PLS HELP! Did my bird swallow this?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I need this question replied to ASAP:

My cockatiel has been playing with this table cover. I donā€™t know what it is made out of but I did not realize that he has bitten chunks out of it! Could he have swallowed it?!? I wonā€™t let him chew on it again.

Attachments

• 5513A7B0-AFC6-4B0F-8A65-0DBBEE222C20.jpeg
    5513A7B0-AFC6-4B0F-8A65-0DBBEE222C20.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 56
  • A5FE0912-9E83-4A45-9FF1-5C90297557AF.jpeg
    A5FE0912-9E83-4A45-9FF1-5C90297557AF.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 55

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Whoops! Itā€™s possible, if you canā€™t find the pieces anywhere, that he ate it. Whatā€™s it made of? A call to your vet to ask if thereā€™s anything you should do might be reassuring. My tiel would chew on all sorts of things he wasnā€™t supposed to (that were removed, sometimes a bit late) and he never seemed to suffer any consequences, but itā€™s best to be careful!

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Whoops! Itā€™s possible, if you canā€™t find the pieces anywhere, that he ate it. Whatā€™s it made of? A call to your vet to ask if thereā€™s anything you should do might be reassuring. My tiel would chew on all sorts of things he wasnā€™t supposed to (that were removed, sometimes a bit late) and he never seemed to suffer any consequences, but itā€™s best to be careful!
I havenā€™t seen any pieces anywhere. Should I wait to see what happens? Can this be very serious ??

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
If itā€™s really thin theyā€™ll probably be able to just pass it; again, Iā€™d call your vet as they can tell you exactly what to do and probably reassure you as to whether or not you should be concerned. Cricket never had any issue after eating bits of things he wasnā€™t supposed to.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Likely a stiffer plastic or vinyl product as noted above. Depending on your floor material /color such things can be very difficult to see. It is rare that they in fact eat this kind of material commonly just destructive crewing. Consider providing other products for your Tiel to chew on.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Likely a stiffer plastic or vinyl product as noted above. Depending on your floor material /color such things can be very difficult to see. It is rare that they in fact eat this kind of material commonly just destructive crewing. Consider providing other products for your Tiel to chew on.
i have been thinking about buying more toys for him, but heā€™s not interested in anything! He only likes to play with paper and barbecue sticks/toothpicks. I also recently bought him a cuttlebone, but he is TERRIFIED of it. So I took off little pieces of it and gave it to him, and he seems to enjoy it a lot, just not the whole piece.

Any toy recommendations?? šŸ’•

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
One thing Keiko likes when he visits is foraging on the ground (in his cage or a table, but he definitely does little floor marches too :) ) - I put down a piece of cardboard or paper, and then sprinkle seeds, and then crumple up and cut strips of paper and put the crumpled bits all over the top. He loves pecking through it.

Another one he likes is putting seeds inside a toilet paper roll, then stuffing the ends with crumpled paper.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
One thing Keiko likes when he visits is foraging on the ground (in his cage or a table, but he definitely does little floor marches too :) ) - I put down a piece of cardboard or paper, and then sprinkle seeds, and then crumple up and cut strips of paper and put the crumpled bits all over the top. He loves pecking through it.

Another one he likes is putting seeds inside a toilet paper roll, then stuffing the ends with crumpled paper.
That sounds great! I might try it for my Kiko šŸ¤”

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel

Hi again :) šŸ’— I was just wondering if printer paper is fine for birds? Can they swallow it? I heard that coloured paper or paper with ink on it is not good and can be toxic for them. Is this true?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is a great question and 'today' that newspaper is printed with a waterbase ink that is baby safe. You may notice that if it's a hot, humid day you will get ink on your hands. Magazines can be a problem as there are different rules and it is simpler to just not use that product. Also, any print other than dark gray /black should be avoided as well!

If you are uncomfortable using Newspaper, just buy it in sheets, unprinted. Commonly used in the moving industry to pack glassware.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts