Plucking and Frustrated

Xinnia

Jun 1, 2019
Hello,
Marco is my Quaker Parrot. He/She is around 1.5-2 years old and we’ve had him for about a year. Marco has been kept in a huge cage with two other lovebirds, and they’ve gotten along pretty well! About two weeks ago, one lovebird spontaneously died (appeared paralyzed one morning then died a few hours later). We noticed Marco plucking shortly after. The remaining lovebird escaped. I don’t think that he/she is plucking out of grief (it’s a completely different species after all). We noticed Marco was plucking when he still had all his chest down- no bald spots. We instantly put him in a makeshift sock vest and used clove and lavender essential oils on the feathers it didn’t cover (for a bad taste and maybe if he had any skin issues, also hope lavender would calm him down). We added new toys to his cage, and included foraging toys. It’s been a week and somehow despite wearing a sock 24/7 his chest is completely bare. I DO NOT have money to take him to a vet or to buy expensive supplements thanks to the economy. I don’t know what else to do other than drop him off on some rescues front porch and start over with another bird. Is there anything else anyone can recommend??

Thanks,
Frustrated me.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
have you taken your bird to the vet for blood work and did you have a necroscopy performed on the bird who "spontaneously died"? It's really important to confirm health before assuming plucking is behavioral, although it could be.

Also- essential oils are NOT SAFE for parrots....a human can OD on them, so please, stop dosing him with those..1. They are harmful to their airsacs, 2. they coat their feathers if in contact and can promote plucking....

The main thing is, your bird could be sick or sad (or under-stimulated/bored), but sadness takes time...and you have to teach your bird to play if he was relying on other birds for entertainment. There are cheaper things like AviCalm that you can give much more safely than oils (if you feel it is anxiety) but seriously, you do need to get your bird to a vet---you had a death and birds can transmit deadly illnesses for years and lifetimes, with or without symptoms...

Why would him plucking cause you to surrender him? Have you removed any dark shadowy spaces/huts/tents/boxes from the cage (these can lead to plucking too) although, in your case, it is likely illness or sadness. Although it has not been mentioned yet, please do not assume that buying another companion bird could fill the void of your bird's missing "flock" because it doesn't work that way and if you can't afford a vet, I would strongly suggest that you wait until finances allow for you to take on another bird (if it is for yourself, and NOT for your bird...as it can cause major complications in terms of behavior and health). Birds will pluck for a million reasons and illness is one...pain is another....if you bring another bird into that equation then you are being irresponsible if you cannot foot the bill for proper testing in order to screen for and prevent disease.

It's not his fault- in the nicest way possible, it is never the parrot's fault..did you buy him for his looks? This whole "start over with another bird" thing KILLS ME....He is your responsibility--yes, he may be unhappy, but unless you really feel that you are neglecting him, don't just dump him because he hit a rough patch...odds are, the same could happen to a new bird...You are dealing with an animal whose intelligence rivals that of a human child-- would you feel the same if your child lost a friend or was seriously ill and therefore, demonstrated problem behaviors? Plus, you MUST NOT get another bird (no matter what) until you can afford proper veterinary care (especially since you could have illness circulating in your home undiagnosed)

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, Frustrated, my deep condolences for the passing of your lovebird.

Marco has suffered the loss of two cage-mates, (other lovebird escaped?) and has a void in social structure. Plucking is an extremely complex behavior best described within this thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html

How close are you with Marco? I hope you can empathize with his needs and become closer in the quest to eliminate plucking.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Birds are so high maintenance/complicated---I know...so, I am not trying to sound preachy, but how did the other lovebird escape?

Also, in the future, I would advise that you house birds separately, especially when their species are different.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
" I don’t know what else to do other than drop him off on some rescues front porch and start over with another bird."

Really??? Forum decorum prevents me from expressing my self when I read this.

Most Reactions

Latest posts