Quaker in apartment

hbebrown

Sep 22, 2015
Nova Scotia
Good day!! I've had my cockatiel for about two years now, and have kept him successfully in various apartments the whole time. I've been thinking of introducing a Quaker into my home and was curious about their noise level. I've heard them in pet stores before (not planning on supporting one) and they don't sound loud enough to land me a noise complaint, but I don't know if I've heard one at their loudest or if it would be too noisy combined with my cockatiel. Mojo tends to be pretty quiet throughout the day but he has a typical male flock call when he wants my attention. I guess I'm just wondering if a quaker's noise level is more severe than that. Thank you:)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Depends on the individual bird. But quakers do get pretty loud at times. I’m sure many quaker owners live in apartments and are fine, but other times it can’t work out.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As rule quakers like to make noise, and can have a tendency to scream especially when caged.

When mine are screaming you can hear it from the street infront of my house. My neighbors don't hear inside their houses, but they can hear from their yard.

But there are always quiter individuals and personalities. I have one that would be fine, but that's kinda the exception , at least with the 3 others I've had

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
As a public service, lol, I'm going to have to capture mine in full screaming mode one if these days....thankfully after a lot if work to stop prevent it doesn't happen often.( out if cage occupied)

This is the closest youtube of it. ( others made me laugh as those were not full screaming psrrots) turn it up. Imagine it going on for awhile. They are often re homed for the noise

But when you have your own home, especially if you can have them out a lot. They are a great parrot. BUt as an intelligent highly social active species, long hours caged often lead to screaming and plucking . Unlike say a green cheek or cockatiel, more like a cockatoo

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
quakers make noise and it's usually loud! it is .(PERIOD)

In a house ok, in an apartment, you might be stabbed by a neighbor.....

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
As a public service, lol, I'm going to have to capture mine in full screaming mode one if these days....thankfully after a lot if work to stop prevent it doesn't happen often.( out if cage occupied)

This is the closest youtube of it. ( others made me laugh as those were not full screaming psrrots) turn it up. Imagine it going on for awhile. They are often re homed for the noise

But when you have your own home, especially if you can have them out a lot. They are a great parrot. BUt as an intelligent highly social active species, long hours caged often lead to screaming and plucking . Unlike say a green cheek or cockatiel, more like a cockatoo

My dog usually doesn't react to bird videos but this one woke her up from a sound sleep 😂 running to the door half barking (we've been training "inside voice" for alert barking) 😂🤣😂

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My dog usually doesn't react to bird videos but this one woke her up from a sound sleep 😂 running to the door half barking (we've been training "inside voice" for alert barking) 😂🤣😂
Just you wait till I can catch mine, there is more ooph and a 3 part sound repeated over and over im not sure how to describe...maybe like braying

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph is a relatively quiet Quaker, which is not to say that he's never noisy. He's been living in an apartment for 12 years with no complaints. There are children and dogs in our building who are much louder and noisier than Ralph at his worst-- that being when he does a Quaker alarm call.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I live in an apartment also, I have for several years with a Quaker (two different birds as the first died of old age). I have never had a problem with noise. I’m pretty quiet and my birds are, too. I don’t think they are always loud. But, they can have a burst of loud….

Most Reactions