Pregnant Molly PHOTOS

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
hello, I have taken on a pregnant molly that one of my friends was going to kill. so, I don't know how far along in her pregnancy she is, and wa wondering if anyone can provide some help? photos are attached

IMG-3182.jpg

Attachments

• 69060019024--F01438E6-865A-4946-A5C9-4C5990701863.jpg
    69060019024--F01438E6-865A-4946-A5C9-4C5990701863.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 69059993197--D131399D-C139-4993-BBD2-9704166339B4.jpg
    69059993197--D131399D-C139-4993-BBD2-9704166339B4.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 43

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
First, thank you so much for taking in the molly before your friend killed it I am so glad that you took in the molly,.

second, Mollys do not lay eggs unlike other fish, they give birth to live fish, pregnant mollies usually give birth after 45 to 60 days, the number of frys( baby fish) usually depends on the age of the molly the more mature the molly is the more frys, they typically give birth to 10-100 frys, after the frys are born the parents do not provide any care to the frys, the good news is that just after a few hours after their birth they will be able to feed and swim, the bad news is usually the mom after she gives birth she may eat the frys depending on how hungry she is but the frys normally after they are born they imddeilty look for somewhere to hide so you have to have many places a fry could hide in to avoid being eaten or you separate the frys from the mom but its better to keep them in the same aquarium just get more hides you could get real plants or fake plants but real plants are much better, but even with hides some frys would be eaten I know it may seem cruel but it is a natural way to control the growth of your molly population.

Change out 10-30% of their water each week to keep the tank clean, its best preferred to use a sponge filter so they will not be drawn in by the current, you will also need a heater the ideal temperature is 70 to 82°F (21 to 27.7°C).

Feeding,
Small meals are best. Do not feed your fish any more than they can consume in three to five minutes. brine shrimp or worms are always a hit, but you could use dry food.

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
I have a question have you ever had fish?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know you can screen off or enclose part of your fish tank to keep mom and dad from eating the fry. Maybe you could do that to preserve some of them.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Yes, Iv'e kept fish for a good 7ish years now, and suprisingly, not a SINGLE one has died on me yet (even since bringing them home). I am also aware they are livebearers, but i was wondering if anyone with prior experience would know HOW FAR ALONG she is in her pregnancy. I do not mean to come off rude, just trying to get the point out there.

in second regards, I can't find a tank divider. Does anyone know where they sell 25g tank dividers?ive checked amazon but it is kindof confusing, some of the holes on them look to big like they were meant for Bettas. if anyone has links for that, LMK

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes, Iv'e kept fish for a good 7ish years now, and suprisingly, not a SINGLE one has died on me yet (even since bringing them home). I am also aware they are livebearers, but i was wondering if anyone with prior experience would know HOW FAR ALONG she is in her pregnancy. I do not mean to come off rude, just trying to get the point out there.

in second regards, I can't find a tank divider. Does anyone know where they sell 25g tank dividers?ive checked amazon but it is kindof confusing, some of the holes on them look to big like they were meant for Bettas. if anyone has links for that, LMK
I think the containers for fry might be called brood containers or fry containers, something like that. I remember seeing sort of plastic mesh boxes with holes that maybe the fry could swim through but the big fish couldn’t, or maybe that none could swim through. It’s been a long time.

I used to work in a fish lab and cleaned and managed cichlids, breeding and non breeding.

OP
TheofficialParakeet

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Hey! if yall wanted to know. Sadly my water perameters were incorrect, and babies died. mama wasn't able to handle giving birth and survived just long enough to give birth :(

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
First, thank you so much for taking in the molly before your friend killed it I am so glad that you took in the molly,.

second, Mollys do not lay eggs unlike other fish, they give birth to live fish, pregnant mollies usually give birth after 45 to 60 days, the number of frys( baby fish) usually depends on the age of the molly the more mature the molly is the more frys, they typically give birth to 10-100 frys, after the frys are born the parents do not provide any care to the frys, the good news is that just after a few hours after their birth they will be able to feed and swim, the bad news is usually the mom after she gives birth she may eat the frys depending on how hungry she is but the frys normally after they are born they imddeilty look for somewhere to hide so you have to have many places a fry could hide in to avoid being eaten or you separate the frys from the mom but its better to keep them in the same aquarium just get more hides you could get real plants or fake plants but real plants are much better, but even with hides some frys would be eaten I know it may seem cruel but it is a natural way to control the growth of your molly population.

Change out 10-30% of their water each week to keep the tank clean, its best preferred to use a sponge filter so they will not be drawn in by the current, you will also need a heater the ideal temperature is 70 to 82°F (21 to 27.7°C).

Feeding,
Small meals are best. Do not feed your fish any more than they can consume in three to five minutes. brine shrimp or worms are always a hit, but you could use dry food.
Wonderful advice on what to do with Mama Molly! Tropical fish keeping and breeding is one of my passions.

Most Reactions