Quaker being drama queen with other people. What do I do?

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
Huffle my male quaker is not social, not at all. He is bonded with me and have bin for 2 years nearly 3 never shown any territorial behaviour or too much aggression. My family have been trying to get him to become more social but every time someone else tries to handle him he screams and bites. And doesn't approve with anyone but me to touch his cage. All the time when my sister sits on the sofa he tries to attack her, not playful but actual aggression whenever he is with someone else and I am around he is annoyed. But if I am not around he bites and shouts. What do I do? 🙁

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Huffle my male quaker is not social, not at all. He is bonded with me and have bin for 2 years nearly 3 never shown any territorial behaviour or too much aggression. My family have been trying to get him to become more social but every time someone else tries to handle him he screams and bites. And doesn't approve with anyone but me to touch his cage. All the time when my sister sits on the sofa he tries to attack her, not playful but actual aggression whenever he is with someone else and I am around he is annoyed. But if I am not around he bites and shouts. What do I do? 🙁
At least he likes you! Some birds are one person birds and I'm not sure you can do much about that. You don't want anyone to get "severely" bitten. I would keep him in his cage when you aren't there to supervise. Maybe a PF member can give you some advice on getting him to stop attacking other people.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Quakers are notoriously cage protective, so maybe keeping his cage in a different room/area and having a large playstand in your family area will help.

OP
Thehuffle

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
Huffle the grey Quaker parrot, poe the white & blue budgie, 2 breeding cockatiels
2 conures.
Quakers are notoriously cage protective, so maybe keeping his cage in a different room/area and having a large playstand in your family area will help.
Thanks that will be considered 😊

OP
Thehuffle

Thehuffle

Oct 20, 2023
Media
Parrots
2 conures.
At least he likes you! Some birds are one person birds and I'm not sure you can do much about that. You don't want anyone to get "severely" bitten. I would keep him in his cage when you aren't there to supervise. Maybe a PF member can give you some advice on getting him to stop attacking other people.
Yes we aren't going to put him with anyone without my supervision anymore to prevent incidents , thank you for the comment 😊

Most Reactions

Latest posts