Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
My Quaker parrot has pin feathers and I was wondering if I should remove them or not. I believe I saw a video saying that you should, but I havenā€™t yet because I donā€™t want to hurt my bird. Should I remove them or should I wait until they come out themselves. What should I do? (His pin feathers are at the top of his head meaning he canā€™t reach them, he doesnā€™t have a friend to help him either)

Last edited:
OP
EngineerGaming
Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
My Quaker parrot has pin feathers and I was wondering if I should remove them or not. I believe I saw a video saying that you should, but I havenā€™t yet because I donā€™t want to hurt my bird. Should I remove them or should I wait until they come out themselves. What should I do?
Also I have done my research but I havenā€™t really gotten a clear response so thatā€™s why Iā€™m asking here so I donā€™t end up doing anything wrong

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I donā€™t recall how tame your bird is. Many quakers love to have their people rub their head and neck and give them a little jaw massage. My Quaker wants me to groom his head but if I mess up then he gives me a pinch.

I would suggest you try to rub your birdā€™s head. I tackle the quill like pinfeathers by rolling between my fingertips or fingernails. Unfortunately Iā€™m not perfect at this and sometimes a pin gets pulled out or pushed at a funny angle. But you can try. Or you can gently blow or breathe warm air on top of his head.

My Quakers have all put their heads down towards me when they wanted a scritch. But maybe your bird doesnā€™t know to do that yet.

How does that idea sound? Your bird will love having your help on some of those pinfeathers.

I couldnā€™t find a more instructive pose but yes, your bird may come to ā€œaskā€ for and expect pets and head scritches.

B8FBB24E-A40C-4B72-9297-28E040155195.jpeg

OP
EngineerGaming
Aug 17, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet, Quaker parrot
I donā€™t recall how tame your bird is. Many quakers love to have their people rub their head and neck and give them a little jaw massage. My Quaker wants me to groom his head but if I mess up then he gives me a pinch.

I would suggest you try to rub your birdā€™s head. I tackle the quill like pinfeathers by rolling between my fingertips or fingernails. Unfortunately Iā€™m not perfect at this and sometimes a pin gets pulled out or pushed at a funny angle. But you can try. Or you can gently blow or breathe warm air on top of his head.

My Quakers have all put their heads down towards me when they wanted a scritch. But maybe your bird doesnā€™t know to do that yet.

How does that idea sound? Your bird will love having your help on some of those pinfeathers.

I couldnā€™t find a more instructive pose but yes, your bird may come to ā€œaskā€ for and expect pets and head scritches.

View attachment 44943
My Quaker parrot is pretty tame, heā€™s only accustomed to me since Iā€™ve been feeding him ever since he was a baby, he does what your parrot does, he likes when I give Him head scratches but will give me a little pinch if he doesnā€™t like it or if he wants me to stop. Also thanks for the suggestion

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
When they are dry you can rub try and pinch on them and the dust falls off and the new feather fluffs out. Not remove feather. Its an art in dexterity lol and you improve with practice.

Extra baths and misting will also help them shed the sheath around the new feather

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When they are dry you can rub try and pinch on them and the dust falls off and the new feather fluffs out. Not remove feather. Its an art in dexterity lol and you improve with practice.

Extra baths and misting will also help them shed the sheath around the new feather
What she said. Your fingers will get to know when a pinfeather is ready to be ā€˜crackedā€™. And yes your guy will nip you if you accidentally pull one out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts