ILoveMYFeathered5

Aug 27, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Green Cheek Conure
Cockatiel
Sun Cheek Conure
Love Bird
Bogey ( Quaker) is 1 year old, DNA blood, tested male.
He is eating normal
Poop is normal

But his behavior is kind of normal. For the last couple of days, he has be gather his shredded paper and foot toys and hanging out the bottom of the cage. He will gather his toys and sleep on top of them. He kind of puffs up, but not really. It can get a little chilly in this room.
He will go up and play with his toys or hangout on his higher perches.
Is any of this normal?
20210804_093055.jpg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The biggest tip off will be weight. Daily weight checks when anything seems off.

Any fluffy, makes me want a vet check. Play at bottom of cage is ok, sleeping down their would freak me out.

Burds hide being sick until they can't. Catching things early leads to recovery.

I use a radiant heat panel for warmth. Do not use a heat lamp ever. But you can perches a cage warmer. I use sweeter hester smallest panel set back several inches its powerful. But I know some people have used that little metal one.

Yes your but looks beautiful and in good weight in pic. But that is all revelant.

I have had to deal with sick burds and any extra naps or minor fluffing has me calling the vet.

Also look at cage and light , do you need to re arrange? Is it to dark up high and better light lower? Do yiu have some wide perches? Like if you make an ok with finger then widen it an inch.. at least one perch should be that wide. The majority of perches sold are to small even for our quakers Personally I've never had a bird nap on the bottom unless sick.

Last edited:
OP
I

ILoveMYFeathered5

Aug 27, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Green Cheek Conure
Cockatiel
Sun Cheek Conure
Love Bird
The biggest tip off will be weight. Daily weight checks when anything seems off.

Any fluffy, makes me want a vet check. Play at bottom of cage is ok, sleeping down their would freak me out.

Burds hide being sick until they can't. Catching things early leads to recovery.

I use a radiant heat panel for warmth. Do not use a heat lamp ever. But you can perches a cage warmer. I use sweeter hester smallest panel set back several inches its powerful. But I know some people have used that little metal one.

Yes your but looks beautiful and in good weight in pic. But that is all revelant.

I have had to deal with sick burds and any extra naps or minor fluffing has me calling the vet.

Also look at cage and light , do you need to re arrange? Is it to dark up high and better light lower? Do yiu have some wide perches? Like if you make an ok with finger then widen it an inch.. at least one perch should be that wide. The majority of perches sold are to small even for our quakers Personally I've never had a bird nap on the bottom unless sick.
After I wrote this, I called, his breeder. She completely thinks that Bogey is coming into sexual maturity. She said, they all do it.
He spent the rest of the day, acting completely normal.
Now, he is settle at the bottom of his cage again, so I dont know...
As far, perches goes, the are all different sizes and different textures. He also, has a hut, that he normally sleeps in at night or for a nap.
I have double checked his light and I think it is ok.

I am going to keep a close eye on him. The Avary Vet is not too far from me.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've had one male and 2 female go through homone and maturity, and I have not had this

OP
I

ILoveMYFeathered5

Aug 27, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Green Cheek Conure
Cockatiel
Sun Cheek Conure
Love Bird
I've had one male and 2 female go through homone and maturity, and I have not had this
Well, I guess a learning experience for both of us.
Last night Bogey went and slept in his hut, which I was happy to see.
Today, Bogey has spent his whole day, working at completely shredding a shred toy that his has ignored in his cage for the last 6 months. I would have removed it completely months ago, had it not been so expensive. But anyway, he is carefully taking each piece, to the part of the cage that he has been sitting, arranging it and carefully weaving the shreddings around the toys he had been sitting on.
I know he was blood DNA tested. At this point, I am just waiting to see if, maybe there was a mistake made at the lab, and Mrs. Bogey lays an egg.
You can see his nest at the bottom of the cage, he got startled when I jumped up to take the picture to show you.

Attachments

• 20210828_231418.jpg
    20210828_231418.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 95

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh wow! Is creative! Thank goodness doesn't seem to be down there for health reasons!! Yippee!!

I think males are the main builders of nest structures, though both are build . My male did the most weaving and building. Tho not as much as yours . He is going to town!!! I have a girl now that does some stuffing of stuff in her sleep hut.

During breeding season, they can be much louder. Launch from cage to protect it.. away from cage still good. Spring next year might be his worst as his first bug season to ride out those hormones

Most Reactions