Poppy's Jolly Jungle Bread

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
1 1/2 cups organic almond, rice or wheat flour
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (or blue or white)
3/4 cup cracked oats
2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon baking powder
I teaspoon cinnamon

Mix above ingredients set aside

1 1/2 cups rolled or cracked corn
1/2 cup dried pineapple
1/2 cup dried cubed apples
1/2 cup crumbled banana chips

Add above four ingredients to three cups boiling water, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for twelve minutes, drain well.

1/2 cup organic baby food, (I used pear, banana, apricot and brown rice, one package)

1/2 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato

3 eggs with shells

Mix dry ingredients, add 3 eggs with clean crushed shells, stir in baby food, rolled corn mixture, cracked oats and sweet potato. Stir until well blended, mixture will be thick and lumpy. I use a glass 9X13 very thinly oiled cake pan. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool, cut into small cubes, freeze on baking sheets and store frozen cubes in freezer bags.

My flock loves any variation of this recipe.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Yeah, I'd try this, with some hot sauce and a Michelob or three.

fowlstack

Jul 19, 2016
Spring, Texas
Parrots
'Rio' - Mexican Red Head Amazon (2016)
I'll take Miller Lite...
Allee.. can we use baby food in glass jars? I noticed you referring to a "package". Lol it's been a very long time since I have purchased baby food!

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Yes, baby food from a jar is fine. The new baby food in squeeze packages has all kinds of healthy flavors. I would have never known but I discovered it when I was handfeeding my baby quaker, Wilson.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Allee, that sounds delicious!!! I am definitely going to try it for my flock!
Thank you for sharing:)

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
You're welcome! I have a happy flock this evening.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sounds really good, Poppy, er, Allee!! Will definitely give this one a try!

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
baby food never thought of it as a mix
I have been having a blast figuring out what the birds like to eat
this morning mashed sweet tater, raw broccoli, cauliflower,some roasted pumpkin seeds, raw carrots, crushed banana chips dried berries, dried mango, dried pineapple, and dried apricots. and of course a few peanuts. when you have 6 to feed it is easy to get this many ingredients in a daily feed. this was a real messy mix but most seem to like it. I doubt I will ever find a fresh mix they all like but they do all seem to have a spot for the sweet taters. will try the baby food as a mix and give it a try.

it is real funny the eating habits of each bird and their different personality's
hell Sammy likes cheese so much so far he has eaten all kinds I have given him blue cheese included starting to wonder if he would go for the real stinky stuff can't think of the name but it is out there. the dog eats the blue cheese to. Maxx will spend a solid hour with his head in a bowl of fresh stuff. first he mashes up anything that isn't then he eats it. Lilly she stands on a perch above her bowl first inspecting for a few minutes then comes down to eat.
I gotta give this one a try

C3mommy

Mar 14, 2018
Nampa, Idaho
Parrots
Quaker Parrot- Gamora
Where does everyone find pumpkin seeds? The only one's I can find have salt, or is salt ok?
baby food never thought of it as a mix
I have been having a blast figuring out what the birds like to eat
this morning mashed sweet tater, raw broccoli, cauliflower,some roasted pumpkin seeds, raw carrots, crushed banana chips dried berries, dried mango, dried pineapple, and dried apricots. and of course a few peanuts. when you have 6 to feed it is easy to get this many ingredients in a daily feed. this was a real messy mix but most seem to like it. I doubt I will ever find a fresh mix they all like but they do all seem to have a spot for the sweet taters. will try the baby food as a mix and give it a try.

it is real funny the eating habits of each bird and their different personality's
hell Sammy likes cheese so much so far he has eaten all kinds I have given him blue cheese included starting to wonder if he would go for the real stinky stuff can't think of the name but it is out there. the dog eats the blue cheese to. Maxx will spend a solid hour with his head in a bowl of fresh stuff. first he mashes up anything that isn't then he eats it. Lilly she stands on a perch above her bowl first inspecting for a few minutes then comes down to eat.
I gotta give this one a try

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

BluenGold_Congo

Apr 18, 2018
Long Island, NY
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Gray Congo
I've tried this recently and substituted the banana chips for a real banana and added and removed other things based on what is available It ends up being too thick and doesn't mix properly so I would recommend 1 - 1.5 cups of water to the mixture.

Most Reactions

Latest posts