Quaker baby question

tmorina

Jun 4, 2013
Japan
Parrots
Baby quaker parrot
8 years old rock conure
Hello all.
I recently got a 2 mo Quaker parrot baby. He still eats baby bird food and I feed him 3 times a day.

The problem is that whenever I try to take him out of his cage, he gets scared of my hands/fingers and try to run away. But he is tamed and I have no problem once I take him out of his cage. I can hand feed him, touch him. He even sleeps in my hand.

Why is he doing this? Also sometimes he try to fly away from me to the window. why is that also?

I only have him for a couples of days. Is this a reason?

It is so different from when I got my Conure...so I am a little worried if he is going to be okay with us.

Thanks for reading.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your young quaker! I am not familiar with them nor conures for comparison so can only share generalities.

Your quaker is still adjusting to a new home and seems on the cusp of completing the weaning process. Reticence to exit cage may simply be normal clinging to security, not likely "cage aggression." Can you coax him out with a special treat?

Many parronts prefer "abundance weaning" whereby baby food (formula?) is given alongside adult foods of fresh veggies/fruits, seeds and/or pellets. Eventually your bird will make conscious choice preferring solid foods without duress of time/schedule based withdrawal.

Flying is natural for birds once they develop sufficient feathers to test their skills. Do you perceived him as flying "away" from you vs natural exploration? Please use caution to avoid injury or loss by securing doors/windows shut, perhaps window coverings as birds often perceive glass as opening to the great outdoors. Many folks endorse a "guided tour" method whereby you walk with bird in hand and bring face to face with prominent objects in the room(s).

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Quakers are hand shy I read......so I approached mine with sleeves over my hands at first. that helped. NOW.... my hands are toys and I have no fingernails, nor hang nails. So cover your hands for a bit but realize your hands are going to be their favorite toy after a while. also....you cell phone Quakers are all about cell phones, get baby phone app for your cell that locks them out soo they can't call japan or trade your stocks.

OP
T

tmorina

Jun 4, 2013
Japan
Parrots
Baby quaker parrot
8 years old rock conure
Thank you for all, and small update on my new quaker baby.

@Scott
I am following your "abundance weaning" I've noticed he is eating less baby food and more vegetables. Not so into seeds for some reason.

Now he is fully flighted and can go around his room without crushing anything.
He flies away when trying to get him to go back to his cage. He often refuses to step up , because he thinks stepping up hands=cage&no freedom.
It is difficult to treat him with some treats, because he doesn't into any seeds/food, or eating yet. I do praise him and scratch his head when he does, but it isn't working well.

I don't know why he prefers to be alone playing than being with human. Quaker personality or just his personality? It's very different from my clingy conure and I feel a little lost.

Any way to bond with him will be appreciated.

OP
T

tmorina

Jun 4, 2013
Japan
Parrots
Baby quaker parrot
8 years old rock conure
Still having trouble teaching/training him to step up...
any advice?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you for all, and small update on my new quaker baby.

@Scott
I am following your "abundance weaning" I've noticed he is eating less baby food and more vegetables. Not so into seeds for some reason.

Now he is fully flighted and can go around his room without crushing anything.
He flies away when trying to get him to go back to his cage. He often refuses to step up , because he thinks stepping up hands=cage&no freedom.
It is difficult to treat him with some treats, because he doesn't into any seeds/food, or eating yet. I do praise him and scratch his head when he does, but it isn't working well.

I don't know why he prefers to be alone playing than being with human. Quaker personality or just his personality? It's very different from my clingy conure and I feel a little lost.

Any way to bond with him will be appreciated.

Transition to fresh foods a good sign, continue with formula until he consistently rejects. Honestly, feeding seeds highly debatable subject with many parronts preferring a quality pellet. Might read up on both views or offer combination as supplement to veggies + fruit. Have you offered small bits of almond or walnut, a treat beloved by many parrots. Alternatives include pieces of NutriBerries, small chunks of whole grain bread, plain Cheerios...

Never had a Quaker so cannot comment on personality but many members share stories of close relationships! Bonding and building trust tips here: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
OP
T

tmorina

Jun 4, 2013
Japan
Parrots
Baby quaker parrot
8 years old rock conure
Transition to fresh foods a good sign, continue with formula until he consistently rejects. Honestly, feeding seeds highly debatable subject with many parronts preferring a quality pellet. Might read up on both views or offer combination as supplement to veggies + fruit. Have you offered small bits of almond or walnut, a treat beloved by many parrots. Alternatives include pieces of NutriBerries, small chunks of whole grain bread, plain Cheerios...

Never had a Quaker so cannot comment on personality but many members share stories of close relationships! Bonding and building trust tips here: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
Thank you Scott.
I will keep providing both seeds and pellets. He seems like not liking pellet much lately. He looks like that he keeps finding his favorite thing and sticking to it for a while and then he moves on to something else. Now he is into millets and some super small black seeds come in seed mix.
He still eats formulas 3 times a day, and I will keep that way till he refuses it.

OP
T

tmorina

Jun 4, 2013
Japan
Parrots
Baby quaker parrot
8 years old rock conure
keep using sleeves and treats. I can't get mine off me see... http://www.parrotforums.com/quakers/89727-more-evidence-i-m-bad-parrot-owner-growling.html video. They bond very hard once you earn trust. Also take him/her places once they step up. excitement.
Thank you, clark_conure.
Your quaker is beautiful and so sweet that s/he keeps flying to you!
I think me and my quaker is getting closer than before. He flies to me and likes to spend time around me more than before.

OP
T

tmorina

Jun 4, 2013
Japan
Parrots
Baby quaker parrot
8 years old rock conure
So I've been working on him to step up. He isn't afraid of hands and doesn't mid being touched or handled at all. He never bites strong or anything.

However, he hates step up. We are having trouble making him train step up. When he is in his stand and when I say to step up, he becomes like a stone status and doesn't move, nor step up. I think he thinks stepping up hands equals going back to his cage... He doesn't mind stepping up on some sticks.

Any good idea teaching him to step up on human hands???

Angelina.M.

Sep 14, 2021
Media
Parrots
Yellow sided green-cheek conure
Quakers are hand shy I read......so I approached mine with sleeves over my hands at first. that helped. NOW.... my hands are toys and I have no fingernails, nor hang nails. So cover your hands for a bit but realize your hands are going to be their favorite toy after a while. also....you cell phone Quakers are all about cell phones, get baby phone app for your cell that locks them out soo they can't call japan or trade your stocks.
That's hilarious I have the same issue with my Quaker I wear long fake nails and it is his favorite toy😂🤣 he tries to rip them from my hands constantly it is so funny and we FaceTime family in another state and he loves to sit on the phone and hang up on them or fly directly and I need from the phone funny to see your similar interactions

Most Reactions

Latest posts