Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Plumas story.
I would like to share the story behind each of my birds and since Plumas was the first bird it makes sense to start there.

My wife and I had only been married 2 years and we wanted to have a pet. We tried a cat a co-worker of my wife gave us to try out for a week.
It did not go well. If the cat had not been de-clawed (something I don’t approve of) we would have been ripped to shreds. We gave it back.

My wife (call her Rozzina) was from South America and her mother had 3 or 4 amazon parrots. After a visit down south Rozzina was full of stories about her mother’s parrots. It sounded like lots of fun and so we said “let’s get one of our own”.

A pet shop less than a block from our apartment sold parrots and we picked out an Orange Wing Amazon for around $175.00 This was back in 1985 or 86 and we knew nothing about parrots other than some talk and live a long time. We named him PLUMAS.

10 days after buying him he got sick (3 days after the “guarantee” expired). We found a good vet and took him in. They kept him for about 3 days and through antibiotics and force feeding him Plumas pulled through.

Even though he was a wild caught parrot I was able to teach him to step up but he never learned to talk only whistle. Also because of his wild caught nature I have never tried to force anything more out of him. I feel sorry for him and try to treat him with as much kindness as I can.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I love Plumas' story! I'm glad he ended up getting well again. Still going strong and at least 30 something if he came to you as an adult. :)

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have tried to give Plumas as close to a stress free life as I can.
He has a good friend (mate) with Patcho (female red lored Amazon) in the same cage.
Patcho spend a lot of time grooming Plumas though it's almost all one sided.
I did not plan it that way, they just got along with each other and I could not see any reason to keep them in separate cages.
Pacho's story will be #3. She was the last amazon I bought.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a great story! I think it is wonderful you give Plumas respect considering his wild background.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
What a great story! I think it is wonderful you give Plumas respect considering his wild background.

I agree fully! A truly great story!

Although, we tend to forget what the early days, months, years had been like. They do not! And, in those moments when its just the three of you, the social warmth is measurable and deeply felt. Thank-you, for taking in a Wild Caught Amazon all these many years ago!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I love Plumas's story. Thank you for giving him a loving home and offering due respect for his wild-caught nature.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a wonderful story! I have the utmost respect for you, that you respect his differences from being wild caught, and allow him to be who he is. What a great life you have given him!

Most Reactions

Latest posts