Pretty Bird Daily Select?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Hi, so I discovered a pellet brand called Pretty Bird. I can get all sizes but I cannot get the species specific for cockatiels because it is not sold on Amazon and will not ship outside of the continental USA because Alaska :/

Anyway, I believe that itā€™s a brand that I could feed to Rico and my future budgie, and want to know your thoughts.

Ground Corn, Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Soya Oil, Oat Hulls, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Artificial Flavors, Attapulgite Clay, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Magnesium Oxide, Betaine Anhydrous, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Silicon Dioxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Mixed Tocopherols, Copper Sulfate, Yucca schidigera Plant Extract, Zinc Oxide, FD&C Red 40, FD&C Yellow 6, FD&C Yellow 5, FD&C Blue 1, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

These are the ingredients.

And I know, Iā€™m not one for dyes but itā€™s not the worst thing in the world. It doesnā€™t have salt (like Ricoā€™s pellets do), it doesnā€™t have sugar (like his old pellets did), and it has natural clay in it for a lot of the vitamins needed. It even has different flavors which could be a nice change for him considering I canā€™t provide a flavorful variety in his diet for probably a while. And if the daily select is no longer available, I can go for the Natural Gold, and if both are no longer available, I have a few other options available.

Now, hereā€™s another question: what size do I pick to use for a budgie and cockatiel? The small says itā€™s for budgies, cockatiels, small conures, and lovebirds but the mini says finches and canaries.

Thank you for reading!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Personally, I wouldnā€™t feed these pellets. Not just because of the colors, the ingredients arenā€™t fantastic. Maybe if you feed him another pellet as most of his pellet consumption, and these donā€™t make up a huge portion.
If I remember right you said he eats pssitacus pellets?
Or was it Lafebers?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Personally, I wouldnā€™t feed these pellets. Not just because of the colors, the ingredients arenā€™t fantastic. Maybe if you feed him another pellet as most of his pellet consumption, and these donā€™t make up a huge portion.
If I remember right you said he eats pssitacus pellets?
Or was it Lafebers?
Itā€™s Psittacus but the ingredients in it apparently arenā€™t too good either. Upon closer inspection, the main ingredients are just wheat and oats with a crap ton of vitamins. No idea how I missed that. So I do believe that pretty bird could definitely be better than Psittacus. It has a natural clay in it which is more nutritious than wheat and oats. I did also accidentally start a whole nuclear war on Facebook over it lmao

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Itā€™s Psittacus but the ingredients in it apparently arenā€™t too good either. Upon closer inspection, the main ingredients are just wheat and oats with a crap ton of vitamins. No idea how I missed that. So I do believe that pretty bird could definitely be better than Psittacus. It has a natural clay in it which is more nutritious than wheat and oats. I did also accidentally start a whole nuclear war on Facebook over it lmao
Oh okay, Iā€™m not very familiar with Psittacus so I couldnā€™t remember.
The clay is a great ingredient though in the pretty bird.
Does the natural gold formula have artificial colors?
At the very least, I would avoid pellets that have artificial colors.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Oh okay, Iā€™m not very familiar with Psittacus so I couldnā€™t remember.
The clay is a great ingredient though in the pretty bird.
Does the natural gold formula have artificial colors?
At the very least, I would avoid pellets that have artificial colors.
Yeah, it just has yellow in it but it is more expensive because they use more ingredients and I am not entirely sure a budgie could eat it at the size itā€™s at. I have a mortar and pestle (thanks hyper ark obsession from 2 years ago! Itā€™s super useful lol) and could crush up some pellets for the budgie.

However, I think that dyes are a fair trade for no salt or sugars. if it was a stupid expensive pellet (like tops for example), then Iā€™d point and laugh and call it a joke. However itā€™s in our budget and is cheaper than zupreem yet, more nutritious than Psittacus. And you get a lot of bang for your buck (21$ for 5LBS! Not 20$ for 2 LBS like zupreem, and No having to pay like 45$ for like 6 LBS like Psittacus) and It could last a while in the long run since it takes Rico (on avg) 1-2.5 months to finish a LBS bag of pellets.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I guess if theyā€™re the best pellets for you and the most readily available/cost effective then I would say get them.

Iā€™ve stopped feeding pellets almost altogether. I give them just to my GCC as a snack, he thinks their treats šŸ˜…
Not because the pellets are bad, just because, to me, they arenā€™t good enough for me to pay for them.

I understand where they have their usefulness, and they are decent sometimes too.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I guess if theyā€™re the best pellets for you and the most readily available/cost effective then I would say get them.

Iā€™ve stopped feeding pellets almost altogether. I give them just to my GCC as a snack, he thinks their treats šŸ˜…
Not because the pellets are bad, just because, to me, they arenā€™t good enough for me to pay for them.

I understand where they have their usefulness, and they are decent sometimes too.
Alright, once Rico burns through his current pellets, heā€™ll be onto pretty bird since I have 3 options readily available.

Omg ur gcc actually enjoys pellets as a treat?! Rico could never. Heā€™d see it as a betrayalšŸ’€

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Alright, once Rico burns through his current pellets, heā€™ll be onto pretty bird since I have 3 options readily available.

Omg ur gcc actually enjoys pellets as a treat?! Rico could never. Heā€™d see it as a betrayalšŸ’€
Yep! He thinks the same thing about thin sliced carrot and freeze dried peas šŸ˜†
Not my kinda snack but whatever works for him!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Yep! He thinks the same thing about thin sliced carrot and freeze dried peas šŸ˜†
Not my kinda snack but whatever works for him!
Omg that is awesome! Peas are good tho šŸ‘€

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ona was waned on these from the breeder. I switched her to Harrisonā€™s because of the dyes and just wanted something better. But she did like Pretty Bird.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Ona was waned on these from the breeder. I switched her to Harrisonā€™s because of the dyes and just wanted something better. But she did like Pretty Bird.
Rico likes Harrisonā€™s but we canā€™t afford the shipping or high cost of food on Amazon for so little product. Goes for most of the pellets I can get. Lafeberā€™s is good but a bit pricey for what you get. Pretty Bird has no salt or sugars but it has dyes (to my knowledge the undyed one isnā€™t available in small). TOPs is like 15 bucks or something for like 12 oz. When I bought that in late ā€˜21. Psittacus is not as good as I thought, Kaytee has a low quality of food and is stupid expensive, Higgins has sugar and is expensive, same with zupreem, Mazuri just corn, soy, salt, and preservatives (and smells like a really cheap dog food), so pretty bird is pretty much my only good option since itā€™s relatively affordable, no salt, no dyes, has good minerals in it from the natural clay added, has most of the vitamins needed (natural gold has all of it but is expensive for how much you get.) so I think Iā€™m going to aim for pretty bird since itā€™s the best Iā€™ve got available to me that isnā€™t stupidly expensive or has any salt or sugar.

Most Reactions

Latest posts