babies and nice snd warm, like thick yogurt. With luck you can get to take from a feeding spoon( extra long , bent) or syringe it, my burd like it and I can offer through cage bars with syringe, or gently corral them but letting them keep their head free and offer that way. Benefits of nutrition, plus I had medicine in it. Probably hide it in at least 6ml, if he likes would probably take about 15ml of formula as a comfort feeding.

Boiled egg shells are liked by mine abd a natural Calcium source..to help

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray

Great idea. I'm going to give that a try. Thank you!!

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
No need to apologize for these circumstances it's completely understandable!
I hope some African grey owners or people with picky birds jump into this topic too!
Although I'd hate to say it, if you must get his medication and vitamins into his system some way or another, then don't be too afraid to restrain and provide those supplements by syringe or any other way you'd like. I'd go with syringe if it applies.
Be careful when restraining if you do decide to take this route. A bird can easily be suffocated because of their soft and sensitive chest muscles being too tightly grasped, which can restrict their breathing.
Do so with a towel and some desensitization tactics if possible for best results on your birds part and preventing immense fear of the experience.
Again, just something I'd consider if you're really struggling and I can't imagine the worries you're having right now.
As for healthier food, I've heard it does take tons of time for a bird and especially picky ones to actually eat anything healthy.
Start off with what your bird already eats and try to find veggies that kind of mimic or sort of look like the food he does eat whether that be his pellets or a fruit he likes. Resort to veggies that you think are his favorite color like green or red.
This whole process takes time. And it could even be years but it is really worth it.
Gradually increase the veggie intake when ready and monitor their weight while doing so.
Hope this could be of some help to you!
I hope I don't have to but I fear it's getting to that point. Thank you for the support

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray

I have never thought of infusing it with a small piece of bread. Thank you so much!!

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Hey, I hope that you and your birds circumstances shall improve.
Have you heard of bird bread? There are several great recipes for it on this forum for making it and it is a great way to sneak in veggies and supplements without him knowing.
Other things you could try are mixing it into coconut oil, but they should only have it every 2-3 weeks, my birds get so excited when they see the jar. Almond butter is also safe and many birds like it.
Have you offered him boiled or scrambled eggs? Eggs have lots of calcium in them, also you could grind the egg shells into powder or use ground cuttlebone and sprinkle it on the fruits he eats.
Almonds are another great source of calcium.
With my birds I use a hand held cheese grater and grate cuttlebone onto their chop once a week because you can overdo calcium and other vitamins.
What about calcium perches? Some birds love to chew on them.
I hope something I said helps, I know it's hard to deal with watching a family member go through this, best of luck.
I will look it up and bake bake it!! Thank you!

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
I'm so sorry to hear about your grey but glad you reached out. The members here are great and very helpful. I adopted a Goffins cockatoo and she became ill and needed meds. Toweling her and forcing meds was down right scary because she fought so hard. I stopped doing that because I was afraid I would aspirate her but other birds I've had handled it quite well.
There are already some great ideas in the posts above and here are a few more. Also, some birds like warm foods so consider temperature too. Nothing hot, just warm.
Mashed potatoes or oatmeal or mashed bananas might work.
I purchased parrot handfeeding formula (there are quite a few different kinds and one by harrisons for sick birds) This worked great to administer meds to my gray. It's not a long term solution but it could be a temporary fix. I used a syringe for this.
Scrambled eggs, I pierced the bit of egg (nickel sized but a little thick?) with a fork over and over so it had holes like a sponge and that was how I got my Goffins to take her meds.
She was a horrible eater too. I made bird bread and she still eats this every day. I soak it in water and warm it up before serving it. I'm sure there are plenty of great recipes here but I made my own. Whatever recipe you use, you can adapt it. I used the pellets she liked ground up. I pureed the fruits and veggies so there were no chunks. I used the whole egg, shell and all. I blended all the wet ingredients in a food processor so even the egg shell is chopped fine.
She really started eating a lot of other foods after I introduced this and now eats fresh fruits and veggies for breakfast every day too.
I freeze my bird bread in small pieces so I can just take a few out to keep in the fridge to serve daily.

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Hello and welcome!!!
Long term med hiding for parrots us always a struggle!!!

Calcium and the sunshine vitamin D are linked. So taking him outside in a travel carrier, or secure all parrots and doors and bottom tray and roll his cage outside. Light shade is perfect they don't have to be on full sun to get the benefits. 15 minutes or longer a day is ideal. But what you can manage will be helpful.

Cooked warm sweet potatoes( msybe csn hide meds), are liked by many, great source of vitamin A, as are any of tge peppers , especially ones in yellow-red colors.

You can get baby burd formula, and mix thicker than you do for babies and nice snd warm, like thick yogurt. With luck you can get to take from a feeding spoon( extra long , bent) or syringe it, my burd like it and I can offer through cage bars with syringe, or gently corral them but letting them keep their head free and offer that way. Benefits of nutrition, plus I had medicine in it. Probably hide it in at least 6ml, if he likes would probably take about 15ml of formula as a comfort feeding.

Boiled egg shells are liked by mine abd a natural Calcium source..to help
Incredible advice. Thank you SO MUCH

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
I'm so sorry to hear about your grey but glad you reached out. The members here are great and very helpful. I adopted a Goffins cockatoo and she became ill and needed meds. Toweling her and forcing meds was down right scary because she fought so hard. I stopped doing that because I was afraid I would aspirate her but other birds I've had handled it quite well.
There are already some great ideas in the posts above and here are a few more. Also, some birds like warm foods so consider temperature too. Nothing hot, just warm.
I purchased parrot handfeeding formula (there are quite a few different kinds and one by harrisons for sick birds) This worked great to administer meds to my gray. It's not a long term solution but it could be a temporary fix. I used a syringe for this.
Scrambled eggs, I pierced the bit of egg (nickel sized but a little thick?) with a fork over and over so it had holes like a sponge and that was how I got my Goffins to take her meds.
She was a horrible eater too. I made bird bread and she still eats this every day. I soak it in water and warm it up before serving it. I'm sure there are plenty of great recipes here but I made my own. Whatever recipe you use, you can adapt it. I used the pellets she liked ground up. I pureed the fruits and veggies so there were no chunks. I used the whole egg, shell and all. I blended all the wet ingredients in a food processor so even the egg shell is chopped fine.
She really started eating a lot of other foods after I introduced this and now eats fresh fruits and veggies for breakfast every day too.
I freeze my bird bread in small pieces so I can just take a few out to keep in the fridge to serve daily.
Oh my gosh, thank you!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This article has good ideas on getting them on veggies. St first lot of waste, but use big hunks as foraging. Zip tie hunks of broccoli or carrots to perches

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
Incredible help you've offered. Thank you!!!

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray
This article has good ideas on getting them on veggies. St first lot of waste, but use big hunks as foraging. Zip tie hunks of broccoli or carrots to perches
WOW! THANK YOU

OP
D

Damon

Apr 11, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Gray

Thank you!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This article talks about the benefits of comfort feeding. Well worth doing fir everyone except highly hormonal birds, i think she even talks about being great for hiding medications.

BTW I feed Greek yogurt and have for 20 years..the live culture are believed to break down the lactic

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Good point Laurasea! Different sized stuff can be fun and enticing. LB won't eat baby carrots or chopped carrots but goes nuts over the carrot chips that look like Ripples potato chips. And she wouldn't touch romaine lettuce or kale in her bowl but when I weaved it through the cage bars, she chewed it right up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts