Quaker parrot plucking tail?

Kendallmp19

Apr 22, 2022
Parrots
Green Quaker
Hello, I bought Taro (now 10-11 months) at a pet store. I was told that he had bitten off one of his toe because of the stress of moving into the store. Knowing this I still got him and hadn’t had issues with anything until now. He has been plucking his tail feathers?? I found one feather on the floor the other day and brushed it off as an accident but the next day I see another that has been plucked off? Is this plucking or preening? I’m super worried and want to help him. Here is a video of watching him mess with them and second is the feather with the shaft split from chewing?
5C886E8B-7336-4B81-BC5B-4BE0C9380D36.jpeg
Video

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The video is normal, getting preen gland then preening tail feathers all normal.
The feathers looks old and likely was time to shed it out and grow a new one.
Love your sweet baby!
Great cage great toys.

This narrow tail feathers shows his nutrition was not optimal during weaning probably. My Phoebe came with very narrow tail feathers and I think she was forced weaned onto zoopreem. With better nutrition her new feathers are normal.

I would suggest occasionally doing a light fine mist. Spray up sbd let fine mist fall down on them. Just very very light mist don't make wet. This helps burds learn to preen better learn better. Not a full soaking.

He was a little rough on one festger but it was lack of practice not behavior destruction type.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh this was your first post! Welcome!!! I hope you stick around and jump in on topics! Lots of super awesome people here@ and a few of us have quakers!

Quakers really take to veggies quickly, at kest I've found that to be true! Bell pepper, cooked sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, thawed frozen peas, sugar snap peas, broccoli ok ill stop long list!

OP
K

Kendallmp19

Apr 22, 2022
Parrots
Green Quaker
Oh this was your first post! Welcome!!! I hope you stick around and jump in on topics! Lots of super awesome people here@ and a few of us have quakers!

Quakers really take to veggies quickly, at kest I've found that to be true! Bell pepper, cooked sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, thawed frozen peas, sugar snap peas, broccoli ok ill stop long list!
Thank you!!! I am loving this place so far! You eased my worries, I will take your advice and mist him. He doesn’t like veggies as much as he likes plain noodles but we’re trying!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Steam and mince some veggies and mince the pasta snd mix all together maybe will nibble .

But keep trying !
Tips

Most Reactions

Latest posts