Potty Training an Eclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
Well guys, I think Iā€™ve potty trained my boy. Twice today heā€™s flown from wherever I was playing with him back to his cage, pooped, and then he flew back to me and settled back down. He hasnā€™t pooped on me in over two weeks. A few times Iā€™ve brought him back to his cage, said Bombs Away!, and heā€™s immediately pooped. He poops freely when heā€™s on his perch or on his cage. Iā€™m pretty stoked. His poops are monstrous compared to my budgies šŸ˜‚ please enjoy this photo of him enjoying Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with me šŸ„°

Attachments

• A424E909-3DBA-4EC3-A8C9-0B236CE04541.jpeg
    A424E909-3DBA-4EC3-A8C9-0B236CE04541.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 81

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hahaha, I say "bombs away" with Tucker too. :) He gives me the tail wag warning that it's coming, and I take him somewhere appropriate and say it. So funny. He also has a thing about not pooping in the shower, and waits until he's back to his cage after shower time to unload. Smart little buggers :)

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Hahaha, I say "bombs away" with Tucker too. :) He gives me the tail wag warning that it's coming, and I take him somewhere appropriate and say it. So funny. He also has a thing about not pooping in the shower, and waits until he's back to his cage after shower time to unload. Smart little buggers :)
Iā€™m still getting Taco used to the shower. He is not a fan of being wet. He needs more baths, I know itā€™s tremendously important but he gets so irritated.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Yup, they're picky. Keep trying different ways of bathing him. Everything plays into it: type of spray/mist, bowl size/shape/color if he uses one, water temperature, time of day, all of it. Eventually you'll hit on something that he likes.

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Yup, they're picky. Keep trying different ways of bathing him. Everything plays into it: type of spray/mist, bowl size/shape/color if he uses one, water temperature, time of day, all of it. Eventually you'll hit on something that he likes.
He doesnā€™t have a choice at the moment. He gets misted every other day on the back porch at 2 pm because thatā€™s optimal sunning time. Then he stays in the sun until heā€™s completely dry and then the back door is opened so he can go inside if he wants. We live in Florida so he spends a lot of time on the porch talking to sandhill cranes

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
That's exciting to be able to deal with less messes. We didn't train our boy, but he hasn't pooped on me in a couple of years. we put paper down where he likes to go, so I guess he's trained us.

Most Reactions