Possible mental issues with indian ringneck chick

Patrinakell

Mar 24, 2022
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Hi my name is Kell. Im wondering if anyone has experienced a indian ringneck 5 month old female that walks around with her beak on the ground or cage & her tail in the air? Almost like she's vaccuming. She still doesn't seem to get the idea to hold on with her claws, like on my shoulder, though once in the cage for nights, she turns into a bat,hanging upside down. She may just have a very "special" personality. She also bobs her head alot, like a chick that is being hand fed. I have an 18 month old male called Loki who is a character & I hand reared him but my new chick Lagetha (named from Vikings thanks to my son) I have only had 2 weeks. So can anyway advise me please or maybe they have had a similar bird? She also eats alot. I have to sometimes put her in her cage for time out or she wont stop. Any comments appreciated:)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Has she been to the veterinarian?

I wonder if she could have neurological problems, or ear problems? What you’re talking about is a strange posture. I have only seen that in a conure I rescued who was blind and used his beak like a cane to feel around while he walked. Sleeping upside down like a bat is not normal for a baby Ringneck.

Is the baby ringneck getting enough food? She could be bobbing because she’s hungry, or maybe she’s excited or wants to be picked up.

I only had one Ringneck and he was very unfriendly so I don’t know what normal baby Ringneck behavior is. But this doesn’t sound right.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
My Amazon does that all the time. I think he just like the feel of the vibrations in his beak.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Amazon does that all the time. I think he just like the feel of the vibrations in his beak.
Can you explain? I thought this baby bird was keeping its head down most of the time, which sounds strange. That’s why I was worried.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree with wrench, now if it's every time it moves that's weird, but the occasional I'm gonna rub beak on the ground I've witnessed lots of times. It's normal. As is bobbing head. If these are the only symptoms...I'd just enjoy them as part of personality. Nothing you wrote screams out at me as "weird behavior" in a crazy genre of animal anyways.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree with wrench, now if it's every time it moves that's weird, but the occasional I'm gonna rub beak on the ground I've witnessed lots of times. It's normal. As is bobbing head. If these are the only symptoms...I'd just enjoy them as part of personality. Nothing you wrote screams out at me as "weird behavior" in a crazy genre of animal anyways.
I understood that the bird was walking with its head down all the time and sleeping with its head down and tail up. I guess we’ll never know.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I didn't see sleeping with head down...that I'd actually be worried about but it wasn't said. She hangs like a bat.....which I've also seen. When a bird perches on a round object their legs actually lock the grip there was a video I watched about it. It's why they never fall off even in sleep.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I didn't see sleeping with head down...that I'd actually be worried about but it wasn't said. She hangs like a bat.....which I've also seen. When a bird perches on a round object their legs actually lock the grip there was a video I watched about it. It's why they never fall off even in sleep.
I’ve seen birds hang like a bat, also; briefly, when they’re awake. If it sleeps hanging like a bat, that’s unusual.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
My birds sometimes sleep with their head down its just the cutest thing

Most Reactions

Latest posts