Quaker parrot not drinking

sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
quaker parrot / monk parakeet
cockatiel
I got my 2 year old quaker parrot about 4 days ago. He acts like he has lived here for a long time- he's not afraid of hands (or human presence in general), takes treats out of the hand, does not attempt to escape when outside the cage and even comes to check out what is someone doing when curious. We even started doing some target training and he's doing amazing.

But there's the problem.
He eats, flies and all, but he doesn't drink. It's not like I just never saw him drinking- the level of water is always the same.
2 days ago i dipped my finger in the water (because at this point i thought that it might be too cold for him) and he immediately opened his beak. I moved the finger to him and he proceeded to lick the water of of it. After there was no more he stopped and opened his beak again. I repeated the action some more times (like 13) and he stopped opening his beak.
And before somebody suggests that- no, he's not trying to bite. We're free to touch whatever we want in the cage- he never bit us for these things.
I even got him 2 different types of water distributors, but when i returned home the water level was the same on each one (I marked it).
Today i had the same situation. He was active in his cage, even played with toys, but no water went missing... but guess what happened when i dipped my finger into the water again.
Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? I never had any of these problems with birds i had before him.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
He's still new so it could be that...

We had a member just recently with the exact same issue.

Does he eat veggies/fruit? If so, give him veggies/fruit high in water just for now too keep him hydrated, such as cucumber, watermelon, lettuce, you can give iceberg lettuce as it's high in water(before someone says it's unsafe, no it's not, it's just very high in water and has no nutritional value)

OP
sundae

sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
cockatiel
He's still new so it could be that...

We had a member just recently with the exact same issue.

Does he eat veggies/fruit? If so, give him veggies/fruit high in water just for now too keep him hydrated, such as cucumber, watermelon, lettuce, you can give iceberg lettuce as it's high in water(before someone says it's unsafe, no it's not, it's just very high in water and has no nutritional value)
I gave him an apple today, hoping for the best.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcoming you to the forum! Would love pictures!

you can I would put a camera on him.

Bird are vulnerable when drinking and rarely drink in our presence. They don't drink that much anyway.

I have a bunch of birds, and home. Its extremely rare for me to ever see one drinking, over years.

You can also check that poop has creamy white urate and a little liquid.

It's always great to be observant and concerned about our loves.

But I think everything is ok.

Mine will drink anything from my fingers as well. Or steal from my cup

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
You could also see if he likes a bath, a light misting would mean he would get some water in him while he is preening and he may really enjoy it as well:)

I also think he is drinking when you aren't looking, my birds levels never do down very much. But it's always better to make sure.
One surefire way for me to tell my flock is drinking is bring my own glass of water in. Everyone always has to have a drink.

OP
sundae

sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
cockatiel
Welcoming you to the forum! Would love pictures!

you can I would put a camera on him.

Bird are vulnerable when drinking and rarely drink in our presence. They don't drink that much anyway.

I have a bunch of birds, and home. Its extremely rare for me to ever see one drinking, over years.

You can also check that poop has creamy white urate and a little liquid.

It's always great to be observant and concerned about our loves.

But I think everything is ok.

Mine will drink anything from my fingers as well. Or steal from my cup
Hey so I found what the issue was! It was really unexpected, but... He didn't know how to use the water dispenser or bowl.
I put some water on my finger as usual and lured him to the dispenser as he tried to lick the water off. Then I proceeded to put the finger in the water so he would drink himself... and it worked. After I retreated the finger, he drank.
Today I saw him drinking from the same dispenser too. He won't touch the water bowl, even for a bath.
I really don't know what happened or why he didn't know how to drink, it's the first time I adopted an "older" bird with a complicated past.

OP
sundae

sundae

Mar 7, 2022
hell
Parrots
cockatiel
You could also see if he likes a bath, a light misting would mean he would get some water in him while he is preening and he may really enjoy it as well:)

I also think he is drinking when you aren't looking, my birds levels never do down very much. But it's always better to make sure.
One surefire way for me to tell my flock is drinking is bring my own glass of water in. Everyone always has to have a drink.
I did put the camera on for one day... and he didn't touch the water at all. Yesterday I solved the problem and now he drinks normally- he didn't know that he can drink from the bowl or the dispenser. How? I don't know. He started drinking regularly only after I showed him how

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I did put the camera on for one day... and he didn't touch the water at all. Yesterday I solved the problem and now he drinks normally- he didn't know that he can drink from the bowl or the dispenser. How? I don't know. He started drinking regularly only after I showed him how
I’m glad you figured it out. I hope he was getting some water. The poor bird.

I lost a Quaker that I adopted when the water bottle got ‘stuck’ and stopped working. I didn’t figure out what was going on until I found him deceased. I felt HORRIBLE about it but I really didn’t know what was happening. The bird was fine until it wasn't.

Most Reactions