Prices

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
We paid 2800 for Ralph. Ten yr old BFA. Plus tax... you can imagine it was no small investment, not an impulsive buy, a well thought out decision.
I think we paid too much, but it wasn't about "a bird" it was about Ralph.
So, we've looked around, learning, researching, contemplating adding a second fid to our home.
The same place we brought Ralph home from has an orange wing they want $2400 for.

I balked at the price of the Catalina macaw, because it was way out of my price range, not because it was too high, though he was 20yrs old. (A 5 yr old scarlet macaw that was snapped up really fast went for 1700 the same week at a store)
I do realize that types of amazon are more or less common, and that dyh for example, are more expensive, and, Ralph's price tag wasn't necessarily high for a bfa (if he'd been young, from a breeder, not a 5th hand purchase with baggage)
But.... that's about twice what I'd expected when I called about it(not sexed) ... and, he says it was on an all seed diet, transitioning to pellets nicely, but very very shy, (he said, "runs from you") and between 5 & 8 yrs old.

However, they are selling. Very fast, in fact. Every time I see a bird I'd like to meet, it's gone. So, value is in the eye of the buyer, I guess.

Is it just me? Or should I look into breeders?
I'd prefer not, tbh. But older, rehomed birds going for breeder prices doesn't seem fair to anyone.
I don't want to jump on a purchase because they'll go fast, I'd rather make sure we get along. Feeling pressured to jump makes for bad decisions.

I'm happy to wait. And wait. And wait.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Picture of Ralph for fun.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
4f882efb0da30172363e66866e8ea848.jpg

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow, sticker shock! That does sound high to me, but I have to admit I'm way out of touch with these things. With the exception of the budgies I had as a kid, every one of my birds have been rescues/re-homes. I'm fortunate that we have a wonderful refuge about an hour from us, and the adoption fees are really nominal by comparison. They really take the time to make sure the bird and you are a good fit, and require a number of visitation hours to do so. They're also great with them while they're there. Some of them do have baggage, so there's time and energy invested in helping them to be adoptable. My YNA was there for a year before she found me- she's, ummmm... picky and very opinionated, lol! My Ekkie was only there for a few weeks, a social butterfly ready to go, and couldn't have come along at a better time for me.

Ralph is gorgeous BTW, a bargain at any price :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thats the prices I see. All parrots are getting snapped up here really fast as well. All of a sudden people are wanting parrots.........I pray they did the research and know parrots are hard to keep.

I'm afraid in 2 years when the babies become adults there is going to be a flood of re homed ...

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I spoke to the owner of the local pet shop recently about prices.
Cockatiel thar would sell for just over $100.00 are now going for $300.00

She said that the demand has gone up with the lockdown.
Lots of people looking for companionship.
I hope we don’t end up with a surge in unwanted parrots.

OP
R

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
Yup. That's my fear. Next year they'll be like the bunnies and chicks from Easter, the Christmas puppy, the valentines kitten.

You can't even find a cockatiel around here!
Meanwhile, people are rehoming budgies.
Budgies. Seriously. Too much work? Noise?
What on earth are people thinking when they buy one?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
To your question, they are not thinking at all. They are satisfying a want! And the nightmare is that when the Parrot takes a serious bite, etc, etc, etc.

Price is always based on demand and demand is based on location, location, location.

Those are not crazy prices, what-so-ever.
There is an ever growing problem with breeders now a day as they are pushing unweaned parrots on to unknowing buyers and the problems are serious from starvation to serious behavior issues.

Please set up a New Parrot Medical Examination at the clinic of an Avian Medical Professional ASAP to assure you have a healthy Amazon. Get s/he DNA sex tested at that time and consider having your Amazon microchipped after the DNA test.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons. IMHO, one should never obtain another large Parrot until you have had the current parrot for at least two years.

See the Amazon Sub-forum and assure that you read the two highlighted Threads at the top, starting with Understanding Amazon Body Language.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
When I got Amy 31 years ago the guy wasn't a "breeder" per say...he just sold baby Amazons ( he had about 20 blue fronts that were 4 months old) I paid $400.00.
but back then a new car was about $5,000.00 too :20:
Local pet shops I've seen different flavors of Amazons for 2800 to 3300 but pet shops are always outrageous...cockatiels for $275. I purchased BB from a breeder who had his parents on site for $150 and he was 4.5 months old so my guess a breeder for would be less than a pet shop..but of course it'll depend on said breeder.

Jim

Anita1250

Oct 19, 2017
NYC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon 35 years old
I paid $500 for my Sam in February of 1983. He was 11 weeks old and not weaned yet. He is still going strong! I guess I got my $500 worth LOL

Most Reactions

Latest posts