Protecting birds when hopping on cages

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
One of my dilemas with Ninja, was how do I protect the toes of my other birds, when they jump on the sides and top of his cage.

I used a blanket, folded in half, and placed over the top and came down both sides of the cage. It was do-able but he didn't have a lot of light, which bothered me. Depending on the thickness of the blanket he could still get his beak in between the bars and pinch their toes.

One day my younger cat broke one of our blinds, which is made out of a stiffer fabric/linen(bought from Wal-Mart) I kept it until I found another use for it.

I used the blind to cover Ninjas' cage, I cut it so size, and it's just thick enough to prevent him from biting any toes....and lets in plenty of light.

I clipped it on with the dollar store pegs, until I find a better solution to keep it on.:D

IMG_2470_zps07b37536.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
LoL....I had to do the same thing with Malachai's cage, but not because of biting but he shoots poop everywhere. But he absolutely HATES it!!!! He kept removing them and my partner says let him be, he want to see the world around him. So we just have to scrub off his poo now....lol

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
My lovebird is the same way. He bites everyone's toes, wherever they are, on his cage. I used a similar covering, but, he could still see them, and went after them anyway. After a few nips, none too severe, they've all learned to stay off of his cage.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
LoL....I had to do the same thing with Malachai's cage, but not because of biting but he shoots poop everywhere. But he absolutely HATES it!!!! He kept removing them and my partner says let him be, he want to see the world around him. So we just have to scrub off his poo now....lol

oh, yuck...lol

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
My lovebird is the same way. He bites everyone's toes, wherever they are, on his cage. I used a similar covering, but, he could still see them, and went after them anyway. After a few nips, none too severe, they've all learned to stay off of his cage.

lovebirds have to be the worst for it, my l.b. cages are covered too, but just on top, like you say they all learn to stay away

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
We used a duvet cover for on the top (and sides) of the budgie's cage but we always have them facing the sun so their entire cage was still lit. We just uncover the cage some more when Merlin isn't around too.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I had to go to ace hardware and have a piece of clear plexiglass to fit on top. It's invisible, but it protects my budgies, who have more curiosity than common sense.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
I had to go to ace hardware and have a piece of clear plexiglass to fit on top. It's invisible, but it protects my budgies, who have more curiosity than common sense.

I thought of plexiglass, but Ninjas cage is round on top.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Nice job repurposing something from around the house. It looks like it fits well and definitely lets a lot of light through.

thank you, that's what it was all about, thinking outside the box :)

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
You know, the cage I want for Nika has a rounded top, so thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna have to figure something out for that, because a rounded top will be irrestable to the budgies.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013

What a great idea!

Most Reactions

Latest posts