QuackQuack New Cage

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
QuackQuack has spent his whole life in a cage more suited to a conure or a cockatiel:(, so when I rescued him I pledged to get him some swanky digs :D ! What do you guys think of the cage? Yes, that is a tree in there :cool: LOL Based on what I'm used to looking at with him, he looks so tiny in the new cage! He keeps looking around like 'HELLOOOOO IN THERE!!!"

Obviously, we have some shopping and toy making to get doing! Much more space to fill and some of the older toys didn't qualify for the transfer!

Attachments

• IMAG0384.jpg
    IMAG0384.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
WOW, he won't out grow that cage hahahahahaha. He looks tiny in it. But once it is loaded with toys, he will have a paradise. I love playtop cages. I wouldn't buy one without it.

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
My husband and I can both be in it and were when we put it together! Maybe the whole guilt about his former cage got to me ... a bit!

I know he looks like a little green cheek or something! Maybe that is fitting since his former cage was probably FOR a tiny conure!

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
WOW, he won't out grow that cage hahahahahaha. He looks tiny in it. But once it is loaded with toys, he will have a paradise. I love playtop cages. I wouldn't buy one without it.

Toy suggestions? In addition to the small cage he had before, I was informed that he probably didn't use/have toys. The rule I have found right now is...If it doesn't feed him, he doesn't want anything to do with it!

BirdieNumNum

Oct 19, 2011
NY/NJ
Parrots
1 Pineapple GCC
2 Cockatiels
2 Budgies
WOW that is an AMAZING cage!!!!!!!!!!! He'll definitely have a blast in it!! I love rope toys. If I were a bird I would play with rope toys :). Lol!! But seriously I would try buying him several different types of toys, not too expensive in case he doesn't like them, but once he decides which kind he likes you can buy him more! Are Amazons big shredders? You could buy him some shredding toys and wooden toys. :)

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
that is one kick-arse cage! I love the tree, it looks amazing and is totally practical. lucky quack-quack :)

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Wow! That's a nice cage! He does look so tiny in there lol. What are the dimensions?

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
I wish more people would realize that cheaping out on a cage is not the thing to do. I know money can be tight, but as I always say, before you buy a parrot, you'd better realize that the parrot is only 5% of the real expense.

A FANTASTIC cage. Quack Quack (Qweequeg? :09:) is one lucky bird. And a handsome devil too, I might add.

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
please let me caption!

"dude... check out this tree in my house...... no it's cool, don't call all-state, I got this."

It looks like he's looking up at the tree! What a WONDERFUL cage! <3 I bet he's super happy now!! As for toys, there's LOTS of toys that have nuts and stuff in them. Bleu came with one that's supposed to be for macaws so i took it out cause he's not a fan of it... ANYWAYS. It's green and orange and made of wood and has like, 10 walnuts stuffed in there! try something like that! I'm thinking about taking out the walnuts and putting in some peanuts or nutriberries or something as soon as i figure out how to take the wood apart a bit. I'm also a fan of getting untreated baskets, little ones, (or even weaving them from paper strips) and hanging them from the top of the cage filled with dried fruit and veggie strips! I want to try weaving fruit and veggie strips, but so far my endeavor hasn't been very fruitful (ooh look a pun! ha)

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
please let me caption!

"dude... check out this tree in my house...... no it's cool, don't call all-state, I got this."

It looks like he's looking up at the tree! What a WONDERFUL cage! <3 I bet he's super happy now!! As for toys, there's LOTS of toys that have nuts and stuff in them. Bleu came with one that's supposed to be for macaws so i took it out cause he's not a fan of it... ANYWAYS. It's green and orange and made of wood and has like, 10 walnuts stuffed in there! try something like that! I'm thinking about taking out the walnuts and putting in some peanuts or nutriberries or something as soon as i figure out how to take the wood apart a bit. I'm also a fan of getting untreated baskets, little ones, (or even weaving them from paper strips) and hanging them from the top of the cage filled with dried fruit and veggie strips! I want to try weaving fruit and veggie strips, but so far my endeavor hasn't been very fruitful (ooh look a pun! ha)

LOL!!! THAT IS SO FUNNY! I love your interpretation of his thoughts - perhaps right on :D ?! He is still adjusting well, eating, preening, and talking in the new cage. I'm going to the birdy store today (hopefully) to get some new toys

Thanks for your responses everyone - I really appreciate the feedback ;) !

OP
QuackQuack

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
I wish more people would realize that cheaping out on a cage is not the thing to do. I know money can be tight, but as I always say, before you buy a parrot, you'd better realize that the parrot is only 5% of the real expense.

A FANTASTIC cage. Quack Quack (Qweequeg? :09:) is one lucky bird. And a handsome devil too, I might add.

Funny you should mention QueeQueg! It was the one name I considered switching to because I thought he'd hand it well, but in the end, his old name won out in the battle. I WON'T tell him you said he's a handsome devil...he will get a big birdy head ;) - I think he's setting up to invite some sexy hens over later!
In the case of his former cage, it doesn't look like they tried to skimp as it is good quality and not much cheaper than a larger cage. It seems like the former owner was just poorly informed :( - also way too common!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
He does look tiny in it lol. Lovely cage! Like the tree branch too : )

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
When I rescued Kiwi she didn't have toys and I am not sure if she ever had toys. She is also 15 and didn't seem in the least bit interested in them. I kept giving her different toys, lots of foraging toys (in which I would stuff nutriberries, pellets, nuts) this kind of enticed her to check them out and interact with them. I then tried to buy toys that were easily destroyed, I thought it might increase her confidence if she could actually destroy something. I bought her a toy that with a normal amazon would last minutes (wood duck, with ropes and beads hanging off of it) Well she started nibbling at it for months, then one day we woke up and half was gone, we bought her a new one and she destroyed it over night. That began her toy play, once she was able to destroy something she realized that "oh it's fun!" Maybe you could try this with Quack Quack!

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
If I were a bird I'd totally want that cage. I wish I had room for bigger cages for my two conures. Their cages are plenty big, but I think they'd really enjoy the tree.

logansmith

Dec 28, 2011
This is the wonderful moment that when you purchase a new house at that time you are so happy . This is also like that . but sometime birds are feeling not that much comfortable as they are happy with old.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That is one awesome cage! My rescued zon was also in a cage that was too small. He had one perch and a food and water bowl and that was it. I don't think a toy could have fit in there with him. It was a good quality cage, but smaller than what I kept my conures in. I put him in my BC's old cage, which is an amazon or grey cage. Right away I could tell he was happy with it. He climbed all over and flapped his wings.

He is still learning about toys. He ignored them completely for a couple of weeks, but is now playing with them. He keeps getting himself in trouble by getting on one and hanging upside down or sideways and then can't figure out how to get off. I'm resisting the urge to rescue him though as he is smart enough to figure it out. I suspect his athletic abilities need to be developed because he doesn't have practice or experience. But, he hasn't actually fallen or anything even though he gets into predicaments. I'm sure his natural parrot tendencies will take root.

Most Reactions

Latest posts