Possible Adoption

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Petrie ~ Green Cheek Conure
Iago! ~ Sun Conure - RIP 11/20/2021
I lost my Iago a little over a year ago. His cage his still set up, I couldn't bring myself to take it down. I've been looking to adopt an abandoned bird since I know it is an issue. Does anyone know what breed this is?

Attachments

• 2023-01-18 13_03_38-Ginny _ Best Friends Animal Society - Save Them All.png
    2023-01-18 13_03_38-Ginny _ Best Friends Animal Society - Save Them All.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 2023-01-18 13_03_17-Ginny _ Best Friends Animal Society - Save Them All.png
    2023-01-18 13_03_17-Ginny _ Best Friends Animal Society - Save Them All.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 41

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Very sorry for your loss, but happy that you are beginning to look at adding a Parrot to your home.

I do not know this species of Parrot, but I am guessing it is a medium bodied Parrot. The beak does not appear to be a heavy bill as found on Macs and Amazons, so likely not a New World Parrot.

Who ever is listing this Parrot should know its species, if not 'RUN.'
FYI: With Parrots its Species and with Dogs its Breeds. Not to worry, lots of people mix them up.

Consider talking with your Avian Vet as they commonly know of individuals looking to re-home their Parrots.

Remember: Let the Parrot Choose You!!

PS: You Have Parrot Island in your area, check them out, wonderful people.

Last edited:
OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Very sorry for your loss, but happy that you are beginning to look at adding a Parrot to your home.

I do not know this species of Parrot, but I am guessing it is a medium bodied Parrot. The beak does not appear to be a heavy bill as found on Macs and Amazons, so likely not a New World Parrot.

Who every is listing this Parrot should know its species, if not 'RUN.'
FYI: With Parrots its Species and with Dogs its Breeds. Not to worry, lots of people mix them up.

Consider talking with your Avian Vet as they commonly know of individuals looking to re-home their Parrots.

Remember: Let the Parrot Choose You!!

PS: You Have Parrot Island in your area, check them out, wonderful people.
Thank you for the advice. Letting the parrot choose you is the reason why I got Iago. I never intended on getting a bird until Iago demanded it, haha. This breed looks like a similar size to Sun Conures. Either way the most important thing is I have realized I am ready to have another feathered friend in my life

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Uh oh I browsed the site to see how many other Rosellas they have and if any of the other listing had details about where they came from - but now want to adopt this girl šŸ’“šŸ¤©

Screenshot_20230118-180430.png

Last edited:
OP
Iago

Iago

Nov 8, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Uh oh I browsed the site to see how many other Rosellas they have and if any of the other listing had details about where they came from - but now want to adopt this girl šŸ’“šŸ¤©

View attachment 46979
We are also looking at Perry and Desmond as potential adoptions. I need to stay away from that site otherwise I'll come home with 20 new Fids

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It's a crimson rosella mutation
That rosella would match your Bourkes parakeets nicely, Rozalka, and matches my Willow, too. I bet thatā€™s a beauty IRL.

Think itā€™s some sort of pallid or albino? The birdā€™s yellow and red colors are really turned down (dilute?).

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I was considering some sort of parblue group or something similar (like pallid, dilute)because of the the pale colors but I searched the Internet and I didn't find such mutations so I have no idea what kind of mutation it is...
I also started thinking - I forgot about existence of Adelaide rosellas - it's a subspecies of the crimson rosellas and in general they are more orange/yellow than nominate ones:
0b5c7d37f23d8a198fec7790562c4c4a.jpg

But even they don't look the same - they all have a red forhead.
Somehow I have a feeling it's rather a mutation than a different subspecies

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I was considering some sort of parblue group or something similar (like pallid, dilute)because of the the pale colors but I searched the Internet and I didn't find such mutations so I have no idea what kind of mutation it is...
I also started thinking - I forgot about existence of Adelaide rosellas - it's a subspecies of the crimson rosellas and in general they are more orange/yellow than nominate ones:
0b5c7d37f23d8a198fec7790562c4c4a.jpg

But even they don't look the same - they all have a red forhead.
Somehow I have a feeling it's rather a mutation than a different subspecies
I think itā€™s a mutation of the crimson rosella as well. Was first thinking eastern rosella. I just donā€™t know all of the descriptors or types which is why I tried to explain what was changed about the bird.

Some of the newer Quaker mutations are so different looking they hardly look like Quakers.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I found a photo of a ā€œblue crimson rosellaā€and the bird pictured looks a lot like it.
Hereā€™s a chart showing some crimson rosella mutations:
1608EBD4-AB34-44D0-9BC0-D80115E31249.jpeg

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
I looked at the genetic calculator and realized that parblue crimson rosellas really exist - but somehow pictures don't work again (idk if it's just me, I can see only blue one and the seagreen/range pic doesn't work, so I'm giving the link: http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0RosCrim , you have to click the camera next to "aqua")

I tried to google and found a very similar bird:
1674124263993.jpeg

It's as "pastel orange" but idk if the name from this source is reliable

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I looked at the genetic calculator and realized that parblue crimson rosellas really exist - but somehow pictures don't work again (idk if it's just me, I can see only blue one and the seagreen/range pic doesn't work, so I'm giving the link: http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0RosCrim , you have to click the camera next to "aqua")

View attachment 46986
That chart I linked shows ā€œorangeā€ crimson rosellas. Iā€™m guessing itā€™s something similar.

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots

View attachment 46986
I looked again and honestly I wouldn't be sure if it's pastel orange because pastel seems to "take away" blue (like in Heather's post seen - all of the pastel birds don't have the blue cheeks)
But it still may be orange - I didn't find any "clear" orange pics (only combinations in Heather's post)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I looked again and honestly I wouldn't be sure if it's pastel orange because pastel seems to "take away" blue (like in Heather's post seen - all of the pastel birds don't have the blue cheeks)
But it still may be orange - I didn't find any "clear" orange pics (only combinations in Heather's post)
But the pastel orange bird in your photo HAS blue cheeks.

Anyhow we are pretty sure itā€™s a crimson rosella mutation! Thank you, and thanks for the genetics table.

According to the budgie mutations descriptors, what would one call this bird? He is NOT minus black (melanin) but with much less red.

Last edited:

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
But the pastel orange bird in your photo HAS blue cheeks.
That's why I said that I doubt it is pastel orange (prob I didn't write clearly I meant the bird from my post not from OP) - the problem with the source is that it doesn't work at all and the only thing I can see is this:
1674234723234.png

From my experience with Google images the picture isn't always the thing in the "title"... I would have to see the context but the post or site is deleted (/or changed settings so I can't view it)
According to the budgie mutations descriptors, what would one call this bird? He is minus black (melanin) and with much less red.
All parrots have the same mutation descriptions, they may have just different names (or maybe I misunderstood you)
Sometimes I try recognizing through mutation genetics but I'm always afraid of doing it basing only on it - my guess would be maybe cinnamon orange (because paler and melanin colors reduced) but don't take really serious cos I have 0 experience with rosellas

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
No you understood me. Thereā€™s so little red in comparison with the orange, but blue mutation has NO red tinge.

I was confused. I need to learn mutation names/ classifications. I think a budgie chart might be best to start with. Except they donā€™t have red. Sigh.

Most Reactions

Latest posts