Practical Food Application?

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
As I am preparing to bring home my girl I am trying to get my ducks in a row. One thing I want to make 100% sure I have down is feeding. I have read through the threads pinned above a coupe times and I have seen the % breakdown but I am wondering if you all would share how you put it all into practice daily?
Are there threads that have the food recipes I see some of you reference?
How often do I make it?
Is it make a big batch and freeze in portions or a daily making?
What other things do you give?
A good pellet/seed mix?

I would very much appreciate some help with this area.

Also, the best way to transition her from what she is currently eating?

I am so thankful for this forum and appreciate each of you!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrotforum and the Amazon Sub-forum.

Side Note: All Amazons are now listed as endangered and all Amazons under the age of five are require that their owner have a Hatch Certificate. This document is to be provided by the prior owner and stays with the Amazon for life. Assure you are provided such a document prior to providing money. Provide this document 'set' to your Avian Medical Professional to be placed in your Amazon's Medical File!

The Amazona family is the largest group of Parrot species on the Earth. They cover an area from Southern North America all the way South to the Southern edge of the Southern Hemisphere including the island Nations of the Americas. The vastness of their ranges and the foods that are available is to say the least huge. As a result it helps greatly to know, which member of this truly huge family you will be receiving and its age. It also helps to have some kind of understand of where in this Huge World you are located. A general region is helpful.

Diet. Your question assume you have read the 'I Love Amazons --," Thread at the top of the Amazon Sub-forum. Regained diet, the % is provided as a guide to what a healthy Amazon diet would include and what part of a diet each should represent. Clearly, as the variation of available foods in an Amazons natural range changes over any given year, there will be variations as to what is being consumed. The goal is clearly show that a diet is far more than a single item, like pellets. But, that each group a part of the overall health diet provided each day.

As you may recall, each group had a sliding scale in the % provided, which allows for seasonal variations and the choices your Amazon will make each day.

General Points:
- The Dry Foods provided should be purchased and then frozen in separate packets, which represent about one weeks feeding -- dated and numbered to assure rotation. The goal of freezing is to kill off any bugs and to maintain freshness.
- The Wet Foods can be made-up in advance (Chop) and frozen or if you have the time cut and provided fresh each day. The goal of this group is that it is healthy fresh (or frozen) food.

There are a ton of recipes to be found with in Parrotforum.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Amazons!

FYI: Never bring home a Parrot that has not been fully weened and has been fully on solid food for at least two weeks!

Last edited:
OP
Peachypink

Peachypink

Jan 25, 2021
Parrots
Lola-Mexican Red Headed Amazon
Welcome to Parrotforum and the Amazon Sub-forum.

Side Note: All Amazons are now listed as endangered and all Amazons under the age of five are require that their owner have a Hatch Certificate. This document is to be provided by the prior owner and stays with the Amazon for life. Assure you are provided such a document prior to providing money. Provide this document 'set' to your Avian Medical Professional to be placed in your Amazon's Medical File!

The Amazona family is the largest group of Parrot species on the Earth. They cover an area from Southern North America all the way South to the Southern edge of the Southern Hemisphere including the island Nations of the Americas. The vastness of their ranges and the foods that are available is to say the least huge. As a result it helps greatly to know, which member of this truly huge family you will be receiving and its age. It also helps to have some kind of understand of where in this Huge World you are located. A general region is helpful.

Diet. Your question assume you have read the 'I Love Amazons --," Thread at the top of the Amazon Sub-forum. Regained diet, the % is provided as a guide to what a healthy Amazon diet would include and what part of a diet each should represent. Clearly, as the variation of available foods in an Amazons natural range changes over any given year, there will be variations as to what is being consumed. The goal is clearly show that a diet is far more than a single item, like pellets. But, that each group a part of the overall health diet provided each day.

As you may recall, each group had a sliding scale in the % provided, which allows for seasonal variations and the choices your Amazon will make each day.

General Points:
- The Dry Foods provided should be purchased and frozen in separate packets, which represent about one weeks feeding dated and numbered to assure rotation. The goal of freezing is to kill of any bugs and to maintain freshness.
- The Wet Foods can be made up in advance (Chop) and frozen or if you have the time cut and provided fresh each day. The goal of this group is that it is healthy fresh (or frozen) food.

There are a ton of recipes to be found with in Parrotforum.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Amazons!

FYI: Never bring home a Parrot that has not been fully weened and has been fully on solid food for at least two weeks!

Thank you, Sailboat. She is a DYH 20-25 years old. I talked about her and am the one who wrote the Thread "Possible Adoption Happening(New to the Forum).

I live in NM.

I did read through the % info, I am just curious how people move from that info to how they put it all together.

Your knowledge is incredible and I am thankful you have shared it all! It's just a little overwhelming. I will be referencing it A LOT!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its stressful to go to a new home. So offer everything he us already eating. But I offer is seperate dishes every thing I hope they will eat. I dont rush transition. Once tgey are eating everything new I wanted them to eat, I start decreasing the old foods I didn't want them to eat.

Oven baked bites are my favorite and my parrots favorite, I like the ingredients, and that they dont waste.

On foods I'm sure its different for most and species and the birds activity level.

Mine have pellets and seed mix free choice in cage, only caged fir an hour a day and at night, unless I'm out if the house. Veggies first thing as they race out if the cafe to find in tge morning and chow. I only do fresh, with minimal cutting or no cutting, they got beaks right! They like to chew destroy right? Lol even the budgies do fine with whole , or cut in half Veggies. I rotate what I offer and offer about 5 different types daily In the morning, and afternoon. I use the stainless steel kabobs, and spread out in wide shallow dishes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The greatest concern that we have when we bring in an elderly Amazon is they're choosing not to eat. We rarely know anything about our new owner as they are commonly dumped and if lucky at a Vet's office or Rescue.

At first, we will feed them near anything they will eat. As stated above, you can start with what they have been eating! That will at least, with hope, having them eat something. Changing the diet of an older Adult Amazon is an undertaking, especially if they are a Sunflower seed and Peanut Junky!!! I have seen full-on refusal to touch anything. Only had one head for starvation, we had to formula feed her for near three weeks prior to her finely starting to eat. Our only guess was full-on fear! She was also our first truly abused Amazon.

Transition works best when you have some level of trust in place and they at least believe that you may not be trying to kill them. After the first couple of weeks begin adding the new stuff in. With pellets we crush them and sprinkle lightly on wet food and their dry food. The operative word is lightly! The goal is to get them to taste it. Common in error as it sticks to the wet food.

About me, I do not consider myself an expert at loving and living with Parrots nor in reality, Amazons. At most, I'm a steadfast Amazon Snob! The why is simple, they are the 'come-back-kids of the Parrot World. They will allow you to screw-up and start-over from the ground-up again. I started deeper in the hole of knowledge than you. Our first Amazon was a small LC and she was near nude from racking herself across the bars of her cage as she screamed at anyone that came near. She was give to me by the Pet Store Owner with a promise to never bring her back!!! So, for the cost of a small bag of seed and a small cage, she came home with me. She taught me near everything I know about Amazons!!!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dude, you constantly amaze me with the depth of your Amazon knowledge. I think sometimes everything I know about Amazons may have come from that thread. 'Boats, the board is lucky to have you.

OP - the man knows his stuff! Great advice on switching and introducing new foods.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Have your digital kitchen scale ready! Tgen yiu can track weights. Watch like a hawk the first 2 weeks in a new home, as stress can have them break with an infection that was hidden before. Prevent any chill. I've always had a radiant heat panel for my birds, and for the first few days I bring a new one home they get the panel.

Most Reactions