Possible injury? 7 mo. old untamed lovebird

philistine

Mar 17, 2017
Hi everyone!

I'm the new mom of an untamed peach-faced lovebird who is around 7 months old for about 1 month now. He has his wings clipped but out of cage will usually attempt to fly from surface to surface in my bedroom every once in awhile, usually without issue for short distances. 2 days ago he got spooked and ended up sort of flying into some shoes on a shelf and had a little spill. He has been acting normal for the most part ever since and recovered fine by flying back into his cage after however his spinal area/back near tailfeathers are looking distorted. Not broken but pushed downwards? He doesn't seem to be in any pain, is eating and drinking okay, his poop looks fine but it just looks off to me. He does squint occasionally as well but I feel like that's mostly because he's sleepy. Since he is not tame yet, I can't touch him to feel whether something is wrong.

Is it possible that he could've broken something? He seems way more hesitant to even attempt flight now and finds every way not to to get somewhere that way. I spend many hours each day with him and don't know if maybe I am just going crazy! I've attached photos of him pre (on top of cage) and post crash (bribery for photo)

Marcel Has A Spill - Album on Imgur

F2LFHZI.jpg

zAwdTnY.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice! :whiteblue:

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Looks the same to me. I don't think any things wrong.

I understand you must be worried, i over react with my birds sometimes as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hi, they look through same to me too. I would guess if eating, moving and pooping are all normal there isn't really anything to worry about.

Just wondering though, is this a normal outline for a lovebird? I have no experience of them. I would have expected a more streamlined outline maybe? With the tail following the line of the wings rather than being at such an angle? I seriously have no idea, genuinely just asking the experts.

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
Just wondering though, is this a normal outline for a lovebird? I have no experience of them. I would have expected a more streamlined outline maybe? With the tail following the line of the wings rather than being at such an angle? I seriously have no idea, genuinely just asking the experts.

My lovebird doesn't have that outline. I don't think it's a lovebird thing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I see the change in outline that you are talking about!

Couple of things - and a bit of background knowledge if you will.

The Rump is part of the flight surface base and structure of the tail feathers. The muscle mass that controls the rump is large and very important as part of turning, landing and take-offs. I am not seeing as part of the limited abilities of a photo any concerns regarding it location and the way your Parrot is holding it in that specific photo.

The end of the Wing Feather tips appear to be bent down toward their ends. This would create a change in the outline that you are defining.

What to look for!
Stiffness of the wings or not wanting to use them, i.e. general wing flapping or not flying (currently limited by trimming).
Shape of the wings when compared to each other - or a difference in holding them.
Shape of the outer most (cutting edge) primary feathers - looking for a bend in the feather.

Please let us know when you take a closer look at those three or four outer (cutting edge) primary feathers. Also check where the Wings are being held in a slumped position from normal.

gavagai

Mar 18, 2017
Capital of Texas
Parrots
Green-cheek conure, Quaker parakeet
Lost a whole long thing because the forums thing I've logged out and in again since I opened this thread even though I reloaded the page to check for new responses before starting my mine, but the short of it is that parrots will try to hide illness or injury as long as they can. I lost my sun conure because though I took him to the vet the very day I noticed symptoms, and he lived another day getting antibiotics, he'd already been infected some time without showing any, at least not obvious ones.

Your lovebird does look like something is broken, but when my father broke my Senegal's wing (an experience which turned the Senegal off my father and my father off birds), he showed no signs of pain whatsoever. (However he obviously was in considerable pain based on how he treated my father forever after.) His wing healed on his own though in a position downwards of where it should be. I don't remember now why the vet refused to set his wing, but if I ever had another bird who looked like they'd broken something I'd still take it to the vet ASAP.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I would absolutely take your lovebird to a certified or qualified avian vet ASAP as they are extremely good at hiding any pain, and the fact that he is now not even trying to fly at all, when prior to the accident he flew all the time, this is a huge sign that something is seriously wrong. If he did fracture something it may become infected and make him terribly, seriously sick, and if it does not heal correctly he may never be able to fly again. Just looking at your bird is not the best way to determine if he's injured, but comparing his behavior before and after an accident is. Based on this I'd say he's got an injury and is in some pain.

Please fine a certified or qualified avian vet immediately and get him there, he's already been in pain for 2-3 days.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Most Reactions

Latest posts