Pyret

goose228

Mar 29, 2022
Media
Parrots
pineapple conure
not a parrot but a oriental white eye(rescued)
my second bird( a Indian white eye) passed away on the 9th of august this year, I was away and my helper was taking care of both my birds and sadly one had a seizure or something and died, off I didn't blame her but I've noticed that my there bird polly is a lot lonelier, I don't want to immediately get a new bird but I'm thinking of 3 species, a budgie, cockatiel, and a Indian ringneck- I don't want to get a green cheek as I don't want them to breed and polly is sometimes a bit rude to other birds and tends to not like green cheeks a lot(even though she is one), I have researched all of these species and I will continue to do more, but I just want some advice! thank you!
I couldn't add a picture of Pyret sorry.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This was the bird your green cheek was buddies with?

Unusual!

If that the case then a yellow budgies might work. Not in the same cage and taking it slow in letting them get to know each other. Individual results vary. And you should choose a parrot species that you want, that you want even if your gcc doesn't become friends with.

I've not really heard of gcc becoming friends with cockateils.

Gcc do become very jealous of new birds. And giving them lots if attention and reassurance. And really taking it slow with introducing. After your month of quarantine the new one. Have them in cafes on opposite sides of the room for weeks. Take each one and visit thr other while caged and give treats and praise to both. Many many times during those weeks. Put a chair next to ones cage and have the other out with you and just hang out giving treats here and there to both. Switch who's caged abd who is out.. But do not ever let a free bird climb on a valid birds cage. Thst would lead to fights or one getting toes or foot bitten off.

Then you can move the cafes to a couple of feet apart if that's how you will prefer to have the cages.

After weeks of this and when they get comfortable hanging out near and you've built lots if positive association by giving treats when near each other ( but one caged). You can try introducing them in a neutral location with plenty of room to retreat.

I like to do this on a table with a towel down so no slips, and out yummy food and set them up on opposite sides with me in the middle. I keep an envelope handy to place infront of one if trys to charge. So as not to cause hand fear. The goal is to have them completely relaxed abd eating their own food. Do not allow any fights or charges. If one acts up out it back and try again later. Repeat many times until always relaxed.

Then you might have one step up on one hand and one in the other. And for me I kiss and praise. ;)

Lots of patience and going slow works best.

I would recommend a conure species. As I think in time would have the higher chance of them being buddies

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts