Protecting the bed against poo

LoyalOrange503

May 25, 2019
UK
Parrots
2 Budgies.
1 Cockatiel
Hello there,

I've bought a cockatiel about 2 months ago and her introduction is going great with my budgies in the living room. Her cage ha been situated in the bedroom during the quarantine and Coco (my male budgie) is absolutely in love with Zoe (the cockatiel). Unfortunately this means he can be quite pushy and for this reason i usually bring Zoe back to the bedroom after hanging out with the budgies in the living room. Zoe really likes to explore. hops to the ground, starts to walk around, and she loves the bed! unfortunately this means my partner gets annoyed quite regularly to Zoe as he finds bird poo on his side of the bed.

I'm planning on buying a bed cover or something like that to cover the bed with so that she can still explore and climb over the bed without leaving any of the poo on the covers or the bed itself. Thus far, with the research I have done, I've found that basically the only option is a bed cover for people who are incontinent, and than (seeing as I'm going to throw it over the bed instead of using it as a bedsheet) there is still the question of whether it would actually fit or not.

Does anyone else has any experience with this or knows how to deal with this?
Zoe isn't ready yet to move to the living room fully, mainly because of Coco and she is also quite distracted when in the living room. Distracted enough she forgets about her cage (that I have put in the living room temporarily) and about getting seeds herself. She usually just hangs out around the budgie cage instead of her own.

But yeah, how do I protect the bed from cockatiel poo?

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Dropcloth. Bedsheet. Any kind of inexpensive blanket that is not important to you.

(I use a white woven cotton-blend thermal-type blanket. This is good because it can be washed on hot & even bleached IF needed.

However I have not used bleach since a few months after getting my birds, since I figure if I can smell it, it can harm them. Instead I add washing soda to all my laundry loads, and use vinegar in the rinse instead of softener. (Vinegar actually rinses away entirely and leaves clothes with NO odor at all.)

OP
L

LoyalOrange503

May 25, 2019
UK
Parrots
2 Budgies.
1 Cockatiel
Dropcloth. Bedsheet. Any kind of inexpensive blanket that is not important to you.

(I use a white woven cotton-blend thermal-type blanket. This is good because it can be washed on hot & even bleached IF needed.

However I have not used bleach since a few months after getting my birds, since I figure if I can smell it, it can harm them. Instead I add washing soda to all my laundry loads, and use vinegar in the rinse instead of softener. (Vinegar actually rinses away entirely and leaves clothes with NO odor at all.)

Thank you! I've found some blankets on ebay that i'm going to buy next week!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
BB likes my bed too. I lay a couple old large bath towels down and put his T-stand on it.

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts