Possible to have two Green Cheeks in same home?

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
Hi all,

We rescued a Green Cheek Conure who was in rough shape, from a pet store. All is going well. There is a Green Cheek that was just dropped off at the Humane Society near us. I feel so bad for that bird. We want to eventually get a 2nd bird. I am assuming they should not be the same species. I assume if having the same species was possible, they should not be opposite sex. I just had to ask. I think I know the answer. Of course they would not be kept in the same cage or anything like that. They would have to have separate cage time out. Again, just curious.

Last edited:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I don't believe there's any reason a person cannot have two of the same species, regardless of gender.

Your main risk is simply that they may bond to each other and less-so to their people. That could happen between any two birds but certainly a much greater risk between two of the same species. (Alternatively, they could hate each other. Less likely but still quite possible. Or anywhere in-between.)

But with keeping that in mind, there are plenty of folks who have two or more same-species bird.

The big question is, will it work for You?

I personally have been extremely tempted a few times to get another conure. THankfully, I truly canNot Afford to do so, making it much easier to follow my head which knows my Jealous Sunny would Not be happy sharing my attention, rather than my heart which wanted to take home the creature in front of me.

It would definitely be wisest to consider the possible dynamics how it might affect your current birdie-relationship, when contemplating whether to bring home another.

IF IF you decide you are truly up for it, then go for it! :)

OP
M

MegZ

Sep 24, 2020
MN
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure
I don't believe there's any reason a person cannot have two of the same species, regardless of gender.

Your main risk is simply that they may bond to each other and less-so to their people. That could happen between any two birds but certainly a much greater risk between two of the same species. (Alternatively, they could hate each other. Less likely but still quite possible. Or anywhere in-between.)

But with keeping that in mind, there are plenty of folks who have two or more same-species bird.

The big question is, will it work for You?

I personally have been extremely tempted a few times to get another conure. THankfully, I truly canNot Afford to do so, making it much easier to follow my head which knows my Jealous Sunny would Not be happy sharing my attention, rather than my heart which wanted to take home the creature in front of me.

It would definitely be wisest to consider the possible dynamics how it might affect your current birdie-relationship, when contemplating whether to bring home another.

IF IF you decide you are truly up for it, then go for it! :)

So, what if it is a Green Cheek female and we have a male at home. Note: She is a 2.5 year old female. He is an 8 month old juvenile. What are things we have to do to make it work? I know there is quarantining, etc. but would they ever be able to be out at the same time or is that an impossibility? Thx.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I can share my experience - I have 5 conures (all arrived at different times), 4 female and 1 male. 3 green cheeks and 2 suns. All of mine have separate cages except one sun and green cheek who have always lived together (since before they came to me). I can say that it’s no problem to have 2 of the same species as long as you are prepared that they may get along, they may not. Most of mine are fine out together, as long as they are not in each other’s faces (except Stanley, who really doesn’t care for other birds). I have multiple play stands and perches through the house, so there’s lots of places for everyone to play and hang out without getting into personal space issues. I haven’t found it to be an issue at all, I just always accepted that they may not get along and just roll with it :). My flock is all rescue birds - so backgrounds and experiences with other birds were unknown when I got them. None of mine have become overly attached to another bird - but I have heard of it happening, particularly when they spend more time together than with their people.

If you are worried about them breeding, I feel like it’s unlikely to happen if they have separate cages and enjoy each other’s company outside the cage. Mine are usually too focused on other things while they are out and I don’t provide any spaces that would promote breeding behavior. No nesting spots, no cuddle huts, regular sleep schedules, etc. We’ve never had a problem. Tee laid a couple of eggs shortly after I got her (I was told she was a boy, but she showed me otherwise lol). She never showed any interest in the eggs which we left on the cage grate where she laid them, and we got rid of them after a couple of weeks.

In my experience, I’m glad I have multiple birds - they keep each other company while I’m at work (even in separate cages), they love to yell at each other and dance to music that I leave on. We work with the dynamics of the flock and make sure that everyone gets time with us and time to play and fly around. It works for us, but I would suggest just pondering all the possible scenarios :).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Answer to question.....Yes.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
While I am not familiar with GCCs, there is no intrinsic reason you cannot have multiple parrots of same species. I have 5 Goffins, and while they do not all get along, the majority are closely bonded and mingle totally unfettered without supervision.

Kudos for considering adopting from the humane society!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd be nervous about the potential for breeding/hormones etc. Just keep in mind that a male and a female CAN mate (they could also hate each other, but you get the point). I would have a lot of difficulty supervising 2 out at the same time if they were opposite gender and able to procreate...and so that is why I hesitate. It only takes a quick tap of the...cloaca lol!

I know it can be done, but the potential for sexual anxiety and babies makes me nervous.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Many folks have identical species multiples co-habituating or secure in separate cages. The absence of next box or similar abode is sufficient to preclude unwanted breeding. I would not hesitate to have two GCCs - prime consideration is whether the relationship with you might suffer.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think ( my opinion) that having more than one parrot , enriches both their lives abd yours. The true hate , can't get along, is rare i think. Separate cages tho. Because birds are flock creatures, they have and are able to have complex social lives. I Do not think they would binf and exclude you. I have had two pairs of birds that bonded very closely, it didn't have any effect on our relationship. Currently I have a slightly? Bonded pair in Pikachu and Penny, also no effect on how they are with me.

Now in untamed burds , or burds that came as breeding pairs that weren't handled in years. Maybe it would be an issue.

I recommend introducing in neutral area with plenty if space to retreat, with yummy food spread out. Prevent charges. Repeating, until they aren't stressed, or defensive around each other. And let them decide when to meet. And prevent fights, I use an envelope that I can slide in front if them if things look sideways. Then I seperate abd jolly tgrm back to goid mood. Since you have teo people, you can feed each treats and praise and do positive reinforcemen.

Most Reactions

Latest posts