Protective love bird?

Nov 21, 2021
Parrots
Peach faced Lovebird
Hello! I have a love bird that is about 6 months old, I donā€™t know the gender so Iā€™m just gonna say he. So he loves to play around and sit with me but around two months it was like he almost didnā€™t know my hands where apart of me, I know thatā€™s sounds weird but he would like attack my hands and bite me almost guarding but itā€™s been two month and he will just randomly bite my hands REALLY hard like just when heā€™s sitting on my finger. Itā€™s gotten to the point where Iā€™m alittle afraid to hold him in my hand, I didnā€™t know if it was just an age thing or if there was something I could do to get him to stop

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think a six month old lovebird is going through puberty and is about at his naughtiest. I would try getting him to stand in a stick or other perch when you get him out of his cage. Also maybe you can watch to see if he only bites after heā€™s been out 10-15 minutes? I had a small parrot who could only be on me for 10-15 min because after that he was so wound up he would bite and bite and bite. I thought it was kind of like having a yappy little dog. They just get so excited they could explode if they donā€™t BITE someone.

Here is a basket I made for another bird to perch and play on. It only cost a few dollars and he really likes it. Heā€™d rather be on the basket than on my shoulder.

Attachments

• 2D9B2037-1789-40F5-A195-0A6A7A9991BB.jpeg
    2D9B2037-1789-40F5-A195-0A6A7A9991BB.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 58

Most Reactions