PLS HELP šŸšØ BIRD INJURY ON VENT

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I recently posted about my cockatiel and how the vet told us that he injured his vent area. He showed me where he got hurt and it doesnā€™t look like a serious injury but there was still some bleeding there. It kind of looked like a scratch or something but Iā€™m not sure šŸ˜­

The vet gave us some medicine (itā€™s not a thick ointment, itā€™s lotion consistency) that he told us to apply on his vent area everyday.

PLS READ THIS šŸšØ: Today we tried applying it for the first time using a syringe. (Btw we have never done this before or handled him.) we used a small towel to hold him (he hated it) and then my dad used a syringe to put the medicine on the vent. We canā€™t see exactly where to put it because he wonā€™t hold still so we just squirted some near that area hoping that the medicine went on the vent. MY DAD ACCIDENTALLY APPLIED TOO MUCH! So my brother wiped him a little. After a bit, I noticed that there was some blood down there. (I think that the blood that was already there got mixed with the medicine because it looked thick and was on his fluffy feathers because my dad applied too much.)

Is this normal? Thereā€™s no active dripping blood, but I THINK that thereā€™s still some blood there, or maybe itā€™s my bird thatā€™s doing it because he will not stop preening there and he wonā€™t let it heal :(

Should I be concerned? Can this turn into an infection or something?? Should I keep his cage extra extra clean from now on to make sure that the germs donā€™t cause any infections? Also, sometimes his vent is really visible because he recently pulled out a feather from there and he lost some fluff because he hurt himself. (There was a ball of poop in his butt that the vet pulled out, with some fluff too.)

I would rlly appreciate some help on this by anyone, i have inserted some pics below of what I am talking about. (Sorry they arenā€™t clear pics bc they are screenshots from videos.) Tysm if you reply, I rlly appreciate and love coming on this forum for help, you guys are incredibly sweet and VERY helpful ā¤ļøā¤ļø

Attachments

• CB4CBE23-E86E-4A83-974D-079192216365.jpeg
    CB4CBE23-E86E-4A83-974D-079192216365.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 84
  • C354571E-6C23-4EEA-AB7E-ED01C0B08757.jpeg
    C354571E-6C23-4EEA-AB7E-ED01C0B08757.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 88
  • 935C438A-ED1B-4958-8D64-BCE9F31B466A.jpeg
    935C438A-ED1B-4958-8D64-BCE9F31B466A.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 82
OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello! I recently posted about my cockatiel and how the vet told us that he injured his vent area. He showed me where he got hurt and it doesnā€™t look like a serious injury but there was still some bleeding there. It kind of looked like a scratch or something but Iā€™m not sure šŸ˜­

The vet gave us some medicine (itā€™s not a thick ointment, itā€™s lotion consistency) that he told us to apply on his vent area everyday.

PLS READ THIS šŸšØ: Today we tried applying it for the first time using a syringe. (Btw we have never done this before or handled him.) we used a small towel to hold him (he hated it) and then my dad used a syringe to put the medicine on the vent. We canā€™t see exactly where to put it because he wonā€™t hold still so we just squirted some near that area hoping that the medicine went on the vent. MY DAD ACCIDENTALLY APPLIED TOO MUCH! So my brother wiped him a little. After a bit, I noticed that there was some blood down there. (I think that the blood that was already there got mixed with the medicine because it looked thick and was on his fluffy feathers because my dad applied too much.)

Is this normal? Thereā€™s no active dripping blood, but I THINK that thereā€™s still some blood there, or maybe itā€™s my bird thatā€™s doing it because he will not stop preening there and he wonā€™t let it heal :(

Should I be concerned? Can this turn into an infection or something?? Should I keep his cage extra extra clean from now on to make sure that the germs donā€™t cause any infections? Also, sometimes his vent is really visible because he recently pulled out a feather from there and he lost some fluff because he hurt himself. (There was a ball of poop in his butt that the vet pulled out, with some fluff too.)

I would rlly appreciate some help on this by anyone, i have inserted some pics below of what I am talking about. (Sorry they arenā€™t clear pics bc they are screenshots from videos.) Tysm if you reply, I rlly appreciate and love coming on this forum for help, you guys are incredibly sweet and VERY helpful ā¤ļøā¤ļø
I was also told by someone to use a cotton swab to apply the medicine on the opening of the vent and let it work itā€™s way in, so Iā€™m gonna try that out tomorrow. I cant stick the stick in his fluff and hope that it touches the vent though, right?

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
How is he doing this morning?
Heā€™s completely fine and acting fine, I checked the area and the blood looks dried up (itā€™s not JUST blood on his feathers it was also mixed with the medicine, and it wasnā€™t that the whole butt was covered in blood it was a little bit.)

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
How is he doing this morning?
Also something that I was sceptical about with the vet visit: I was told that his nails are long but not that long that itā€™s necessary to cut them, so I shouldnā€™t. I told him that his nails get stuck in clothes sometimes and I was told that he canā€™t break them off. Is this true? He yanks pretty hard to get the nail out if it gets stuck šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Also, Iā€™ve been noticing that one of his nail looks dark all of a sudden. He doesnā€™t have black or dark nails but one is darker than all of them. Is this normal? Should I clip his nails? I was told to cut them when they start getting curled.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi there, Iā€™m glad to see an update on your bird. I was wondering how he was doing.

I am the one who told you to use a swab to put the ointment on because I thought it came in a tube. If itā€™s in a syringe and thatā€™s how the vet told you to apply it then use the syringe. But you do need to get it on the injury or sore, not just on the feathers, for it to do any good. So if it is actually his vent that is injured then the medication needs to go on there.

Itā€™s great to keep his cage clean. He might rub on his perches if his vent is sore. Keeping the perches clean will help him not get dirt in the sore area.

Iā€™m glad your dad is helping you. Can you or he take your finger to brush the fluffy feathers back and see the sore spot? Then put the medication on the sore spot.

If his nails are getting caught a lot they need to be clipped soon. Maybe your dad can help with that. Or you could wait until the medication is done.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi there, Iā€™m glad to see an update on your bird. I was wondering how he was doing.

I am the one who told you to use a swab to put the ointment on because I thought it came in a tube. If itā€™s in a syringe and thatā€™s how the vet told you to apply it then use the syringe. But you do need to get it on the injury or sore, not just on the feathers, for it to do any good. So if it is actually his vent that is injured then the medication needs to go on there.

Itā€™s great to keep his cage clean. He might rub on his perches if his vent is sore. Keeping the perches clean will help him not get dirt in the sore area.

Iā€™m glad your dad is helping you. Can you or he take your finger to brush the fluffy feathers back and see the sore spot? Then put the medication on the sore spot.

If his nails are getting caught a lot they need to be clipped soon. Maybe your dad can help with that. Or you could wait until the medication is done.
Hello! Thank you so much for checking on him again thatā€™s very kind :) so, I got my dad to stop applying the medicine and I took over. We have watched videos and now we can safely hold him. I apply a little bit of the medicine on his whole vent because sometimes itā€™s difficult to see exactly where the injury was. Yesterday I think I saw it though. I think thereā€™s a scab forming there but Iā€™m not sure, but I applied it on top of the injury for sure. As for his nails; if his nail gets stuck in something, is it very possible that he can break or pull out his whole nail as he yanks?

Most Reactions