Quaker at petshop

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
There a one year old quaker at the petshop where I rescued my mistreated conure from. I asked them to show me him and they took me into a room with baby birds screaming and cramped spaces. When she took him out he was a little bit cage attached..grabbed onto it.. but when he was on her shoulder he was very nice. he did nip her while she grabbed him..but it was soft. I'm interested in him. Does anyone think he can be helped? I feel like if I take him out of that noisy place he'd be a lot nicer. His personality is a lot like a grumpy old man. I think its just because of the situation hes in.. only getting attention when its to be plucked from your cage, fed, or bothered by strangers.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Quakers are delightful little birds but as they are the only nest building parrot, they are very territorial. They don't just build nests, they build condominiums and live in large flocks so defending their personal territory is a big deal for them. You need to have clear rules about proper etiquette for getting out of the cage and that may have to be re established regularly. Also they need lots of time away from their cage so they don't become more cage-bound than they already are. They are very adaptable, durable little birds and I think as long as you understand their nesting instincts you will get along fine. A lot of them are great talkers also.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I would imagine that the Quaker could be helped, and a change of surroundings would be a good first step. At just a year old, he's still very young, and his behavior can be changed. It may require a lot of time and infinite patience, but it is possible.

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure
I would imagine that the Quaker could be helped, and a change of surroundings would be a good first step. At just a year old, he's still very young, and his behavior can be changed. It may require a lot of time and infinite patience, but it is possible.
I would agree! Any bird can be helped and gain trust with enough time and patience if you're willing to put in the work. :)

Just make sure you have a think about your current situation and Conure first. While everyone wants to help animals when they can, sometimes we have to think about our own family and pre-existing birds first. If you're Conure displays any kind of aggressiveness or territorial displays you may want to reconsider it, unless you're happy to work around separate out-of-cage time and stuff.

If you think you can make it work, I'd say go for it. :) It sounds like he needs a loving home.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Please remember that every time you 'rescue' a bird from a bad petshop, you are encouraging them to buy more birds.
It truly is a terrible situation - there's no right or wrong way around it. :(

OP
B

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
I got very lucky with my conure, I've had her for a few weeks and she never bites, never chews, is very very gentle, a little timid but very sweet. no territorial problems at all! she let me flight suit her with no problems too

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
I know how you feel about rescuing birds from bad stores. I went to a store the other day, the usually only have parakeets and finches, occasionally a cocketeil. This time they had a GCC. The poor baby had no toys at all and was biting his tail feathers and playing with the feathers. :( I am so tempted to rescue him, he is shy but interested in me when I talk to him and look at him sideways. But I know they might start carrying GCC all the time if they keep selling, so I'm trying to resist but it is hard!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
its so hard to resist! i think you should buy him, but right a letter to them about the condition of their birds. i rescued two finches from Pet supplies plus, the employees knew NOTHING, and the birds were half dead, it makes me so angry!

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
you could definatly tame him down. it woul be great to rescue another bird as long as you can take good care of him

Most Reactions