Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I've had plucked birbs before, but they were plucked by OTHER birds. This is the first time I've had a bird pluck himself. Charlie is a 22 year old Peach Front. I've put him in a large cage and have started spraying him again. I suspect he's plucking from boredom, as I've reduced my flock recently, but I'm not sure.

Any idea what I can do to help him out? My poor boy. :'(
Charlie_May30 2022.jpeg

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I've had plucked birbs before, but they were plucked by OTHER birds. This is the first time I've had a bird pluck himself. Charlie is a 22 year old Peach Front. I've put him in a large cage and have started spraying him again. I suspect he's plucking from boredom, as I've reduced my flock recently, but I'm not sure.

Any idea what I can do to help him out? My poor boy. :'( View attachment 40471
Well, I don't want to be overly critical, but his diet doesn't look the best, and his cage looks dirty...

Take him to a vet if possible, try to keep him near sunlight (I can see he's in quite a dark area there, and constant darkness is really bad for parrots). You can try to bring him outside into the sun, sunlight is VERY healthy for them, and can reduce plucking!

OP
Vampiric_Conure

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Well, I don't want to be overly critical, but his diet doesn't look the best, and his cage looks dirty...

Take him to a vet if possible, try to keep him near sunlight (I can see he's in quite a dark area there, and constant darkness is really bad for parrots). You can try to bring him outside into the sun, sunlight is VERY healthy for them, and can reduce plucking!
True, his cage isn't the cleanest - it's a large cage that's difficult to scrub. His diet is a mix of veggies, seed and pellets. :) And as for a dark space - Yeah, in the eve, the room gets rather dark even with a lamp! During the day, the room is quite bright. I'm gonna try cleaning his cage again. See if that improves things.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
A change like having a smaller flock could have brought on the plucking.
I would suggest adding new toys as a distraction, & the baths may also help.
Plucking can be such a difficult thing to get to the bottom of, and once they start it can be hard, if not impossible to stop them if it becomes a habit.
Is he in the same room with your cockatiel? If so, if their cages are placed where they can see each other that may help as well.

This thread may be of help as well:

Plucking: A Search For Answers

I have several pluckers, and I know how hard it is to see those feathers on the cage bottom. I hope that since Charlie just started plucking that you will be able to distract him enough with the toys and extra attention to keep it from becoming a habit.

OP
Vampiric_Conure

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
A change like having a smaller flock could have brought on the plucking.
I would suggest adding new toys as a distraction, & the baths may also help.
Plucking can be such a difficult thing to get to the bottom of, and once they start it can be hard, if not impossible to stop them if it becomes a habit.
Is he in the same room with your cockatiel? If so, if their cages are placed where they can see each other that may help as well.

This thread may be of help as well:

Plucking: A Search For Answers

I have several pluckers, and I know how hard it is to see those feathers on the cage bottom. I hope that since Charlie just started plucking that you will be able to distract him enough with the toys and extra attention to keep it from becoming a habit.
Thank you so much! Charlie can see my cockatiel, Redshift, from his cage. Their cages are beside each other. Will check out the thread you mentioned! :) Again, Thank you!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I agree that the recent changes in your life could be what prompted Charlie to pluck.

Giving him lots of toys to chew or present or make noise with if he likes that can help give him an outlet. And lots and lots of reassurance from you that you and Redshift aren't going anywhere.

He's super cute with his fancy peach front 😍

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Oh no! I hope everything is fine!

I agree, the sudden environmental changes may have caused it. A vet visit may still be a good idea if plucking doesn't settle.

Most Reactions