Plucking? Moulting? Preening?

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Hello,

I have noticed my Amazon pulls out a couple feathers when he preens. Is this normal behaviour? It is usually the full feather. He does have a digestive issue so I am trying to figure out whether it is cos of that or he is just normally preening. He is currently molting too as when he flies his feathers go everywhere.

Thank you :)

Edit: he is six months

Last edited:

Koko_the_fluf

Oct 16, 2021
Media
Seoul, South Korea
Parrots
Koko (green cheeked cinnamon conure gotcha date 5.18 2020)
Hmm... I can't really tell if that its plucking since it is normal that some feathers can go loose when preening and there are lots of possibilities that it may be so it's not really sure can you tell us if you bird looks sick or maybe not acting usual?

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Hmm... I can't really tell if that its plucking since it is normal that some feathers can go loose when preening and there are lots of possibilities that it may be so it's not really sure can you tell us if you bird looks sick or maybe not acting usual
I'm hoping they are loose feathers from the molt and he finds them and pulls them out because he is losing many feathers without pulling them. He has really dry skin because of his stomach so he often times scratches and they fly off too. He has had a bad history with his health but is on the mend so just hoping we aren't going downhill again!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Time of year and where you live has much to do with molting as does temperature and humidity in your area. The age of your parrot helps as well.

The fact that your Amazon is recovering maybe telling as large feathers require a store of energy that a sick Parrot just does not have.

Understand that Large feathers, especially flight feathers are paired replaced with time, year around to always leave the Amazon flighted. Where as body and downy feathers are more during two general seasons as they transition from Summer to Winter and Winter to Summer.

Our DYH Amazon can turn our home into a Snow Storm in late June as he molts out his Winter layer for the hot days of Summer.

As a result, need far more information from you.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Time of year and where you live has much to do with molting as does temperature and humidity in your area. The age of your parrot helps as well.

The fact that your Amazon is recovering maybe telling as large feathers require a store of energy that a sick Parrot just does not have.

Understand that Large feathers, especially flight feathers are paired replaced with time, year around to always leave the Amazon flighted. Where as body and downy feathers are more during two general seasons as they transition from Summer to Winter and Winter to Summer.

Our DYH Amazon can turn our home into a Snow Storm in late June as he molts out his Winter layer for the hot days of Summer.

As a result, need far more information from you.
Hey thank you for the reply we are currently in autumn going into winter in two months. I'll attach a photo of the said feathers in question. He hasn't touched his flight feathers only downy and plumes! He gets four hours out a day and is out most of the weekend so it wouldn't be for mental health I think, and he has plenty of toys just worried it's to do with his stomach condition making his skin itchy. I shower him daily. He is six months old! I don't see any bald spots but as you can see his feathers are in. A bad condition since I got him. Because he is sick he is housed in 26 degree weather and humidity is averag 60%

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
For treatment of dry skin aloevera is usually recommended.
I have never used it on my birds but many PF members do.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
For treatment of dry skin aloevera is usually recommended.
I have never used it on my birds but many PF members do.
Thank you! I have a spray from my vet but it hasn't relieved him that much tbh

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
None of the feathers in the photo look plucked to me, because they all have their shafts. When my birds preen, feathers will fall out if they're ready to molt. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
None of the feathers in the photo look plucked to me, because they all have their shafts. When my birds preen, feathers will fall out if they're ready to molt. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thank you. I think he is molting too. I see he pulls out loose ones.

Last edited:

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
No problems. Sometimes when my birds preen and scratch themselves, they'll get down feathers stuck on their beaks. They look silly.
Obviously, the eye scratching is related to the surgery. I'm sure the vet will do something about it if they think it's a problem.

Most Reactions

Latest posts