PVC sleep perch

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, Lincoln has taken to sleeping on his play stand every night in the same spot. It's like 2" pvc I think and I worry how it might affect his foot health. he still has access to and uses natural perches throughout the day. What do you guys think? should I start actually putting him in his cage at night with the natural perches?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So, Lincoln has taken to sleeping on his play stand every night in the same spot. It's like 2" pvc I think and I worry how it might affect his foot health. he still has access to and uses natural perches throughout the day. What do you guys think? should I start actually putting him in his cage at night with the natural perches?
You could try wrapping the pvc it vet tape, or maybe some nights put him in his cage to sleep and other nights leave him on the stand?

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
You could try wrapping the pvc it vet tape, or maybe some nights put him in his cage to sleep and other nights leave him on the stand?
there is already vetwrap on it, I'm just concerned bc it has the same issue as dowel perches do where it's just too perfectly round

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’m really not sure.
Does he let you touch his feet? You can always check them for hot spots.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is odd how some Parrots choose their sleeping perches. I tend to look the other way as sleep is so important. That all said, the perfection of PVC pipe is a rightful concern. You're adding vet (sport) tape is a great idea. In that regard, consider varying the number of wraps and cross-overs to create inconsistent surface structure will help greatly.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Thinking out of the box a little... Maybe you could run some screws through the underside of the PVC pipe and attach a wood perch that's more suitable for him to stand on on the top side?

Most Reactions