Prepping for power outages

Ellavemia

Jan 17, 2018
The extreme weather is crazy and getting worse all the time.

This past winter, we had a 2-day stretch where the power was out while it was in the teens outside. We have natural gas heat with the fan that is electric, so nothing worked, but we had hot water. The temperature in the house dropped to 38 F. The family consists of my 3 cats, husband, and my green-cheek conure Vega.

To stay alive, we went into the bedroom and closed the door, Vega in his sturdy Prevue Pet travel cage with blankets over all but the front and tented around that. We had hand warmers and water bottles that I filled with water as hot as it would get. Temp was maintained in the upper sixties in his area.

This summer, we already had a 3-day power outage during the hottest days so far. That luckily didn't affect us and with a bigger airy and spacious main floor, I don't worry about overheating.

We can't afford the whole-house generator system yet that runs on your existing natural gas, but I plan on getting that as soon as possible. In the meantime, I want to prepare as well as possible in advance of this coming winter, in case that horrible situation happens again.

1. Propane is of course out of the question. Maybe a small propane stove for outdoors for heating food, but I would never use that indoors, even before having a bird.
  2. We have a working wood fireplace that we've never used due to those being dirty and creating fumes. We also have never had the chimney swept since buying the house, so it may not be suitable for burning wood without maintenance.
  3. I've discovered that battery powered heaters do not exist, nor do battery back ups powerful enough to run something with a heating element.
  4. I was thinking about getting the canned alcohol fuel to put in the fireplace but I read that also has bad fumes. The only thing that I can come up with is unscented, uncolored natural soy candles. A few of those could be placed in the fireplace, and we can close off the living room.

Does anyone have suggestions for possible ways to heat a room that are relatively safe in an emergency?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am not sure about heating a room but I had a power outage in winter. I actually put my Quaker in her small carrier and brought the carrier and bird into bed with me under the blankets.

Not the best solution but it kept her warm until the house got warm again.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First, per your statement: "The extreme weather is crazy and getting worse all the time." is just not true!! The weather has and does vary from year to year, decade to decade. Not going to get in to a discussion regarding that point, but will state that I'm old and have experienced the wide cross-section of weather.

Reality: The Electrical Power Grid in most States has shut-down power generation facilities and as a result, rolling power outages (black-outs) are happening and will become more common. Utilities in some States have not kept the trees from growing over as a result, ever smaller Weather events are resulting in Power Failure, which can last from a few hours to several days.

If you are really concerned, you need to at least target a system that will supply 50% of your homes requirement. Specifically, your natural gas or propane furnace (in the Winter) and your Refrigerator and several lights. Depending on the size of your home, that would be a 3500 watt generator minimum targeting a 5500 watt unit. I like the 5500 series as it can support 240 Volt supply that will support both sides of your home wiring. Lots of techno stuff in that but is easy enough to make happen by someone that knows electrical wiring.

FYI: Adding a full-home, auto-switching natural gas or propane based generator is a worthy investment in your home and will increase the value of your home, greater than what it costs you.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Outages are one reason Iā€™d like to live in a home with a fireplace or a wood stove. If the electric heat fails, you all pack into one room and shut the door.

I am now in a small city and if my power went out, weā€™d all stay in the bedroom or bath and use candles. I read that they produce a surprising amount of heat. Candles are dangerous but being frozen is also dangerous.

In summer when itā€™s gotten really hot Iā€™ve misted my birds and packed their cage corners with frozen bottles of water. Iā€™m glad I have AC now!

I keep thinking I need to put solar panels in my apartment windows or build a generator to hook up to my exercise bike.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Please visit your local Fire Department to confirm this: Candles are a serious fire hazard and for what very little heat they make just are not worth the danger.

You have touched on possible source for electrical power. Consider an Automotive Alternator to connect to your exercise bike. Look for a new technology unit (recent) as they commonly create 14 to 16 volts where the older one work to provide 13 to 14 volts.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Would you recommend another non-electric heat source? I canā€™t have much in an apartment.

I am talking about a real emergency in winter, which hopefully wonā€™t happen. But it surely has on the coast.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A propane heater head that mounts on a small tank (think Grilling size). The heater heads are available in several sizes and you are looking for a small size. This product creates fumes, but no more that a cooking oven. They have to be treated as an 'open' flame as although the heat surface does not display a 'flame' it is very hot!! They are far from my first choice, but there is just so very little available for apartment living.

Apartment living is a problem because it belongs to others and what is available is designed to connect into one's Utilities, which is not available to the renter.

Most Reactions

Latest posts