Pretzel's Odd Personality?

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
Donut: Blue Pied Parrotlet,
Pretzel: Violet Masked Lovebird
So, you know how lovebirds are very into companionship? (The guy at the pet store lectured me for 30 minutes about how they like only one person and that's it, even though I've bought handfuls of birds from that store, you ever have that happen to you? :34:)

I was told that he would fall instantly in love with one person/bird and he's have a companion but.. Pretzel's a lone wolf. He has a very odd personality, like no bird I've ever raised before.. He LIKES other birds, and doesn't attack them when around them, but he doesn't snuggle, play, or even sleep with anyone. He sleeps alone and wants to be alone a lot. I've had him for 5 months already and he was young when I got him. I must admit, when we first met, I spent so much time handling and correcting the other birds, I kinda only talked with him face to face when he was in trouble. So as you can already tell, it led to mistrust and fear between us.

I've realized my mistake and for the past two months I've been very calm with him, never getting angry and trying everything I did with the other birds to bond with him (speak nicely, share snacks, give him new toys). He still doesn't take food from my hands but when I set him down and pretend to ignore him, he starts eating it..? He leaves his cage a lot to snuggle with the blanket draped over it, but won't let me take him out of his cage? He's really odd and particular.

Tonight, I sat with him, and he tried flying away from me constantly like usual and growling at my hands and any kisses I tried giving him. I picked him up each time without scolding him and just reestablished that it's "us time" again.

Then he started doing behavior I've never seen him do before.

He bit the back of my neck twice (really hurt) and chewed my clothes, preened me (a first??), and even squeaked a shrill sound in my ear for a single moment when I sang. Right now he crawled from my should onto my lap so he can snuggle my chubby stomach (again he's NEVER done before??). I'm afraid I'll misread his behavior so I need second opinions.

Is he slowly regaining trust with me, or is he permanently a loner?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi and welcome. For the sake of someone who desperately needs to go back to the optician please change your text back to the normal size and colour, this will make it so much easier to read and thus reply. Won't look so pretty, granted.

OP
deloresa

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
Hi and welcome. For the sake of someone who desperately needs to go back to the optician please change your text back to the normal size and colour, this will make it so much easier to read and thus reply. Won't look so pretty, granted.

sure, hun! as soon as i figure out how... :)

OP
deloresa

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
So, you know how lovebirds are very into companionship? (The guy at the pet store lectured me for 30 minutes about how they like only one person and that's it, even though I've bought handfuls of birds from that store, you ever have that happen to you? )

I was told that he would fall instantly in love with one person/bird and he's have a companion but.. Pretzel's a lone wolf. He has a very odd personality, like no bird I've ever raised before.. He LIKES other birds, and doesn't attack them when around them, but he doesn't snuggle, play, or even sleep with anyone. He sleeps alone and wants to be alone a lot. I've had him for 5 months already and he was young when I got him. I must admit, when we first met, I spent so much time handling and correcting the other birds, I kinda only talked with him face to face when he was in trouble. So as you can already tell, it led to mistrust and fear between us.

I've realized my mistake and for the past two months I've been very calm with him, never getting angry and trying everything I did with the other birds to bond with him (speak nicely, share snacks, give him new toys). He still doesn't take food from my hands but when I set him down and pretend to ignore him, he starts eating it..? He leaves his cage a lot to snuggle with the blanket draped over it, but won't let me take him out of his cage? He's really odd and particular.

Tonight, I sat with him, and he tried flying away from me constantly like usual and growling at my hands and any kisses I tried giving him. I picked him up each time without scolding him and just reestablished that it's "us time" again.

Then he started doing behavior I've never seen him do before.

He bit the back of my neck twice (really hurt) and chewed my clothes, preened me (a first??), and even squeaked a shrill sound in my ear for a single moment when I sang. Right now he crawled from my should onto my lap so he can snuggle my chubby stomach (again he's NEVER done before??). I'm afraid I'll misread his behavior so I need second opinions.

Is he slowly regaining trust with me, or is he permanently a loner?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sounds like he is slowly beginning to trust you. Go at his pace. Snuggling with belly is a good sign.

OP
deloresa

deloresa

Jul 1, 2016
Parrot Island
Parrots
Sounds like he is slowly beginning to trust you. Go at his pace. Snuggling with belly is a good sign.

You think so? Ah, that makes me so glad. I was worried I had permanently ruined his trust. I'm so glad I get to "live and learn", but it makes me feel so awful that I had to learn at the expense of this poor baby's feelings..

Some days, when I hold him, it's like our bonding never happened and he reverts back to his old behavior. I'll continue to move at a slow pace and I'll update when he makes significant progress! Thanks again, pal! <3

Most Reactions

Latest posts