Potted trees

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
I would like to put a live potted tree on my porch, both for the bird and looks. Does anyone have indoor bird-safe potted trees? The fiddle leaf fig tree does well in pots and is bird safe, but it's more foliage than branches. I would like a tree that has plenty of branches for her to climb on, does well in pots and of course bird safe. I haven't found anything that fits all three. Except for fake trees, but I don't know that those would be safe either and I'd prefer a live tree.

OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
No one has a potted tree that their birds like, no one?

I really want to make a jungle atmosphere out there for her and for it to look beautiful too.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Hi Sandy! I love the idea and hope to be able to do it myself someday!

That being said, all the research I could find on this forum as well as online only gave lists of plants, referencing sites like this Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.. Or mentioned concerns about sunlight and/or mildew.

The other thing I noticed was more along the lines of people saying that their parrots would prune the trees and plants! Which of course, depending on the time of year, certain plants might not like :p

Am hoping to hear from others as well!

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
You've got a great idea! I don't have experience with indoor potted trees but you can look into the set up I did for my flock using safe indoor plants and a standard parrot tree stand. It still simulates a rainforest experience with the birds being able to interact with foliage and walk amidst it.

I've had it literally in my bedroom since 2013. Basically I have a parrot stand with manzanita-like branches. I placed a bunch of dracaena marginata around it. Hardy plants and are bird safe so I let my sun conure and parakeets chew on the leaves. I also placed on the ceiling directly above it, a ring of plastic plants for an added wilderness effect.

https://postimages.org/

I must say that looking back at some of these older photos, I didn't do a good job caring for the plants. They looked lush when they were new lol. Well, I basically watered them and gave occasional fertilizer but that's it. Hope this helps some. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
S

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
That is beautiful and exactly the look I was going for. Thank you for the ideas.

I have three parrot stands, but right now all they have is a bunch of tacky looking bird toys hanging on them.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
BoomBoom, that's an awesome idea...I tend to make my own stands/gyms and even cages, etc., both from PVC and from Driftwood, Grapevine, Manzanita, Javawood, Pearwood, etc., a lot of which I just go out into the woods and at local vineyards and collect for free....however, I've got a question for you though....

I've never actually purchased an already-made, wooden parrot stand, like the ones you have. I have always actually gone outside on hikes in the woods and near lakes/streams and looked for large, multi-branched tree branches that look like they'll make a good stand, take them home, and then saw-off little branches/branches in the way, shaped them, shaved the bark off, and then attached the bottom to a wooden base using nails or wood screws and an electric drill..

My question is, "How are the horizontal branches on those stands attached to the vertical branches?" I have never seen one of these up-close (no bird shops or pet shops that sell these local to me or that I've ever seen before, surprisingly), and I can't tell just from photos that I've tried to look closely at what they are using to attach those horizontal branches with, as they look like they are just "laying" across and resting on the vertical branches, you can't see any fittings or anything. I once was going to try doing this by using a strong epoxy, but that wouldn't be "bird-safe" unless I was extremely careful to not drip any extra anywhere...I can't imagine nailing them or screwing them in, as they're too small to do so...And I once did it by using natural hemp twine and tying them, which worked great until the birds chewed the twine and the horizontal perches fell...I'm assuming they're glued somehow because you can't see any other signs of them being attached, but it would have to be a really strong glue/epoxy to hold them and support the weight of the birds, which I have, but I worry about using it...

BargleBeast

Mar 29, 2019
I see this is an old discussion but just thought I'd add, since I've had the same question!

Citrus trees are safe for birds and are easy to grow indoors. I have a lime tree that I've been growing for my Amazon. It's not quite big enough yet to serve as a perch, but she loves biting the leaves and smells great afterward. My hope is that in a few years the tree will be sturdy enough to serve as a perch for her in the living room.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
The only problem with parrots and trees is that the trees usually do not survive (of course it depends on the size of the tree eas well as the parrot).
A few fotoshoot moments in almost any tree will be fine, but a bird determinedly stripping leaves and bark of a tree ... those do not grow back overnight.

My greys have no problems shaving little pieces of the old and very hard&dry java-tree-perch, the fresher the wood the easier they gnaw through it ...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If you find safe trees, the dirt is going to be a bigger concern. It can have chemicals and moisture lockers added to it or old fertilizer etc.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
BoomBoom, that's an awesome idea...I tend to make my own stands/gyms and even cages, etc., both from PVC and from Driftwood, Grapevine, Manzanita, Javawood, Pearwood, etc., a lot of which I just go out into the woods and at local vineyards and collect for free....however, I've got a question for you though....

I've never actually purchased an already-made, wooden parrot stand, like the ones you have. I have always actually gone outside on hikes in the woods and near lakes/streams and looked for large, multi-branched tree branches that look like they'll make a good stand, take them home, and then saw-off little branches/branches in the way, shaped them, shaved the bark off, and then attached the bottom to a wooden base using nails or wood screws and an electric drill..

My question is, "How are the horizontal branches on those stands attached to the vertical branches?" I have never seen one of these up-close (no bird shops or pet shops that sell these local to me or that I've ever seen before, surprisingly), and I can't tell just from photos that I've tried to look closely at what they are using to attach those horizontal branches with, as they look like they are just "laying" across and resting on the vertical branches, you can't see any fittings or anything. I once was going to try doing this by using a strong epoxy, but that wouldn't be "bird-safe" unless I was extremely careful to not drip any extra anywhere...I can't imagine nailing them or screwing them in, as they're too small to do so...And I once did it by using natural hemp twine and tying them, which worked great until the birds chewed the twine and the horizontal perches fell...I'm assuming they're glued somehow because you can't see any other signs of them being attached, but it would have to be a really strong glue/epoxy to hold them and support the weight of the birds, which I have, but I worry about using it...

You can get double sided, stainless dowel screws. I am guessing that might be the way that they are attached. They screw into both wooden objects and aren't visible externally. The trick is finding them long and thick enough to really bond the wood, but not so long that they stick out or split it.

Most Reactions