Prospective bird dad

ray-of-flight

Jun 14, 2023
Parrots
None yet, am studying for my first one
Howdy, I'm Simon, 32, living in Canada. Over a decade ago I had a rat that bonded with me over it's cagemates, rode on my shoulder, travelled with me, had brief supervised outside trips. While I know that was very risky (dumb 20 year old) I have seen the joy a pet gets from outside visits. Because of allergies and personal tastes I do not want a cat or dog, I love strange little animals and the work it takes to learn how to care for them. Rats are banned in my province so I started to look into birds and just fell in love. I have been doing studying on the long and careful training process it takes to free-flight and/or harness a bird outside. I'm not much for the attention taking a rarer pet outside with you can bring, but the joy of travelling with your friend is amazing.

I am still deciding the type of bird that is right for me. I will be adopting from a local rescue and considering between a conure, lovebird, quaker, amazon, or BnG macaw. I am learning of the unique challenges and difficulties macaws present and with their cost, I know they are not advised for a first time bird person, but am struggling not to fall in love with them! Especially as I would like to free-fly eventually rather than harness, it is hard to say no! But I will likely end up with a more medium sized pal. I may get more birds in the future but really I think I'd rather be a single bird kind of guy.. I am home most of the time so I would have all the time in the world to interact with my friend. While at this point I'm so excited I'd like to run into the rescue and take whatever bird they hand me, I'm taking my time doing my learning before making my choice as I know/hope my friend will be with me for decades long.

Thanks all for running or participating in this wonderful little space

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I have at this point one thing to tell you. Do your research! Aside from all that goes into keeping a parrot heathy, engaged and involved, your desire to free fly is likely going to be affected by the presence of raptors in your area. Even a HIGHLY trained parrot, who knows recall perfectly, will get run off the reservation if they are startled or chased by a raptor. Good bye parrot, even if he is not actually caught.

I tell everyone that sees me with Salty or talks to me about getting a parrot - the idea of owning a parrot is a LOT different then actually owning one. HUGE difference. Sanctuaries are filled with parrots from those kind of folks who dont really know what it entails. They are loud, they are messy, they are very destructive and they BITE!! Expensive to maintain. More like a perpetual 3yr old with a razor sharp can opener on its face. And they live for decades and decades. Just because you like them, they do not necessarily like you back; they are known for switching their allegiance to others (usually the person who can't stand parrots).

If, after reading this and doing your research, you still want to be the minion of a feathered overlord, by all means get a parrot.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello, and welcome! I'm happy you're doing your research before jumping right in with an impulse buy. If the plan is to adopt from a local rescue, (bravo for considering them! All of mine are rescue/rehomes) I would recommend spending as much time as you can visiting there, or ideally volunteering. That way, you can get valuable hands on experience and understanding of the daily care of a parrot, and if and when the time comes, allow the bird to choose you. They're much better at it than we are. While we see their appearance, and maybe a bit of their personalities, they don't really care about what you look like. They see YOU. All of you. Who you are, what you are, your energy, everything, and they decide if they like that or don't. Also, keep an open mind. The bird that chooses you just might be something you hadn't thought of. My first ekkie came to me exactly that way. I had never even heard of them, let alone know how to care for one with their particular dietary needs, but here we are. :)

OP
ray-of-flight

ray-of-flight

Jun 14, 2023
Parrots
If, after reading this and doing your research, you still want to be the minion of a feathered overlord, by all means get a parrot.
When I first started looking into birds I wasn't so sure, they are very pretty but I didn't really consider them a type of pet for me. THE MORE I LEARN THE MORE I LOVE THEM! I didn't know what rude little bastards they can be - right up my alley. I saw someone else put it in a very relatable way .. I don't necessarily relate to the unconditional love of a dog, I like animals that don't take your bullshit.
Also, keep an open mind. The bird that chooses you just might be something you hadn't thought of. :)
I haven't been in person yet but the rescue I am choosing seems awesome. I can't volunteer due to disability-related schedule difficulties, but will definitely visit multiple times before the final Day of the Bird. They require all adopters take a very detailed course that they run. And yes that is very true. Knowing me I am sure if I go in and one bird takes a liking to me more than others I couldn't say no.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! Thank you for considering adopting from a rescue! Best of luck to you in your research. My advice is keep reading and watching videos about the species you are interested in and learn all you can about them. Visiting them at the rescue is a great idea - especially if they will let you hold the birds to see what handling them is like. Once you feel well informed don't be afraid to go with your gut even if it's not a "beginner bird". The right bird for you is the right one for YOU. If you are interested in a larger bird like a macaw I would just be sure you are comfortable with handling one and not intimidated by the larger size and beak.

Also keep in mind that while learning about species is very important each individual bird will have its own personality and unique challenges. Harness training is an awesome goal but CHALLENGING and something you really have to build up to and work at after a lot of trust is built and you learn how to be a good trainer. Keep in mind that any bird you get may do great with harness training, or not. You may have a bird you can take outside with you on a harness or you may get one that it just doesn't work out. Be sure that you are ok with the commitment of bird ownership either way. Sometimes we have visions for our birds that the bird just doesn't agree with! They all have their own quirks and things they will tolerate and things they won't.

OP
ray-of-flight

ray-of-flight

Jun 14, 2023
Parrots
You may have a bird you can take outside with you on a harness or you may get one that it just doesn't work out. Be sure that you are ok with the commitment of bird ownership either way. Sometimes we have visions for our birds that the bird just doesn't agree with! They all have their own quirks and things they will tolerate and things they won't.
Thanks for the welcome. Yup, while I always acknowledged this as a possibility, because all animals have their unique personalities, I've definitely adjusted and learned more about my expectations. While the ability to bring a bird outside was my main motivator in learning about birds, as I wanted a pet who was able to do that and I will still keep it in mind when choosing mine, I've instead become very interested in birds as a whole and feel compelled to get one regardless of the outcome.

Your Ona is very sweet, reminds me of maybe my favorite parrot I saw on the rescue's site, Greenie. Unfortunately he fought with his pair lovebird and had to be separated.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Welcome! I hope you are able to find all the info you need to bring a feathered friend into your life :giggle:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm sure your browsing the forums so you probably saw my video that I posted twice recently I'm not going to do it again, but the bird chooses you. Get the one that comes forward when you get close to thier cage anad you will be life long freinds.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome! I myself also fell hard and fast for parrots once I started learning about them :)

One thing to keep in mind is that some species are often happier when they aren't the only bird. I personally think Quakers thrive best when they aren't a solo bird; they are so social!

I agree that being able to meet the birds will likely decide for you :) My first parrot wasn't at all who I expected to bring home, but he and I just clicked!

Tinabell

Jun 9, 2019
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon. Born 4-2-19
A lot depends on what you want . Is it ok if you have a big bird that chews your doorframe, window sill etc? Yoh have to buy a lot of new toys often and have perches , swings, ropes , trees etc out to keep them busy so they won’t destroy your house. I have an African grey and she has figured out how to bite off the faucet spray on off switch . I just spent $160 on a new faucet that she can’t do this to. A smaller bird may be easier on your house, but maybe not as much fun for you ? I would go to the rescue , find a few birds that you like , ask so many questions on each and then go home and study up on each species . Be sure if the bird doesn’t work for you you can return it to the rescue and choose another if you want.

Most Reactions

Latest posts