Poor indian ringneck baby passed away

Louieb886

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
1 called louie a congo african grey
Hi I'm new to the forum yesterday sadly our baby indian ringneck passed away at the vets , apparently it was a heart condition ? He was only 6 months old and we only had him for 3 days , is this a common problem or was a issue with the breeder we got him from ?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for your loss of a young Ringneck.

An avian vet can perform necropsy (autopsy) and possibly determine reason(s) for passing. At times all appears normal and tissue samples sent to lab for analysis. Difficult to determine whether bad luck, genetic issue, or improper handling.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry for your loss. Hearts break even after one day with such incredible creatures.

Only adapt a fully weaned by abundance baby.

Also the stress of a new home can uncover any health issues they were fighting. Young burds are very vulnerable as immune systems aren't fully developed and they have just lost the protection of passed on immunity. They often break with a very common chronic or hidden bacteria infection called parrot fever among other names i have trouble spelling. Its especially tough on young birds, older birds can beat it or develop a hidden infection that can break years later if they are stressed or fighting a new different health issues. I consider that all parrots have been exposed to this clymidia bacteria at some point. Certainly this doesn't have to be your issue at all. But it's why I do the following

Any new burd that I bring home, even old ones. I provide supplemental warmth fir a few days. I use a radiant heat panel called the sweeter heater. Never use a heat lamp. Extra warmth is so helpful. I also make sure they have millet, treat Stix, and what ever food they were in. Often birds go off or light on food the first few days in a new home. So I try and offer lots of yummiest stuff.

There are many household toxins that can kill burds. Off Gass from instapot, nonstick cookware, air fries ect can kill them, anywhere in the home even on a different floor and behind closed doors. Some ironing boards now have nonstick applied that us also deadly. Be sure and research all the articles on household dangers for burds.

Truly I'm saddened and sorry for your loss. It seems like many vets will say "heart issues" when there is a sudden death, to make things easier,.....I'm a believer in truth, so I find "heart issues " a disappointment from vets

OP
L

Louieb886

Aug 25, 2021
Parrots
1 called louie a congo african grey
Thank you guys , it was just so sudden , he was fine in the morning , 3ating and drinking we were giving him a good food mix and fruit just a shock , and I have had experience with parrots for 16 years as I have a 16 year old Congo grey who has been with me since she was a chic , would just be nice to have answers.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yes. But often even with an on the spot necropsy, there aren't answers.

We hear so often of birds seemingly fine going to a new home and dying within a few days. The stress of the move just allows whatever they were fighting to take over.

So when ever I move , or bring home a new bird, I try and be extra supportive. And weigh daily.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here is something I just passed on to an earlier writer. May I offer it to you, too?

'When one of our birds passes, it passes while LOVED.
And that is a treasure, and an honor, and a great thing. So many animals and people die without that.
But not our darlings. Not ours, never ever ever.
I believe they take that into Eternity with them.'

Thank you for being here.

Most Reactions

Latest posts